High Mileage F-150 Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 05 F-150 with 183,000 miles, it has the 5.4L. I'm currently running Mobil 1 high mileage 5w20 with a Motocraft 820s filter. I've always ran motocraft filters, but I've been reading the forum and I'm thinking about switching. Would the Fram ultra, or another, be a better choice over the motocraft? I drive 130 miles round trip to work everyday so I want to make sure the motor is taken care of.

It appears MC filters are doing well in ur application, so why change it up. Fram ultra would shine in longer OCIs

Motorcraft filters are a fine choice for a Ford product running normal OCIs. Many/most have silicone ADBVs which helps prevent startup noise that some of of their V8s are prone to.

That said, their efficiency is 'only' good (and most likely good enough) since their cellulose media is nothing special. If you want better filtering, a Fram Tough Guard will be 99% as will a Wix and a PureOne. Moving up, Mobil 1 and Distance Plus will have high efficiency and high capacity for longer drains. Any fully synthetic media filer like the Ultra, Puro Boss, Royal Purple, etc. will also be high efficiency and high capacity. But unless you are going for longer OCIs with better oils then they really aren't worth the price.

To answer your question, yes, the Fram Ultra will filter oil better than the Motorcraft. But is it a better choice? That's up to you.

I'm having occasional start up noise, not long, less than half a second at most. That's really what got me looking at swapping out filters. OCI's are every 5,000 or a little over depending if it falls during the week or not.

First guess is the oil filter, but if you are using the Motorcraft filter, that is what most people would suggest using first for that issue. Can't hurt to try another brand, but I wouldn't expect a miracle.

That being said, on a motor of that vintage with that kind of mileage, I'd be thinking about the timing chain tensioners and seals on the tensioners... My '04 F150 got to the point it sounded like a bunch of marbles were bouncing around in the engine on a cold startup... Needed a full tenioner/timing chain replacement along with new cam phasers... Not a cheap job.

Good luck!

MC filters a good for a 5000 oci.
If you do go to an Ultra I would run it for 10,000 miles or 2 oil change.
What you are doing seems to be working fine though.
At your mileage have you thought about a high mileage oil?
That might help if you have any small leaks or consumption issue.

I think I'm going to give them a try. I'm not expecting much but $10 isn't that much to try and see what happens.

I know someone who just had to change the cam phasers on his sons truck, think all said an done was right around $4500. I'm really just wanting this one to make it to the end of the year then I'll start looking at something new or new to me.

Probably not a bad bet. Unfortunate, but this is the in the mileage range where a lot of the cam phaser/timing chain issues start to show up on otherwise well maintained engines...

Did the same thing - nursed mine for about a year till it was time to replace...

Originally Posted By: cguilbeau
...I drive 130 miles round trip to work everyday so I want to make sure the motor is taken care of.

Your daily long highway drive, sir, is a prime candidate for extended oil changes. Choose a good synthetic designed for extended drains as well as a filter for the same, and go at least 10k and extend to 15k (or perhaps beyond) with UOA. M1 EP and Amsoil come to mind, along with a M1, RP, FU, Amsoil, or Wix XP.

Last edited:
Typically speaking, Motorcraft filters have proven to be extremely reliable and solid filters.

The FL820, however, has had its share of issues. While I still believe that it's a decent filter, I'd say that the Fram Ultra equivalent would most likely be a more robust and reliable filter, especially if you're considering an extended interval. If I were in your shoes, I'd use the Fram Ultra for this application.

I'd stick with the Motorcraft - the Fram is a fine filter but I like to stick with why fix something that works?

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Typically speaking, Motorcraft filters have proven to be extremely reliable and solid filters.

The FL820, however, has had its share of issues. While I still believe that it's a decent filter, I'd say that the Fram Ultra equivalent would most likely be a more robust and reliable filter, especially if you're considering an extended interval. If I were in your shoes, I'd use the Fram Ultra for this application.

I totally agree with your thoughts sir. Solid advice
smile.gif

Thanks for all the input. I stopped at Wal-Mart on the way home this afternoon an picked up a Fram Ultra. I just finished swapping it in and topping the oil off. For less than $10 with tax I'll give it a shot. If it helps with the noise at start up great, if it doesn't I'm not out much.

I've though about extending my OCI's. It does burn a little though. It was about a quart every 5,000, since switching to M1 High Mileage that has gone down to a little less than half a quart in 5,000. I've only been using the M1 for the last 2 oil changes. Now that I'm seeing consumption go down I'm a little hesitant to change things right now. Maybe in the next few months I'll look at extending the OCI.

If you're running "normal" OCIs, then an Ultra is way overkill and a waste of money. You can get same efficiency with a TG. And even that is overkill for "normal" use.

Extending the OCIs is a great plan for you. Run 10k mile O/FCI and then do a UOA. If all is well, then go to 15k miles. At 15k miles, you can certainly use a TG or FU and any good quality dino oil. Despite the heresy this would imply, there's plenty of data to show this is not only OK, but actually desirable in terms of wear rates.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
If you're running "normal" OCIs, then an Ultra is way overkill and a waste of money. You can get same efficiency with a TG. And even that is overkill for "normal" use.

Extending the OCIs is a great plan for you. Run 10k mile O/FCI and then do a UOA. If all is well, then go to 15k miles. At 15k miles, you can certainly use a TG or FU and any good quality dino oil. Despite the heresy this would imply, there's plenty of data to show this is not only OK, but actually desirable in terms of wear rates.

+1

Down to burning 1 quart every 10000 miles? 10k easy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back