Burned 3 quarts at a 5104 OCI!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Californiabob
I'd run some crankcase cleaner- kreen, seafoam, MMO - if you continue
to see oil consumption. to get the rings, valves, cams, cranks, all a
little cleaner (not to mention all those little holes where the oil
leads back downstairs).

I run seafoam a few times a year...have for the last 5 years or so.

Originally Posted By: alaskanseminole
Anyone every heard of burning through roughly 3 quarts of oil in 5.67 months/5104 miles?

I know she's usually down .5-1 quart about every 7,500 miles, but THREE QUARTS!?!?! I drove about an hour at 80pmh yesterday and just before I turned the engine off, I saw the oil light flicker. I immediately checked the oil and couldn't even get the stick wet. After adding 2 quarts, I just got the tip to register oil. In fear of over-filling I drove it home and changed it so I could measure. I was down 3 quarts in all. [censored]!?!?

- It's not smoking (at all)
- It's not dripping
- All engine seals appear to be dry
- Fuel economy is the same as the day I bought it

2005 Mazda Tribute i
147K Miles
Mobil 1 | 4.5 quarts

that is what happened with broken valve seals, no pcv or ring coking will cause that amount of oil loss. Just to accept to replace the valve seals, i bet you take out the plugs and will find it with some soots. Other telltale I notice is once you drive with engine hot, stop engine, and open the engine oil filler cap to see the oil is vaporizing.

No need to do seafoam or kreen, it will destroy seals faster and you will loose more oil faster

How do cars in Germany handle prolonged way faster than 80 mph runs on their run of the mill cars? They also don't do 3000/3month oil changes either. Do they check oil level every time they fill the gas?

Most engines use higher HTHS oils and yea they check the oil, maybe not every tank fill but way before some idiot light comes on. Many engines also have a larger sump capacity.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
prolonged 80+mph and CAFE xW-20 are a bad combo.

at this point all you can do is not make the same grade choice next time around, that's alot of burnt oil, sell it while it has some value.

Keep an eye on the level and stick with a best deal convenrional. Another option, after checking PCV and breather, tear down the engine to repair and hope to recoup. your dollars in ten years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back