Ever been married to just one oil brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Mobil I since about 1978

+1. I haven't found a reason to change. M1 has always workedwell for me in various engines.

I have been using Kendall since the early 1970s. I take oil samples of every change in every vehicle so I like continuity for the reports. There's a good distributor in my town: buying by the case my price per quart is below Wal-Mart. I started using it when I was working on the floor in a truck shop, never saw an oil-related problem and Kendall markets every lube you can think of for a fleet.

My 3.0 and 5.0 Fords get GT-1 Semi-synthetic 5W-20. The V-10 in my motor home gets GT-1 semi-synthetic 5W-30 and the Cummins/Onan generator gets Super D-XA 15W-40. None of them have any oil related issues. I don't have any desire to change what I'm doing.

In reality, #1. Use the recommended grade and weight. #2. Keep it full, and #3 Change it when the manufacturer recommends and you can move on to worrying about world peace, saving the Delta Smelt or whatever makes you happy. Your equipment will be fine.

Originally Posted By: AITG
I have been using Kendall since the early 1970s. I take oil samples of every change in every vehicle so I like continuity for the reports. There's a good distributor in my town: buying by the case my price per quart is below Wal-Mart. I started using it when I was working on the floor in a truck shop, never saw an oil-related problem and Kendall markets every lube you can think of for a fleet.

That brand has been through so many different owners and formulations that I doubt there's any consistency over those 40ish years. However, if you're getting it at a great price, then what more could you really want?

Mostly I'd think our brand loyalty is irrational. I know mine is.

When I was a kid in 71-72 I was GTX 30wt in my Honda SL100. I used Havoline 10w 40 in my Buick GS455.
I used Havoline in cars up until we bought a Toyota SR5 Truck in 84 and went back to GTX.
When i was working I had less than zero free time so i just had wife take the cars to the dealership for oil changes.
Now with my 07 Mustang GT thats semi "hopped up" i use Mobil 1/Mototcraft filters and in 07 Highlander I am using Valvoline high mileage/fram.

I like Havoline a lot, nice dose of moly. Rural King has it for $2.99/quart. One of my favorites and prefer it over some of the other name brands. I won't mention which ones.

I ran Pennzoil Conventional (PYB) for many years, followed by Castrol GTX Conventional for many years, and now I don't really stick with any particular brand.

I have always liked the "olines", Havoline and Valvoline, plus Castrol. Never was married to them but used them as long as they did their job well.

Marriage to a oil brand might be construed as fanaticism or fanboy-ism as it's described these days. Brand loyalty is a fickle thing. One misstep and the marriage is over.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I like Havoline a lot, nice dose of moly. Rural King has it for $2.99/quart. One of my favorites and prefer it over some of the other name brands. I won't mention which ones.

Havoline has been through so many different iterations over the years. I guess it was the original Texaco, then Equilon, and finally Chevron.

Kendall gt-1 for 25 years cause that's what is in the reel at work. Never had an engine failure but 3trannys take a dump. Didn't start fooling around with other oils til I joined this site. Now I am settle on Valvoline max life full synthetic on the Vic and Castrol on the newly acquired jetta

No, but I have a cousin that uses Pennzoil ONLY! He thinks that if he uses any other brand of oil it will cause serious harm to his engines. I also have another cousin that will only use FRAM oil filters because Don Garlits and John Force uses them.
smirk.gif

My dad had an interesting selection
Castrol GTX conventional and M1 synthetic.

He bought Castrol GTX during the 70s and 80s because it was advertised as "The oil for smaller, harder working engines" and he had a 1971 Toyota Corolla, 1979 Toyota Corolla, and 1987 Hyundai Excel so those engines were worked hard every day. He said that he used 20w50 Castrol GTX in the Hyundai Excel, and when he traded it in, the salesmen had to show the odometer readout to everybody who worked at the dealer. Nobody had even seen a Hyundai Excel go that far.

People used to "stick" with one brand because after using one brand for years and then switching to another brand could cause serious problems. I still think it's kinda strange though to see guys that change brands every time and just buy what's on sale, but I think that goes to the point that there seems to be fewer and fewer differences between most motor oil these days. I'm guilty of brand loyalty. My grandfathers used Amalie, as did my Dad, and I have always use Amalie.

Last edited:
I have been a long time supporter of Motul oils. They seem to have very high quality oils for every vehicle I drive, including the Vespa. For all my gear oils I use Redline though.

I am slowly becoming a Shell/Pennzoil believer.

Believer is a good word for it, oil is like a religion to many.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back