Which PS fluid to use? Escalade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 08 Escalade and am about to change the power steering rack due to it leaking. The manual calls for GM 89021184 Power Steering Fluid; my question is, what is equivalent to use for this? Can't seem to find a definite answer. Thanks!

I used Maxlife power steering fluid in my 03 Yukon and it did very well for 50K miles....total of 100k miles on the unit.

Prestone Power steering fluid meets the spec and I've used it before, although I converted it to Maxlife after several suck and fills of the reservoir.

The Prestone is available in quart bottles too not just tiny 12 oz like some brands, although it's available in 12 oz as well as gallon jugs too!

They are not very picky systems, they just require a minimum viscosity hydraulic fluid with minimal additives to work.

I have autozone store brand PS fluid topped of w supertech PW fluid in my escalade, I turkey base it once every 6 months. Steering is smooth and quiet. No leaks.

Do NOT use Dex III atf, its the wrong fluid

Last edited:
I used Advance Auto house brand PSF in my Impala. Works great, meets the spec, read mixed things about putting just ATF in.

Why chance it when the spec is easy to meet, its not some crazy dealer only fluid.

Last edited:
I also just noticed when looking at their site they now carry a few synthetic fluid.

prestone_power_steering_fluid_for_american_cars.png

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
So I am seeing that Maxlife will work, but DexIII won't work..

What it is guys?

Use power steering fluid (whichever brand u like best). I recommend u NOT use maxlife ATF or Dex3

Anybody happen to know the capacity of the power steering system of the 08 Cadillac Escalade?

Originally Posted By: barkingspider

Use power steering fluid (whichever brand u like best). I recommend u NOT use maxlife ATF or Dex3

The factory manual calls for GM power steering fluid but many of us switched to synthetic ATF and have for years with good results. The systems aren't picky they are simple hydraulic units.

Mineral dex/merc fluids will work (DexronIII is no longer a valid licensed product) but they typically don't perform as well in freezing temperatures as synthetics do which is why they're recommended.

Originally Posted By: Mike141
Anybody happen to know the capacity of the power steering system of the 08 Cadillac Escalade?

Are you doing suck and fills or do you plan on draining the system and refilling?

I don't have any data but 3 quarts or less would be a safe amount of fluid to have available, if you can get a gallon of Maxlife you'll be set.

I have to replace the rack so the entire system will be drained. Just wanted an idea of how much to get. Thanks

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
So I am seeing that Maxlife will work, but DexIII won't work..

What it is guys?

Isn't DexIII a spec'd fluid though?

Originally Posted By: Mike141
I have to replace the rack so the entire system will be drained. Just wanted an idea of how much to get. Thanks
I'm not sure how much you will precisely need, but don't expect to need more than 2 quarts.

Those kinds of cars take the common clear or yellow PSF that is sold everywhere. I get some from O'Reilly's.

Another thing to remember is that some store brand PSF that is made for Honda and Acura will state on the bottle that it meets the needs of GM power steering systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back