Reason I Use Subaru OEM Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure this image was produced by Subaru.
The interesting bullet point is "Pleated media has variable density paper".
I have cut open a new Subaru 15208AA15A oil filter and rolled out the paper media. Used a single LED pin light behind the media and moved it up and down (top to bottom of the width), you can see the light change brightness. Not real dramatic, but defiantly noticeable. Still do not know the micron rating.

Also when I cut open a new Wix oil filter 57055 that Wix has for my Outback. It media ares was about 2/3rds compared to OEM.

The anti-drainback valve is black. Can it still be silicone?

33p8upk.jpg

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Aftermarkets don't use silicone anti drainbacks?

Yes they do.

Don't understand your reply to my post.

Its a fram with engineered media endcaps and nitrile rubber.

engineered to be made very low cost.

I'll continue to use the black toyo roki filters in the outback.. much better.

I dislike dealing with our local Subaru dealer parts departments, so I always use the Fram PH9715. It's the retail version of the OEM Subaru filter, including the correct bypass valve spec.

Silicone rubber can be a wide variety of colors, including black.

Keep in mind that carbon black is added to rubber to make it more durable. This is why tires are black.

Its not clear to me that tuning a relief pressure to an engine is that difficult of a task; or that critical that it be much more than +/- 20 psi of some value, which may well cover most/all normal cars...

Nothing against blue Subaru filters, I've had cases of them that I've used on the Subarus in my family. I still have no problem using aftermarket oil filters on them.

Variable density paper sounds like nothing more than a marketing term for me. I've ever understood the stressing over the filter's relieve valve setting. IMO, It's got nothing to do with the vehicles engine. It's there to keep the filter media bundle or outer can from bursting. Only the filter manufacturer will know how much dP the media can handle or how much pressure the can/shell can take before it pops.

Originally Posted By: knerml

Keep in mind that carbon black is added to rubber to make it more durable. This is why tires are black.

Thank you knerml.

Originally Posted By: GravelRoad
Originally Posted By: knerml

Thank you knerml.

But in this case the Subaru filter is not silicone. Back when I had a Subaru I analyzed the ADBV by XRF and no silicon was present. They are nitrile. As has been stated by others, the blue Subaru filters are Fram orange cans at the core. They differ in paint color, bypass setting, and gasket profile. Basic construction and media are the same.

Ed

Probably better off running HONDA/NISSAN style filter on the NA engines to get the bypass in a "NORMAL" range. I did try a big wix once and the engine poo poo'd it.

21-23PSIG sounds too racy to me. Any logic to the high baypass other than keeping crunchy bits out of the turbo oiler banjo fitting screen on the killer turbos?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Probably better off running HONDA/NISSAN style filter on the NA engines to get the bypass in a "NORMAL" range. I did try a big wix once and the engine poo poo'd it.

21-23PSIG sounds too racy to me. Any logic to the high baypass other than keeping crunchy bits out of the turbo oiler banjo fitting screen on the killer turbos?

This is a 2.5 non turbo. My understanding for the oil filter 23.2 psi bypass setting is the high discharge rate of the oil pump. keeping it out of bypass as much as possible.
From my 2016 Shop manual:

Oil temperature at 248°F

600rpm discharge rate one minute 6.1 quarts. (1.525 gallons per minute)

6000rpm discharge rate one minute 58.1 quarts. (14.525 gallons per minute)

My Outback has 23K miles and I'm now using a Castrol SFX CAS7317 oil filter, an extended service filter with synthetic blended media, made by Champion Laboratories. It meets Subaru specs according to Champion so I'm not worried about the bypass pressure issue. Also my car is almost never in sub-freezing temperatures. Filter price: $4.67 each.

Funny how they mentioned a "torque" setting for the bypass valve. Since when is hydraulic pressure force a "torque"?

LoL ... bypass valve "torque setting" was tuned specifically for Subaru engines ...? Yeah, bad translation I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back