Unusual Filter Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is from a canister filter on an automatic tranny on a Toyota Forklift. Filter part no is Toyota 32670-12620-71 / Denso BT115310-0262.

I have never seen this media. Perhaps someone else is familiar with it?

I removed and cut open the original factory installed filter on my Toyota Tacoma (2004) and it had filter material kinda similar to what is pictured. Like a sponge material.

Originally Posted By: George7941

This is from a canister filter on an automatic tranny on a Toyota Forklift. Filter part no is Toyota 32670-12620-71 / Denso BT115310-0262.

I have never seen this media. Perhaps someone else is familiar with it?

Yes, that is typical OE toyota filter made in Japan, my understanding is provide better filtration and 1.5x more expensive than the pleated paper model

This filter was Denso, made in Thailand. I can verify that it is expensive, Toyota charged me C$23. Fram crosses it over to PH3614, a common engine oil filter used in 4runners and I can get them for about C$7. Your mention of higher efficiency might make me stay with the Toyota filter. The filter will only be changed once every seven years or so.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Use the OEM filter. Forklifts can run 2 shifts a day, six days a week in some warehouses. This is not a place to substitute for inexpensive ...

Not this forklift, it accumulates less than 10 hours a month. Typically, forklift is turned on, a container lifted up into place or taken down from racking and then turned off. Average run time per start is 5 minutes. This leads to a lot of condensed moisture in the engine oil since it never gets to operating temperature. I change the engine oil once a month to get rid of this moisture.

They were the OEM Made in Japan Denso filters for Toyotas before they cheapened out and went to a Made in Thailand model. It had a unique looking base and was worth the OEM cost when I would buy filters at the dealership. I don't buy OEM oil filters anymore.

Originally Posted By: George7941
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Use the OEM filter. Forklifts can run 2 shifts a day, six days a week in some warehouses. This is not a place to substitute for inexpensive ...

Not this forklift, it accumulates less than 10 hours a month. Typically, forklift is turned on, a container lifted up into place or taken down from racking and then turned off. Average run time per start is 5 minutes. This leads to a lot of condensed moisture in the engine oil since it never gets to operating temperature. I change the engine oil once a month to get rid of this moisture.

Even more of a reason to run a Fram Ultra or any microglass filter for that matter since cellulose breaks down over time and water speeds this up.

A little bit of mix-up going on here. The filter is a tranny filter, not an engine oil filter.

Based on the feedback, I think I will stay with the Toyota filter the next time the filter is changed, which will be in about 7 years. The tranny is single speed, so essentially it is just the torque converter and forward/reverse gearing. No clutch pack debris contamination. The filter which I took out, which had been in for many years, was very clean looking inside.

Send the picture of the media to the tech departments of as many filter companies as you can find.

Tell 'em you'd like to know more.

They may give great answers. They may spill info regarding the hierarchy of media superiority.

Cheers,

I used those foam Denso filters for a while on my Sienna, the part number at the time was 90915-20003. You can still find them on eBay and elsewhere.

There is no evidence they are any better or worse at filtration than the Denso Thailand filters. The reason there isn't is because like any other OEM filter, no filtration data is published. So despite their unique appearance and other comments in this thread, there's nothing that shows they are "better". I stopped using them on my Sienna because at very cold temperatures I was getting startup knock that wasn't present with the regular Denso filters. Plus they were very expensive.

There's no confusion, you can run an automotive engine oil filter on a transmission mount if everything matches up such as threads, gasket and bypass range

Use paint to save your pictures
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be faster, cheaper, and easier to run the forklift up to operating temp for 5 minutes a month instead of throwing away perfectly good oil?

I don't think five minutes at operating temperature is going to do it. I don't know how hot the engine oil is at operating temperature, I doubt it gets up to the boiling point of water. Unless it gets up to 100C temperature, it will take along time for the moisture to evaporate.

Now that you brought it up, I will try my infra-red gun on the oil filter when the engine is hot and see what the oil temp gets up to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back