PUP or Amsoil 5w30 Signature Series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jongies3
Why spend the money on Amsoil when you can get the Pennzoil locally? Seems like a no-brainer to me! It's hard finding PUP anywhere so you should take advantage of it! It will go 8k just fine in that engine, Toyota engines are pretty gentle on oil as a whole. I run 7500mi using regular PP in my Tacoma with no ill effects to report. Factory recommendation was set at 5k on regular SL rated 5W-30 dino, figured 2500mi extra on a much more robust SN synthetic oil would be cakewalk if not overkill!

I'd happily use that PUP if I could find it locally, but, it's not worth the hassle for me to get. I don't personally believe Amsoil does anything better than the synthetics you can get at your local auto parts store for half the price. JMO!

If you're a preferred customer it's like 6 a quart (Amsoil). I ordered PUP online at Walmart and got the last 8 quarts of the older stuff and then bought a 5qt jug at Amazon.

And I'm hoping to sign up for the UOA program. I'm running Motorcraft Full Syn 5w-20 right now and the price of it was 11 a quart for 8 quarts (Mustangs take a LOT of oil). It's decent oil, but not that decent. I have stayed away from Mobile 1 because of Viscosity issues in some Mustangs leading to excessive valve-train noise.

When I drain the Motorcraft in a month or two I'll switch to PUP and then after that, Amsoil, and see what works best.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What makes you believe all the marketing about Amsoil and syn oil in general yet for some reason do not believe it lasts 1 year 25,000 miles?

In my observance of over 6 million miles actual driving time under my seat, I have never seen any two engines deal with the same oil in the same way. While one could live comfortably with a 25K mile interval on a high quality oil, another engine might grenade in the same scenario with the same oil. Only with solid, multiple UOA's to back it up would I even attempt going to 25K. And Amsoil's 25K interval has a caveat... if they engine meets any part of what they OEM considers severe use, then Amsoil backs off the 25K thing to 15K. And if one really looks at their manual, it is not hard to fall into the severe category in one way or another. I always do and always have met the severe category just based on where I live. So going 25K in my situation with their oil that they claim will do 25K, if anything were to go wrong, even Amsoil wouldn't back anything up. It would just be my rear end hanging out there. Oil is not that darn expensive that I need to play those kind of what if games.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: CT8
What makes you believe all the marketing about Amsoil and syn oil in general yet for some reason do not believe it lasts 1 year 25,000 miles?

In my observance of over 6 million miles actual driving time under my seat, I have never seen any two engines deal with the same oil in the same way. While one could live comfortably with a 25K mile interval on a high quality oil, another engine might grenade in the same scenario with the same oil. Only with solid, multiple UOA's to back it up would I even attempt going to 25K. And Amsoil's 25K interval has a caveat... if they engine meets any part of what they OEM considers severe use, then Amsoil backs off the 25K thing to 15K. And if one really looks at their manual, it is not hard to fall into the severe category in one way or another. I always do and always have met the severe category just based on where I live. So going 25K in my situation with their oil that they claim will do 25K, if anything were to go wrong, even Amsoil wouldn't back anything up. It would just be my rear end hanging out there. Oil is not that darn expensive that I need to play those kind of what if games.

Agreed,it would not be smart for someone to go that far without analysis. If we follow the same rule for your severe service statement,Mobil 1 Annual formula is good for 10k miles max,Mobil 1 EP is good for 7500,and so on down the line of oils.I know owners of tandems(severe service for sure)using Amsoil who go the 25k miles before a change. The oil is still serviceable......barely,but,that speaks volumes for how stout the oil is.

Well Amazon's PUP came in the mail yesterday. Usually I do all my own fluid changes, but it's a little chilly, so I just took the Camry to my normally good Toyota dealership, and had them change the oil. The free 30(?)-point inspection paperwork that was stapled to my invoice was strewn with dried oil. Worse, when I got to my car to drive off, I found a used, oily rubber glove lodged between my driver seat and the center console. They're printing the names of the techs now on the paperwork, but I won't say anything. (I don't want to get the guy in trouble.) I just hope he never works on my car again. Tomorrow I'll inspect for oil leaks in the garage. Hopefully everything will be dry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Built_Well
Well Amazon's PUP came in the mail yesterday. Usually I do all my own fluid changes, but it's a little chilly, so I just took the Camry to my normally good Toyota dealership, and had them change the oil. The free 30(?)-point inspection paperwork that was stapled to my invoice was strewn with dried oil. Worse, when I got to my car to drive off, I found a used, oily rubber glove lodged between my driver seat and the center console. They're printing the names of the techs now on the paperwork, but I won't say anything. (I don't want to get the guy in trouble.) I just hope he never works on my car again. Tomorrow I'll inspect for oil leaks in the garage. Hopefully everything will be dry.

Did you check the oil level? That would be the first thing I'd do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back