Best firearms lube I ever used

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is automotive engine oil. 15-50 or 20-50 synthetic oil for diesel engines are my preference. 10-40 conventional oil for gas engines works well too. Those work far better than any gun oil, IME.

In a colder climate 10-30 might work well.

P.S. - best applied with a small size zero hobbyist paintbrush (rated for oil based paint).

That way you get the oil exactly where you want it with no mess. These oils are thick enough to stay where you put them too (not run).

One good thing about motor oils (especially synthetic diesel motor oils) is they have detergent additives for preventing engine sludge. I find they are also effective for preventing gun fouling sludge from forming.

Gun cleaning is way easier because of this.

Originally Posted By: Carlostrece
Is automotive engine oil. 15-50 or 20-50 synthetic oil for diesel engines are my preference. 10-40 conventional oil for gas engines works well too. Those work far better than any gun oil, IME.

They (car oils) smell far worse than any gun oil - is toxic and don't ever accidentally get any motor oil residue on your hands when removing that handgun while eating that sandwich.

An old grunt I knew who served in Vietnam used diesel oil when he was in country. This was in the days before the military issued enough proper cleaning and maintenance supplies for the guns (later remedied after a congressional investigation). It must have served him well, because his lube of choice after was engine oil (15 or 20w50 and stp mixed at about 50/50). I tried it once, and it certainly stuck in place well and had a pretty heft amount of anti wear additives. I think it would be a good range lube, although I am sold on the Wilson Combat universal lube or grease now for my carry pistols.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: Carlostrece

They (car oils) smell far worse than any gun oil - is toxic and don't ever accidentally get any motor oil residue on your hands when removing that handgun while eating that sandwich.

Dirty engine oil is certainly toxic, what with the combustion byproducts and all. But you can check the MSDS and see that fresh oil is safer than gun products.

When ever these type of discussions start, I would love to see posted what actual mystical ingredients "gun oils & greases" possess, that all of the various motor oils and other lubricants on the market do not? I'm still searching for data and documentation that shows what "gun oil" consists of, that makes it such. (Other than a high price for a minuscule amount). I can't find it.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
An old grunt I knew who served in Vietnam used diesel oil when he was in country. This was in the days before the military issued enough proper cleaning and maintenance supplies for the guns (later remedied after a congressional investigation). It must have served him well, because his lube of choice after was engine oil (15 or 20w50 and stp mixed at about 50/50). I tried it once, and it certainly stuck in place well and had a pretty heft amount of anti wear additives. I think it would be a good range lube, although I am sold on the Wilson Combat universal lube or grease now for my carry pistols.
"LSA" was the stuff that worked, although wrongly labeled as an OIL rather than a light grease, which it is.

Oh boy...I cant wait for Astro14s response
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
"LSA" was the stuff that worked, although wrongly labeled as an OIL rather than a light grease, which it is.

In the early days lube, cleaning rods, etc were all in very short supply. The armed forces bought into the Colt hype that the platform needed much less maintenance than previous guns like the M14 and Garand. I have pics of soldiers with cleaning rods taped to their gun (pre trapdoor buttstock days) so they could knock out stuck cases in dirty and corroded chambers. Lots of problems in the pre 67/68 guns and the men had to improvise. Yes, LSA helped a ton, along with cleaning rods and brushes when they started arriving in sufficient numbers, as well as some platform improvements.

Last edited:
Engine oil does not lot of similar things in firearms as it does in engines, namely protecting metal parts from corrosion and friction. I hardly go through any gun oil at any reasonable rate but I'd use motor oil if I ran out.

Used to make The Browning Gun Oil where I worked. Low amounts of antioxidants, detergents, etc. Late 70's early 80's.

2 parts M1 20W50 V-Twin Motorcycle Synthetic Oil + 1 part Dexron VI ATF ...If you want to thin it out just a touch add a little Air Tool Oil , test , then repeat as required .
Originally Posted By: dubber09
Engine oil here as well; one can mix it with some ATF for cleaning reasons as well.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
2 parts M1 20W50 V-Twin Motorcycle Synthetic Oil + 1 part Dexron VI ATF ...If you want to thin it out just a touch add a little Air Tool Oil , test , then repeat as required .
Originally Posted By: dubber09
Engine oil here as well; one can mix it with some ATF for cleaning reasons as well.

It has been debated here before... ATF doesnt have better cleaning properties then HDEO (diesel) engine oil...

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
https://www.realgunreviews.com/whats-really-in-gun-cleaners-lube/

The guy is in love with Lucas so I question everything he says

Those with first preference for gun oils find first-love there also. I find Lucas Gun Oil (red one) to be the best for my subcompact pistols. I'll be using the Lucas thicker blue CLP in the summer.

Actually very little of each from April to November. That's when I mostly use grease now (Superlube). My next venture will be ALG Juice..... actually the ALG light Grease that's dispensed in a plastic squeeze bottle.

Expensive?.... yes! But I only shoot 500-750 rounds per year. So it'll last quite some time.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Expensive?.... yes! But I only shoot 500-750 rounds per year. So it'll last quite some time.

At that rate you could get by with a fieldstrip and lube with cat urine. And the firearm would last forever
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back