Valvoline syn power 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1O

Hey all I was in Meijer's today and saw this oil on the shelf. A3/B3 Vw 502.00 and BMW LL.01. What's the story on this oil is it full Saps and good for a vw. They had it priced at 22.99 for a 5quart jug. Quarts were 7.19.

I'm running SynPower 0W40 right now, it's a full synthetic, full SAPS, Euro grade A3/B4 oil with lots of OEM specs.

What can I say? It's smooth and working well, and according to my calibrated Mk1 Eye-Ball it's aging gracefully on the stick. Staying clean for a decent amount of time.

At the end of the day, it's a name brand synthetic with good specs, so it should be fine.

Have used the Synpower 5w-40 (I know, not 100% accurate) in a Toyota Land-Cruiser Prado, with the 1GR-FE V6 engine.

The OCI this once was (rather regrettably) nearly 25,000km, with about 5,000km of towing on the limit for this particular vehicle. Being that its a typical "lazy V6" designed for an ILSAC 5w or 10w-30 oil run at roughly 7,500 intervals, I figured an oil carrying European specifications and designed for long drains in their high-performance motors would probably fare well. In any case, the vehicle is used for a 40min highway commute each day, plus long weekend drives.

No UOA, but the engine didn't sound any different after the long OCI, or even after it finally saw an Indy for full service. And it shouldn't, its only done about 101,000km (62K miles) in its 14 year life - ALL highway running, so a very young engine.

I posted a UOA of it the vehicle in my signature. Enter 15' Audi A4 quattro 2.0T Valvoline 0W40 7510 miles in a search engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: B320i
Have used the Synpower 5w-40 (I know, not 100% accurate) in a Toyota Land-Cruiser Prado, with the 1GR-FE V6 engine.

The OCI this once was (rather regrettably) nearly 25,000km, with about 5,000km of towing on the limit for this particular vehicle. Being that its a typical "lazy V6" designed for an ILSAC 5w or 10w-30 oil run at roughly 7,500 intervals, I figured an oil carrying European specifications and designed for long drains in their high-performance motors would probably fare well. In any case, the vehicle is used for a 40min highway commute each day, plus long weekend drives.

No UOA, but the engine didn't sound any different after the long OCI, or even after it finally saw an Indy for full service. And it shouldn't, its only done about 101,000km (62K miles) in its 14 year life - ALL highway running, so a very young engine.

25,000kms is A LOT. But all highway makes it far better! What I hate is city cars that do 17,000 kms a year with only one service. Seen that on a ton of Subaru log books when I was looking for a forester. Subaru manual does state pretty clearly, 15,000kms OR 6 months but people think, hey only a couple thousand more kms won't hurt (in 15 months)!

KL31; it was definitely too much. Rather ironic as the family member has always harped on about looking after one's possessions. Life circumstances (nothing serious) simply got in the way, so that vehicle is safe.
I should add to the above post, that not only did the engine sound like your usual tappy 1GR-FE, it didn't use a drop of oil in that interval.

Originally Posted By: A1O
Hey all I was in Meijer's today and saw this oil on the shelf. A3/B3 Vw 502.00 and BMW LL.01. What's the story on this oil is it full Saps and good for a vw. They had it priced at 22.99 for a 5quart jug. Quarts were 7.19.

FYI, it was 24.99 at mine today... still not a bad price for a Euro oil.

IMG_20170415_152517.jpg

IMG_20170415_152529.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back