Street Outlaws

Status
Not open for further replies.
While watching an episode of street outlaws last night I noticed they were dumping O'Reilly full synthetic into one of their engines. I found it interesting with all the money they put in to their cars, that they chose to use a house brand oil. I understand they use very short drain intervals, but it was still surprising. Do we maybe overthink this oil thing a little bit? It seems any oil will do the job if it meets the spec. Also what does the additive package for the O'Reilly full synthetic look like? Is it similar to Napa or Carquest, lacking moly, containing sodium

Maybe that motor does not care, but lots of them do. Flat tappets with big springs would not live long that way. Of course most huge HP engines now days are running roller lifters, so not as much concern.

the plain bearings in the bottom end are not as critical as to oil ...

Don't they tend to rebuild those engines with relative frequency? Maybe they don't put enough passes on them for the oil to even matter.

Product placement.. Other shows I see RP, others M1.

They may have a package booster of some sort- but they only have to run a few seconds before teardown.
Correct Viscosity is king.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Product placement.. Other shows I see RP, others M1.

That's what I think, an advertisement. Gas Monkey garage has Havoline oil in racks, and signs placed strategically around the shop.

there you go. Subliminal advertising at its best ...
frown.gif

I've never seen the show in question.

But I can tell you that in Professional Drag Racing, the oil used in the engine may not be the same as a Sponsor's oil. If you're standing at the entrance to a Pro Pit, and you see the Crew opening specific brand bottles of oil, and pouring it in, don't be so sure that what's in the bottles, is what it says on the label. Think bottles that have been emptied of their original contents, and filled with something else. As mentioned, it makes for good product placement.

There are also exceptions to that. Some actually are using the oil they appear to be pouring in.

All makes sense, what do we know about the O'Reilly synthetic oil? Is the additive package the same as Napa or Carquest?

I have seen them touting Royal Purple all over the place. Pri, sema, facebook. But like was stated already I'm sure it's sponsor and they're getting paid for it.

A friend of mine was an engine builder for a race team sponsored by an oil company.
He has told me more than once that they never ran the sponsors oil in the race engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back