New Glock 42

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: billt460
When it come to carrying a weapon for self defense, no positive argument can be made for having less ammunition.

Nope...unless said gun, with more ammunition, is left at home on the nightstand because it was too big to carry/conceal by the person in question.

Which is better: a small amount of ammunition on your person? Or a lot of ammunition in the gun you left at home?

If you are going to carry a weapon. It is useless if you leave it at home. And having a weapon that holds more ammunition is a poor excuse for doing so. There are more holster makers today than ever before. You can find literally dozens of holsters, in most every conceivable type of construction and material imaginable out there. Especially in the popular models like Glock 17's and 19's. There is something for most any body size and shape, and any type of carry, or climate, be it hot or cold. There is just no reason to sacrifice ammunition when you don't have to.

Capacity is down on the list. Having a gun on you 100% of the time is the most important thing. My pocket 642 is much easier, and much more comfortable, to carry than my compact Glocks. It's literally just as easy to carry as keys or a cell phone.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Capacity is down on the list. Having a gun on you 100% of the time is the most important thing.

Not on my list. Or on the "list" of many police departments. I'm not understanding this argument, because it's so easy to have both. No one is saying not to have a gun with you at all times. It simply makes more sense to have one with you that has as much capacity as possible. I'm not buying into this "logic" that claims if you have more ammo, you are therefore more likely to leave your gun at home.

Capacity is down on the list. Having a gun on you 100% of the time is the most important thing.

Yup. Me too. Having a spare mag with six is more important than one mag of 12. I am talking to the choir here though.

Well out of 12 mags this morning....one failure to eject and that was on my second mag. 10 mags in a row without a failure.

Last edited:
"Hey Mr.BG will you hold around for a second while I fumble around in my pocket for my weapon?"
laugh.gif

Granted I'm still guilty of pocket carrying here and there, I can't relay enough of how important it is to get some actual training.

Not on my list. Or on the "list" of many police departments. I'm not understanding this argument, because it's so easy to have both. No one is saying not to have a gun with you at all times. It simply makes more sense to have one with you that has as much capacity as possible. I'm not buying into this "logic" that claims if you have more ammo, you are therefore more likely to leave your gun at home.

"As much capacity as possible" - that varies by body type and clothing. My 5,6" wife, who's a size 2, simply can't conceal a G19. Period. Dot. So, for her, as much capacity as possible means single stack.

"If you have more ammo..."- contradicts the "as possible" part of the previous sentence. The upper limit of possible varies from person to person.

She would have to leave the gun with more ammo at home because she can't carry it concealed.

Your logic: "anyone can and should carry a bigger gun than a single stack" simply makes no sense. Some people are not able to. If max capacity were the concern, and anyone can conceal any weapon, why aren't you advocating concealing a suppressed SBR with a 30 round mag? Easier to aim. Higher capacity. Better ballistics.

Then you get the more effective round, and the extra capacity. It's way better than a G19....right?

Without looking at a person, or knowing anything about them, you're certain that you KNOW how much gun they can handle and what they can conceal? C'mon Bill - THAT defies logic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JDM396
"Hey Mr.BG will you hold around for a second while I fumble around in my pocket for my weapon?"
laugh.gif

Nothing with pocket holster and pocket carry. Practice, practice, practice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: JDM396
laugh.gif

Nothing with pocket holster and pocket carry. Practice, practice, practice.

Depends on the situation, typically, it's the worst method of carry but sometimes it's the only option. However, I think many people could upgrade their carry situation, they just don't. Again, guilty of this myself from time to time.

Point remains that if anyone gets any REAL training where FOF or SD scenarios come into play, they see how hard it is to deploy a weapon in your pocket under any sort of retention position, if you're knocked down, in a vehicle etc etc.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
....My 5,6" wife, who's a size 2, simply can't conceal a G19. Period. Dot. So, for her, as much capacity as possible means single stack.

"If you have more ammo..."- contradicts the "as possible" part of the previous sentence. The upper limit of possible varies from person to person.

She would have to leave the gun with more ammo at home because she can't carry it concealed.

Your logic: "anyone can and should carry a bigger gun than a single stack" simply makes no sense. Some people are not able to. If max capacity were the concern, and anyone can conceal any weapon, why aren't you advocating concealing a suppressed SBR with a 30 round mag? Easier to aim. Higher capacity. Better ballistics.

Then you get the more effective round, and the extra capacity. It's way better than a G19....right?

Without looking at a person, or knowing anything about them, you're certain that you KNOW how much gun they can handle and what they can conceal? C'mon Bill - THAT defies logic.

I'm trying to make sense of all of this. You realize the miniscule amount we're talking about here? A double stack 9 MM to a single stack. 19 vs. 43. How much is it? They make beautiful concealed carry holsters for both the 19 and the 26. (Which now have 12 shot mags). They are very easy to conceal. How much difference is it going to make if you are handicapping yourself with half as much ammo in order to do it? Why are they "not able to conceal it"? I don't have the dimensions of both guns in front of me, but how much extra thickness can it possibly be?

Do you honestly believe it's worth half the ammunition? I'm trying to imagine how? For what it's worth, my wife carries a full size 17 in her purse. It's a Galco and allows her to walk to and from, with her hand always on the weapon. She's even carried my Glock 21 that way with room to spare. THAT'S logical. Just because a woman is small does not require her to carry a smaller gun. These gun purses aren't cheap, but they are well worth it. And it doesn't matter in the least the size of the woman carrying it.

Actually, she prefers the Walther CCP to the G19.

The G19 grip is too big for her small hands. Not everyone can carry a double stack pistol.

She liked the 42 and 43.

But liked the CCP best of all. It's also an 8+1 capacity gun.

Despite your position that everyone should carry at least a double stack 9mm, it simply doesn't work for her.

And the gun that she likes, the gun that she can shoot, the gun with which she's comfortable- that's the one that she'll carry...while the G19 would get left at home because it's TOO BIG FOR HER. See the first rule in my post a few pages back.

I've owned a G19 (several, actually) for many years. It's the wrong gun for her. If you gain ammo capacity, but lose shoot-ability, ability to operate well, you've gained nothing. It may be "miniscule" to you, but it puts the gun beyond what she will carry. You simply can't apply your sense of comfort, of grip, of size, to another person, particularly one you've never met.

"As much capacity as possible" is an upper limit that is DIFFERENT for different people.

I'll check out the Galco purse - but even with that recommendation (for which I thank you), she's not going to carry the G19. That gun would be left at home every time.

Last edited:
Most of these gun purses have a center section specifically made for the gun, and the gun only. They are usually lined to protect the weapon. Keys, makeup, cell phones, wallets, compacts, along with everything else women carry go in compartments on either side. And some even have front flap compartments as well, depending on the style and make. They usually have top zipper access. The gun compartment is a side zip access.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Thicken guns are harder to conceal and less comfortable that's just a fact.

I think people have figured that out. 4 of the top 5 selling handguns in the US are small single stack designs.

If I had to choose any single stack over my Glock double stacks it would not be a Glock 42 or 43, it would be an S&W Shield (which I have), but more often than not, you will find a Glock 19, 23, 26, 27, 30S, or 32 in my holster, but that is just me.

It has now gone through 17 mags worth without a failure on GECO ammo. I intend to go through a few boxes of BlazerBrass this morning. BTW..I ordered 1000 on Sat Night and they were here Tuesday before 11:00 AM.

Originally Posted By: Al
It has now gone through 17 mags worth without a failure on GECO ammo. I intend to go through a few boxes of BlazerBrass this morning. BTW..I ordered 1000 on Sat Night and they were here Tuesday before 11:00 AM.

That all well and good. But you should also make sure the gun can shoot whatever open nosed self defense ammunition you will be carrying as well. Most all semi's, along with their magazines will feed Ball ammo OK. It's when you start shooting hollow points things can start hanging up.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
If I had to choose any single stack over my Glock double stacks it would not be a Glock 42 or 43, it would be an S&W Shield (which I have), but more often than not, you will find a Glock 19, 23, 26, 27, 30S, or 32 in my holster, but that is just me.

A Glock 30 has about the same overall footprint as a Glock 19.... Only slightly thicker. So be sure to add the appropriate amount of corn starch.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
A Glock 30 has about the same overall footprint as a Glock 19.... Only slightly thicker. So be sure to add the appropriate amount of corn starch.
I have different holsters for some of them but meh, 2.5mm is not enough for me to worry about. PS...what kind of cornstarch do you use?
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back