Anyone gone back to a flip phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about downgrading to a flip phone. I have an iPhone 6 Plus right now and I only pay $22.50 a month. But I barely use what I have now. If I downgrade to a flip phone I can go down to $60 card that gives me $80 in cash and then texts and minutes get deducted at a penny and a half each. So I can basically go down to $60 a year and only have like $5 a month deducted out of it.

My only real downside that I can think of is not having GPS (which I only use every once in awhile) or a good camera (which I could solve with a nice point and shoot, but that means carrying something else with me)

Anyone else still use a flip phone or switched back to a flip phone?

I have a massively cheap tracfone android that runs $10-11 a month and it does web and GPS and whatnot.

The trick is to buy the "2 month" card and after checkout they'll offer another year for $50 or so.

I got the "ends in C" phone that uses Verizon's network (better).

Rather than going to a flip phone, why not try Swappa and get a good condition used smartphone? Lots of people upgrade and sell their old phones all the time. My work phone is a Nexus 5 that I picked up for $100.

With a little work I have it running the latest Android. Even installed a new battery for $12.

No monthly payment, and you get to keep your larger screen, apps, camera, GPS, etc.

I don't have a monthly payment now, I only pay $22.50 for my plan each month that I'm on. If I reduce to the flip phone (which I already have one, a Casio Ravine 2) I can go down to only paying $60 a year for my cell phone.

I'm not looking for alternatives, I'm looking for other people that have went back to a flip phone and how they are liking it or not liking it.

Hmm. Well, if you have both phones already why not just swap your sim and see how you like it? All the opinions in the world won't tell you how you're going to feel.

I am somewhat a minimalist. I only use a flip phone ($23) and Page Plus (120 or 365 day plan). As of now, I feel connected enough with my computer and don't need, nor want the 24/7 portable connectivity of a smart phone. I value other things in life, but everyone has their own priorities.

I never left a flip phone. It's all I need, and money doesn't play into it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I am somewhat a minimalist. I only use a flip phone ($23) and Page Plus (120 or 365 day plan). As of now, I feel connected enough with my computer and don't need, nor want the 24/7 portable connectivity of a smart phone. I value other things in life, but everyone has their own priorities.
Originally Posted By: tig1

This is mostly my reason to go to a flip phone. Money isn't the main reason.

I sometimes would like to go back but I use my phone for work tremendously and they pay for it so I keep it. I did ditch facebook but I think I frequent this site more than I did facebook.

Originally Posted By: radtech91
I don't have a monthly payment now, I only pay $22.50 for my plan each month that I'm on. If I reduce to the flip phone (which I already have one, a Casio Ravine 2) I can go down to only paying $60 a year for my cell phone.

I'm not looking for alternatives, I'm looking for other people that have went back to a flip phone and how they are liking it or not liking it.

so what is stopping you from doing the same thing with the iphone?

not like they sell you a flip phone plan that only works on that phone.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: tig1

This is mostly my reason to go to a flip phone. Money isn't the main reason.

Then use your flip phone. You probably won't find many opinions from people who 'made the switch.'. Just use the cheaper plan/phone that meets your needs.

I never parted ways with my flip phone. I just want to receive/place calls, have no desire to text or surf the net away from home. I enjoy the art of map reading and can actually fold it up too! Yes, I am strange in my ways.

Last edited:
Lets start over. Now how in the world does one get phone service for 22 bucks a month,,,unlimited txt and talk go with that??? does it do pics and so on.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Rather than going to a flip phone, why not try Swappa and get a good condition used smartphone? Lots of people upgrade and sell their old phones all the time. My work phone is a Nexus 5 that I picked up for $100.

With a little work I have it running the latest Android. Even installed a new battery for $12.

No monthly payment, and you get to keep your larger screen, apps, camera, GPS, etc.

so what is stopping you from doing the same thing with the iphone?

not like they sell you a flip phone plan that only works on that phone.

The plan that I would go to on the flip phone is for 3G phones only and is a yearly plan, I am on a 4G phone plan with the iPhone

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Lets start over. Now how in the world does one get phone service for 22 bucks a month,,,unlimited txt and talk go with that??? does it do pics and so on.

I am on Puppy Wireless. I bought into a club when they first opened that gives me a 25% discount on any plan. So it would normally be $30 a month but I get it for $22.50. It has 750 minutes, 750 texts and 1.5GB of data. They have another $30 plan that is 1500 minutes, unlimited text and 1GB of data. They have lots of other plans as well.

I use at a maximum, 50 minutes a month and 300 texts, and maybe 200mbs of data a month.

It is fine if it meets your need.

Just make sure that the flip phone is covered by your carrier in terms of firmware.
Otherwise, the flip phone will have a difficult time finding signal.

But if you only use 50 minutes, then you can probably wait till you get signal to talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back