Greasing U-Joints with parking brake on

Status
Not open for further replies.
When greasing U-joints, would it be better to leave the parking brake off and being in neutral so that the shaft can "wiggle" freely?
Theory is there would be no load on any side of u joint bearings so grease can flow uniformly in the cup.
Thoughts?

Really bad idea. Never crawl under a truck that is not secured against rolling over you.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Really bad idea. Never crawl under a truck that is not secured against rolling over you.

Yes of course, I left it out but wheels are choked.

Originally Posted By: mk378

Redundancy is key, but you have to do it correctly.

Say, for instance, you are supported by two ropes when hanging from a tree. You feel good and safe, but fact is if one breaks then the other will be overstressed and could snap in an instance as well. So, you have two that each could hold by theirself in an emergency but would quickly wear out. But with both in unison they provide daily and last a long time AND in a moment of crisis will support you until you are safe.

With the parking/emergency brake set there should be no load (or torque) being transferred to the driveshaft.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
With the parking/emergency brake set there should be no load (or torque) being transferred to the driveshaft.

I see. Parking brake, and neutral.

But back to my original question. Is it better that way?

I always use parking brake AND chocks. Trans in neutral, the D/S is completely unloaded even if you can't rotate it much.

Originally Posted By: buck91
I always use parking brake AND chocks. Trans in neutral, the D/S is completely unloaded even if you can't rotate it much.

D/S?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back