Do NOT Dry Turn Aisin WP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carbon mechanical seals rely on a (absolutely tiny) amount of coolant to be passing the seal, and lubricating the faces when running.

You can't even hope to measure it.

Industrial seals have little tabs that hold the faces apart while you spin the shaft for alignment and the like, you pull them just before run and get the faces in full contact.

You won't do (too much) damage getting a water pump in and accessory belt happening, but you are right...don't start.

Fwiw, I installed a new Aisin WP last year in my Camry (5SFE) at the time I was replacing the timing belt. I started and ran the car without coolant twice, for at least 1 minute each time, while I was checking the belt tension and alignment dots. So my dry Aisin pump had several thousands revolutions before coolant was added.

I am about 5,000 miles past that time and have not noticed any noise or leaks from the pump area.

I just installed an Aisin WPT-801 water pump on my 2007 Camry LE 2.4L at the beginning of this month, and, like any creature with opposable thumbs, I gave it a few spins by hand to ensure everything was moving correctly prior to installing it. There was no warning to be found against that anywhere on the packaging, and a month later it seems to be just fine.

But, more importantly, if a dozen dry turns by hand are going to ruin the mechanical seal, then Aisin needs to get back into the laboratory and design a far less [censored] water pump
grin.gif

I don't think the warning pertains to a few turns by hand, but about putting the unit in service on while spinning at speed without coolant. My guess is the high speed causes high heat friction which can warp or melt the seal.

Originally Posted By: Dr_Who
I don't think the warning pertains to a few turns by hand, but about putting the unit in service on while spinning at speed without coolant. My guess is the high speed causes high heat friction which can warp or melt the seal.

Read the article. "Do not manually turn the pulley before installation of the water pump." Even has a picture of two hands turning the pulley.

Last edited:
I'm with skaughtz on this one. As a hobby mechanic, it's rewarding to spin the new one by hand and compare it with the old one. "Wot, put back on all the belts, electrics, and coolant and have faith in my first electric start?" Hard enough to have faith when you're old and have done the job a dozen times, not to mention first-timers.

Originally Posted By: spackard
I'm with skaughtz on this one. As a hobby mechanic, it's rewarding to spin the new one by hand and compare it with the old one. "Wot, put back on all the belts, electrics, and coolant and have faith in my first electric start?" Hard enough to have faith when you're old and have done the job a dozen times, not to mention first-timers.

I luv giving the new one a couple spins. It convinces me I did the right thing in replacing what I knew was a totally good unit.

Originally Posted By: skaughtz
I just installed an Aisin WPT-801 water pump on my 2007 Camry LE 2.4L at the beginning of this month, and, like any creature with opposable thumbs, I gave it a few spins by hand to ensure everything was moving correctly prior to installing it. There was no warning to be found against that anywhere on the packaging, and a month later it seems to be just fine.

But, more importantly, if a dozen dry turns by hand are going to ruin the mechanical seal, then Aisin needs to get back into the laboratory and design a far less [censored] water pump
grin.gif

Given how many Toyota's seem to need water pumps early on... it seems they need to redo their pump.

Bummer. I spun the new pump on my 5S-FE too, by hand. But I'm guessing that this may be a "best" uses practice. Like how you should use anti-sieze on stuff. You'll be fine without it, but better with.

there's a big difference between spinning the pumpo by hand to feel the bearing is smooth, and running the engine dry of coolant, at 1500 rpm...

I changed the coolant in my saturn s-series as PM and had a WP leak a couple days later. I blamed the Peak "with phosphates" green snot as saturn warns against them. Then secondly I blamed cavitation of a half-empty pump purging air breaking something that was nearly worn already. But now I can add "Dry seals" to the list of potential aggravators.

Originally Posted By: artbuc

Read the article. "Do not manually turn the pulley before installation of the water pump." Even has a picture of two hands turning the pulley.

Technically that might be optimal, and I personally would only turn just to make sure the pump bearing does turn, perhaps just once or twice, slowly by hand.

BTW my girl friend went to WCU and lived in town...how are things down there?

Originally Posted By: artbuc

Technically that might be optimal, and I personally would only turn just to make sure the pump bearing does turn, perhaps just once or twice, slowly by hand.

BTW my girl friend went to WCU and lived in town...how are things down there?

We actually live 7 miles from WC but have a WC mailing address. Live close to Longwood Gardens about 4 miles from Kennett Square. Everything is great down here. Chester County must be one of the most beautiful counties in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back