J.D. Power: Michelin is #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/721608/consumers-pick-one-big-winner-in-tire-satisfaction

Quote:
In a survey of nearly 30,000 consumers, one tire brand was the clear winner.
Michelin was on top in the J.D. Power 2017 U.S. Original Equipment Tire Customer Satisfaction Study.

The study groups vehicles into four segments — luxury, passenger car, performance sport and truck/utility. And based on a 1,000-point scale, Michelin ranked highest in each category: luxury (757); passenger car (743); performance sport (746); and truck/utility (712).

Isn't this a customer satisfaction rating of original equipment tires? A positive feedback popularity contest? They are Michelin's, therefore they must the best...

Although perhaps Michelin doesn't allow manufacturers to order fuel economy "special" tires to sully their brand? Kind of a meaningless survey for the average consumer without knowing which tires they could actually buy.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Isn't this a customer satisfaction rating of original equipment tires? A positive feedback popularity contest? They are Michelin's, therefore they must the best...

Although perhaps Michelin doesn't allow manufacturers to order fuel economy "special" tires to sully their brand? Kind of a meaningless survey for the average consumer without knowing which tires they could actually buy.

IIRC, when looking at a list of sizes for a Michelin tire, one of the ways to spot an OE fitment is if it's one of the few sizes that IS marked for LRR.

Michelin OEM tires (just the like the remainder of OEM tires) are typically junk and I have never had any decent mileage from Michelin OEMs. While the Michelin MS/2's on my 2010 F-150 FX4 were fantastic, the Michelin AT/2's on my 2015 F-250 Platinum FX4 are garbage. From my point of view, Michelin is not the "be-all, end-all" of tires, BUT they do make some really good models and those typically shine, whereas the remainder not so much. YMMV (literally).

The Michelin MXV4's OEM were one of the most dangerous tires I have ever used when it rained. Absolutely horrible!

I run the Pilot Super Sport(OEM) on the M235i, Primacy MXM4 ZP on the 328i, and Premier A/S on the X3. I have absolutely no complaints about any of those tires. I'm almost certainly going with the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on the Club Sport now that it has been retired from track duty.

Last edited:
The first two vehicles Ive ever had that used OE Michelin tires are our two Hondas.

My Saab had Pirelli tires OE (excellent), my truck had BFG A/T tires OE (excellent), and our VW had Continental tires OE (OK). I remember we got 77k miles out of the Toyo A05 tires on our Previa when new.

The only OE tires ive not been a fan of are the RFTs on my 135i. But it now has Michelin PSS tires to make up.

I cant complain much about OE tires, weve had pretty good luck.

Funny, but going from Michelin Pilot Sport A/S to Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 my car now has 0 under-steer. Sumitomos that are now in the rear perform better than the pilots did and they are down to 245 vs 255 (stock). This price oriented mismatch set can really take a beating. Let's see if they last as long as the Michelins did (
Guess to each car its own tire...

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I'm almost certainly going with the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on the Club Sport now that it has been retired from track duty.

FWIW, if you're looking for a 3-season tire, it seems the A/S 3+ is no longer alone at the top. Tire Rack says the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus is a hair behind the A/S 3+ in dry grip, but better in wet grip and NVH.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Funny, but going from Michelin Pilot Sport A/S to Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 my car now has 0 under-steer.

Doesn't that make sense, given that you went from an all-season tire to a summer tire?

They are surprisingly good tires. Went from Toyo Versado LXII luxury car tires to Defender LTX M/S truck tires on the Lexus LS430 and they rode much more better. A truck tire on a luxury car!

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Michelin OEM tires (just the like the remainder of OEM tires) are typically junk and I have never had any decent mileage from Michelin OEMs. While the Michelin MS/2's on my 2010 F-150 FX4 were fantastic, the Michelin AT/2's on my 2015 F-250 Platinum FX4 are garbage. From my point of view, Michelin is not the "be-all, end-all" of tires, BUT they do make some really good models and those typically shine, whereas the remainder not so much. YMMV (literally).

Same experience here as well on Michelin OEM tires. My Cadillac came with Michelin tires and even with a good 5/32s (a couple close to 6/32) I had to junk them. No good in rain at all and even did not grab that well on dry roads. My car is a V6 not a V8 and they still could not contain it. That's not to say they do not make good tires, but don't buy tires on the brand name. Buy them based on the ratings/reviews of that specific model/size.

Got some Coopers on it now and even down to low 5/32s right now they still handle rain and dry with no problem. I don't trust them in snow so they will be replaced later this year.

And as said JD Power, and Consumer reports as well, in awards like this are more about popularity and advertising, not performance/quality.

I think one massive factor is left out when consumers consider satisfaction with a OEM tire, PRICE.

OEM tires are essentially free. I have purchased one set of Michelin tires and found they were decent but the price paid vs performance factor was not great...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Funny, but going from Michelin Pilot Sport A/S to Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 my car now has 0 under-steer.

Doesn't that make sense, given that you went from an all-season tire to a summer tire?

Yes, but the kicker was that the tire was the same or better in snow and superb in ice, which I can't say for the A/S Pilots...

Funny, but going from Michelin Pilot Sport A/S to Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 my car now has 0 under-steer. Sumitomos that are now in the rear perform better than the pilots did and they are down to 245 vs 255 (stock). This price oriented mismatch set can really take a beating. Let's see if they last as long as the Michelins did (
Guess to each car its own tire...

Nothing wrong with Sumitomo tires. I have them on my Ridgeline. They're smooth riding, quiet and are lasting well. Awhile back Sumitomo was part of the Dunlop Tire Corp. before being bought by TBC Corp.

always liked Michelin tires..LTX is the benchmark for road touring. Continental and Pirelli have some excellent models too...Continental Procontact TX on the Civic just came off for the season at 14k..impressive especially in sub 4" icy snowed road...I'll run them again next winter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Yes, but the kicker was that the tire was the same or better in snow and superb in ice, which I can't say for the A/S Pilots...

That seems.... improbable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back