What car uses a drain plug with a captive o-ring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure it's a later model GM but don't remember the exact make and model. Want to put a drain plug in a transmission pan and these seal better than washers.

I know the one on my 2010 Fusion has a captive rubber o-ring, as shown:

51-gKncuz8L._SY450_.jpg

If you search Google for 'Dorman 65324' you'll find Dorman's version, which has the captive o-ring too.

Mine both have the O-Ring integrated. I got replacements for both recently. I think they are Needa Part brand.

What is odd is the stock size is 15mm and these are 13mm. These are also magnetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I know the one on my 2010 Fusion has a captive rubber o-ring, as shown:

51-gKncuz8L._SY450_.jpg

If you search Google for 'Dorman 65324' you'll find Dorman's version, which has the captive o-ring too.

My 2016 Camaro SS has an oil pan drain plug that looks like that as well.

2001 Silverado has the integrated gasket on both the transmission and engine. I think the 4L60E drain plug went away around 2003.

My dad's 96 Regal had one. That one had a magnet. I bought a replacement part once since I figured the gasket was getting old. I think it was silicone.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
My 2002 Century had one but I replaced it with a gold plug magnetic plug and kept the oem plug as backup.

How long does the washer seem to last on the gold plug? Its not captive in that, but I've been looking at getting one.

My Buick does, but it's not exactly an O-ring. It's a flat ring that sits down into a recess inside the flange section of the drain plug. And it fits the threaded section so tight, you have to thread the seal onto the drain plug until it rests in its recess.

Why bother with an unnecessary rubber bit that will eventually fail due to aging?

I've had cars with plain flat steel washers, a plain aluminum washer, and plastic-coated metal on the drain plugs, and none of them ever leaked, or had to be replaced so far. After many uses, the aluminum one eventually became "captive," although it wasn't originally.

I only have seen them on GM and Ford engines.

Whenever they wear out, I buy a Dorman magnetic plug with the same thread type, but use a copper washer instead of the integrated O-ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back