Looking for a good American made battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: totegoat
I'm having good luck with Motorcraft MAX batteries.

Me too. One of the best batteries I have had, but not sure where they are made.

Northerstar has some great batteries but unfortunately they don't last much longer in starting applications than a good flooded lead acid so the cost of ownership is higher.

Thanks for all the good info everyone. I ended up getting a battery at o'Reillys. I got the super start extreme. I had a 5 dollar coupon for the store so i decided to get it there. The guy that picked the battery asked the counter guy if it was a 24 or 24 r and the counter guy gave him bad info.

I got home and the posts were in the wrong spot. I should have checked before I left but I didn't, so I went back and swapped the battery out for the right one which was actually 10.00 more, but they adjusted the price since I had to come back. They were very apologetic and I never asked them to match the price of the first battery they sold me. I didn't expect that, it was no big deal to me. Stuff happens and if that's the worst thing that happened to me today, I am doing good.

Very good customer service. Only bad thing is the wrong battery they gave me was made this month, the correct battery was made in January of 17. I was excited to get the just made one...lol. But two months old isn't bad.

I am a happy camper.

On a side note, Napa is the only independently owned parts store in town since car quest closed, but the owner has the attitude that he is a big fish in a small pond. Some of Napa's help is good, but the owner acts like he does not want to be bothered with some things. Its sad, but they don't have a machine shop anymore, they have a brake lathe but act like they are doing you a big favor if they machine rotors for you, he would rather sell you 25 dollar junk rotors instead of machining your factory rotors, which are superior in many cases IMHO.

Anyway, I can see O'reillys and autozone putting Napa out of business here. Their customer service is so much better than napa's its actually sad.

Last edited:
I'd pass on a Saudi made anything, otherwise I could care less.

The AAP codes are hard to beat.

Maybe but maybe not... Those Northstar made batteries relabeled X2 batteries have a 5 year free replacement warranty from batteries plus bulbs. 2 yrs longer than the flooded lead acid batteries. If one takes the Northstar battery off and charges it properly every so often I would bet good money it would out last a flooded lead acid battery by quite a bit.

Last edited:
Deka and JC were mentioned, but might have missed someone mentioning Exide. I have hauled all three brands from manufacturing plants here in the U.S.

Exide....ugh... the kiss of death as far as batteries are concerned.

My last Duralast (AZ) went almost 7 years, but when pricing a replacement, WalMart had AZ & AAP beat by a longshot--even with AAP % off. Turns out Duralast & WalMart batteries are made by JC, so in the end, prolly the same battery !
Steve

Exide I buy is $89 for 30 month free replacement and that is about what they last.
Problem with Interstate for me is this Amway effect of who winds up selling them. I did my research and decided I wanted one - I go to the only mom & pop in town who has them - he looks it up and says don't have that one and walks off ...

If you consider an ACDelco battery, read the label very carefully. Many of them are made in the USA, but I have encountered many that were made in South Korea.

I think the one I have in my car is made in the USA (Group 35 with the highest CCA) but I installed one that was made in South Korea on a friend's car (Group 26R the only CCA option they had)

Does your car have the European style battery with notches where the terminals are? Some of those are made in the USA, some are made in Germany, and some are made in Spain, so you have to read the label.

Had a Deka/Duracell AGM from Sam's Club die this week- 2 yrs old.
Had a 3 year warranty so they gave me another- it is also a Deka/Duracell but now shows Made in Mexico.

Crown

Trojan

Lifeline/Concorde

Northstar

Odyssey

All made in the USA.

The Key to maximizing lead acid battery longevity is proper prompt recharging to a true full full state of charge after any level of discharge.

The key to achievineg true full state of charge is getting the battery terminal voltage to the mid 14 range for as long as required.

NO Vehicle does this, and from 80% charged to 100% charged, takes NO LESS than 3.5 hours, assuming that the battery is held at 14.5v for that duration.

So one can listen to their stereo off for 20 minutes at loud volume, deplete a 100% charged battery to 80%, and their vehicle, driven for an hour at 13.8v, will only have the battery in the 90% range. DO not believe the voltage measurement taken right after starting is the voltage always sought and held. it is NOT.

most smart chargers will stop in the 92 to 95% range too as each and every automatic charger's voltage regulation algorithm will prefer to undercharge than overcharge and this causes sulfation, and capacity and cranking amp degradation. How fast it happens is determined by how low and how long it remains there, and the average battery temperature.

So everybody who believes who makes the battery determines its longevity is misguided. it is the voltage regulation of their charging sources and the durations at which higher vltages are held, and the average battery temperature, which play the biggest parts in battery longevity.

Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
Originally Posted by E150GT
Hmmm. I wish we could get Japanese made Panasonic batteries here.

I know that back in 2004 when I had my Mazda Protege, the dealer sold Panasonic batteries. They may still.......

Mitsubishi dealers should still do. They come OEM in the evos and I've never had an issue with them. Didn't even have to jump the car when it was down for 4 months due to a blown engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back