Valvoline ML 5W-30, 5,000, 2006 Infinit M35X, 152K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Long time lurker...First time poster.

Interesting fact with this, otherwise, unremarkable, first UOA...The 0.75qt that I added as makeup oil was Mobil 1 5W-30, and was literally less than a week before I decided to change the oil and have it analyzed.

I have read plenty about high iron as a byproduct of Mobil 1 5W-30...Could it be that the M1 high iron condition manifest itself over the last ~200 miles of a 5,000 mile OCI???

It does not explain the hit the viscosity took...That is, more likel,y the Nissan (Infiniti) engine being tough on oil, I suppose.

Iron is within normal limits for the engine, probably just your specific engine wearing a tiny bit more than most, which I've found is usually attributed to short trips. I don't think the Mobil 1 had anything to do with it.

Yes the viscosity loss is likely from infamous VQ shearing, some people run European 0w40 in these engines to get a little added viscosity protection and I do so myself in my 5w30 application.

To me it does seem like high iron. Try Castrol Edge or Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 next time and compare uoa's. I've done three uoa's so far and none have shown any iron wear,and my engine is an iron block (not sure if that would even matter). Do Nissan VQ's normally show more iron wear than VG's?

I've seen some excellent uoa reports using Castrol Magnatec, 10w30 or 5w30 in your application for 5k miles. Less than $20 per jug at Walmart.

On an older car like that, sometimes the timing chain can get to a point, gradually, where its running slightly loose, which actually can rattle imperceptibly and cause more iron wear. I'm guessing you're seeing timing chain wear. Total guess.

Try some extra viscosity. Up to a Castrol Edge 0w40 in your case. Its thicker oil films might help. Can't hurt, might help. I like the seal conditioners in using High Mileage oil like you're doing, so maybe drop in some https://products.liqui-moly.com/motor-oil-saver-3.html or anything you see that conditions seals.

Last edited:
Nissan VQ's can whip some 30 weight oils into a 20 weight in no time! It's strange actually you will read about a VQ40 V6 used in Nissan Frontier trucks used for towing a camper and driven hard and the oil holds up just fine then you get a report from one VQ owner who just drives to church and we get oil shear?

I run something solid in my VQ40 V6 2012 Nissan Pathfinder for summer. Try some Chevron Delo 10w30 or Mobil 1 0w40. Frankly I think all VQ's run better on 0w40 or a real solid 10w30.

Originally Posted By: Nissan101
Is this oil the synthetic blend or the fully synthetic variant?

Maxlife is a blend.

Great recommendations! Much appreciated!!!

Definitely looking at a higher weight oil...Just don't want to lose the high mileage seal sweller, given the age.

To clarify, this was the synthetic blend version of the MaxLife (red bottle).

Originally Posted By: ae7456t
Definitely looking at a higher weight oil...Just don't want to lose the high mileage seal sweller, given the age.

Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver is basically meant for people who just want a boost in the seal conditioner area.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "seal conditioners" in these max life oils, a well maintained engine should generally not need special "conditioners" in it. A 40 grade may actually lower some of the oil consumption. I don't know a ton about iron readings and what's normal, but if the viscosity has dropped out of spec; that generally won't help with lowering wear levels.

More great input...Thank you!

My engine is the VQ35DE, which is the same as the 350Z/G35.

I am definitely starting to see some more oil consumption, recently. After this last oil change, I swapped out my PCV valve, sealed the leaking oil cooler, so cautiously optimistic that will help...but also looking to move to a 40 weight oil, as well.

Last edited:
I can't comment on Nissan's VQ engines, in general, but I suspect that my results may have something to do with the limited gear ratio of the 5-speed transmission in the M35X.

My commute has me on the highway, 30 minutes each way, with the engine running at 3100-3200 RPM (70 MPH...the posted speed limit).

A lot is made of city driving, and I am sure that brings pain to the oil, but I have to believe that continuous, high RPM's would have some impact, as well.

As always, happy to be educated...

Originally Posted By: spasm3
What is it about the VQ engines that cause them to shear oil?

Nissan VQ motors have a rather large or long timing chain that is the only thing I can think of that shears the oil. As far as I know VQ's are not direct injection that could cause fuel dilution and not turbocharged. At leased the VQ35 & VQ40 anyway. It is surprising that the VQ is or can be so hard on oil but there is significant evidence that at times they can be especially if worked (High RPM, trailer towing etc)

When the VQ 40DE came out in 2005 (just like the OP's VQ35) the recommended oil was 5w30,10w30 and 10w40. And in later years only 5w30 and I really believe the drop of the 10w30 & 10w40 was just for fuel economy reasons.

Originally Posted By: ae7456t
the engine running at 3100-3200 RPM (70 MPH...the posted speed limit).

Mine is the exact same way. A little over 3000 rpm while cruising at 70.

Interesting in how high your rpm is at 70. My room is around 2400 at 79 mph. I guess my room is lower due to my car having a CVT in it. Like Camprunner said the rather long timing chain due shear down the oil a good bit.

To me the iron is high too, but to say that is because of the Valvoline Oil is plain wrong.
The results would have been the same or worse with any oil.

Reason I say this, the OP has only done one UOA, he would need a second one with the same oil, then if so decide, switch to another brand and repeat.

In addition, to me, the engine seems worn way before its time that it should. 5000 mile oci and had to add 3/4 of a quart of oil is excessive to me on a engine with 150k. But even if not by infinity standards. 1 UOA doesnt mean much until a 2nd is done with the same oil in order to comment about the wear being caused by oil which it is not, at least in this engine..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back