Well that was odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a guy roll up in a rat rod. It has a 345 International engine in it. I mean I have had plenty of scouts and ihc pickups. I know an international engine when I see one. Says " International,time on #8 " etc on the valve covers.

So I mentioned to him that it was an unusual power plant for a rat rod... guy swears up and down that it's a Studenaker v8! So thinking I was losing it I double checked... v345 on the side of the block so its 345 International.

Guy says its the studebaker engine he personally removed from James Dean's Porche!

Huh? Ok this guy is off his rocker! I walked away at that point lol.

For some reason I thought you had an International @ one time.

Quote:

James Dean's Porche!

the one with the screen doors?

I was helping out a coworker (female) clean out her garage; she had an ammo box she said was from WWII; unfortunately it said "NATO" on the side; a lot of stories get legs and don't die.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
For some reason I thought you had an International @ one time.

Quote:

James Dean's Porche!

the one with the screen doors?
i have had several. Thats why I can recognize the engine no matter what its in...wasnt no studebaker!

Did you ever see an International V8 running as a slant 4 with a plate covering the unused bank with no pistons in it? I did years ago, strangest thing I ever saw, V8 cap with only 4 wires.

That 4 banger was used in some Scouts and the D-400 pick-up
laugh.gif

I owned a 79 Scout with the 304 V8. Supposedly it had a Chrysler Torqueflight transmission according to my mechanic. Never knew if that was true or not. That engine wanted to run but the carb on it was always giving me fits between sinking floats and other maladies. It was rusting on the showroom floor. Dealer got it fixed. Those were the 70's-80's for domestic brands.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Guy says its the studebaker engine he personally removed from James Dean's Porche!

That's where I would've started laughing uncontrollably!

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I owned a 79 Scout with the 304 V8. Supposedly it had a Chrysler Torqueflight transmission according to my mechanic. Never knew if that was true or not.
It was indeed a 727 Chrysler trans.. But it was cast with the International bell housing pattern. All the guts were Chrysler.

Sounds like a German Lugar I bought one time that Hitler used to kill himself! LOL Price was right so I bought the gun...not the story. Hitler didn't use a Luger anyway.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
laugh.gif

It was also used in industrial applications, such as commercial Sullair compressors that they used to power old air jack hammers.

Studebaker did have a 345 ci motor, but it was a 6, and in the 1920's. The largest v8 they had was a 304 with a paxton supercharger for certain Avanti models.
When Studebaker folded, a number of these went out the back door and found their way into boats in the pacific nw.
There was a 352 used in the Studebaker Golden Hawk, but it was a Packard motor. 1956.
Studebaker R&D was working on a 340 motor but pulled out of the motor business and sold the plant and design...to Chrysler who shortly after ended up with a 340. Coincidence?

Was it the inline 6 version of the V8?

More seriously, if the guy built it, he was probably trolling you. Trying to get a response.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

Weed is legal in CA now ... that guy must have been a weed shop customer.
laugh.gif

I overhear people with their ridiculous fantasies, or antiquated (and often sexist) beliefs all the time, while in the Pits.

When I talk to friends that are also working on the tour, we compare the latest stories we've overheard, and have a good laugh.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
laugh.gif

The one I saw was in a step van, no idea what year or make it was. That was 35 yrs ago and I haven't seen one since. Interesting engine though, old school cylinder deactivation, leave four pistons out.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I overhear people with their ridiculous fantasies, or antiquated (and often sexist) beliefs all the time, while in the Pits.

When I talk to friends that are also working on the tour, we compare the latest stories we've overheard, and have a good laugh.

I can only imagine the stuff you hear. I hear enough when people come into my parts department and try to impress me with pallet loads of bovine excrement. I am a car guy but it does nothing for me at all and I don't play along and stroke their ego.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back