Any reason I shouldn't run Red Line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amalie invented multi-grade oil in the fifties. Yet, what happens to a company in all those years can mean its behind.

Originally Posted By: metalbender
2. Manual recommends GF-3, API SL, ACEA A1/B1, 5W-30 from -22F to 86F

What does the manual say to use up to 100F and above?

This:
Originally Posted By: metalbender
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
5w40 Redline is too thick for your A1/B1 application.
0w30 Redline recommended. see https://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/Motor Oil PDS 5-13.pdf
and notice the -76 degree pout point. Wow, great for Wisconsin winters and a tough high temp oil too.

I should have added that the manual recommends 0W-30 and 0w40 from 'off the scale below 0' to 104F, 5W-40 from -10F to 104F, and 10W-30 from -4F to 104F. In the last Volvo, I thought the car was just slightly harder to start w/ RL 10W-30 in really cold weather... I would love something I could run year round, maybe even buy by the case.

This car is just different enough from the previous Volvo where I started wondering what I need to tweak.

On your first post you mentioned that the owners manual stated to use a 5w-30. Then you sent out a post that said it required a 0w-40 to a 10w-40. if that is the case, just pick a 0w-40 major brand oil and be done with it, great cold and hot weather protection.

Redline is expensive and I've never seen it on sale. It's also not available at many auto stores. There are other brands of synthetic that are as good (maybe better) for less money.

As for the oil itself, it's reputed to be good. But IMO overpriced and hard to find in smaller towns.

Last edited:
My first choice would be Redline, in your desired viscosity.
The only leading brand syn I can think of off hand is Quaker State Syn
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back