m1 5w30, 7.2k miles, '16 escape 2L GTDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8
M1 PPP etc seems like no benefits at 5,000 mile oil change intervals. I am debating a 0w-40 oil in my ecoboost. Or 5,000 mile oil change intervals. Not really shure.

I've seen the fuel dilution issue with my 2.0L TGDI Optima as well.

My strategy:

1) Use a full synthetic oil (I run M1 0W-40 oil, Castrol Edge 0W-40 would also be a great option as well).
2) Follow severe service OCI of ~4K miles (oil and filter - I use FRAM Ultra XG9688).
3) Use Top Tier 93 octane fuel (Shell Nitro or Costco).
4) Use a very good Oil Catch Can (OCC) on the PCV system (I use a Saikou Michi OCC product).
5) Check oil level frequently (every ~500 miles). I don't seem to use oil or see an increase in the fill level. I have no OLM system.
6) Do a UOA every other OCI (I've used both Blackstone and Polaris in the past) to keep a check on engine health.

So far, this is working well for me.

Well ... it is known for that and Ford (or whoever) prolly cares the most for exactly the warranty period that can survive on basic spec oils. If your target is 2 or 3 times said warranty - one might consider shorter than OLM runs and/or oil type etc ...
Having said that - my ecoboost OLM just called the dogs in at 5k ... so it did not feel good dumping Amazon priced PUP that early ... and that gives rise to blackbox questions ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Well ... it is known for that and Ford (or whoever) prolly cares the most for exactly the warranty period that can survive on basic spec oils. If your target is 2 or 3 times said warranty - one might consider shorter than OLM runs and/or oil type etc ...
Having said that - my ecoboost OLM just called the dogs in at 5k ... so it did not feel good dumping Amazon priced PUP that early ... and that gives rise to blackbox questions ...

Interesting that you OLM went off at 5,000 miles. Especially since you're in Texas where you don't get the long cold spells like I do in NJ, it's been in the 20's and 30's for most of the week, and it's the end of March
mad.gif
! Do you do mostly short drives with that vehicle? My wife bought a 2017 Explorer with the 2.3 DI turbo engine. We are going to change the FF at 2,500 miles at the dealer and then run their oil for 5,000 miles and do an UOA to see how bad the fuel dilution is. This vehicle is hoped to go 200,000 miles, like her 2005 Explorer, so maybe my best choice will be to use a quality syn-blend for 5,000 mile OCI's rather than waste synthetic for a short OCI. I'll post her 5,000 mi OCI UOA with the dealer, hopefully Motorcraft oil, change. We'll see how bad the fuel dilution is and the wear metals are.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Let me guess, this GTDI engine is being run on 87 octane.

Please elaborate as to possible benefits of 93 octane?

Originally Posted By: rshaw125

There is some anecdotal evidence that 93 octane fuel in a DI/TGDI engine spec'd for 87 octane decreases fuel dilution. The why is not completely clear, but one possible explanation is that DI/TGDI engines deal with engine knock by enriching the mixture: increasing the duration of the fuel injection pulse or changing its timing. If this is the case, it could increase the amount of unburned fuel that winds up in the crankcase. If 93 octane fuel keeps engine knock from occurring, perhaps this could be avoided.

A number of DI UOAs show high fuel dilution even when the car is mostly highway-driven, which could be consistent with the engine knock theory, especially given the ultra-low rpm contemporary engines run at highway speeds.

Can anyone explain why this is an issue if the wear numbers are perfectly fine?

I would think that if the dilution was having any meaningful effect on engine wear, the wear numbers would indicate this to a very obvious degree.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: rshaw125

There is some anecdotal evidence that 93 octane fuel in a DI/TGDI engine spec'd for 87 octane decreases fuel dilution. The why is not completely clear, but one possible explanation is that DI/TGDI engines deal with engine knock by enriching the mixture: increasing the duration of the fuel injection pulse or changing its timing. If this is the case, it could increase the amount of unburned fuel that winds up in the crankcase. If 93 octane fuel keeps engine knock from occurring, perhaps this could be avoided.

A number of DI UOAs show high fuel dilution even when the car is mostly highway-driven, which could be consistent with the engine knock theory, especially given the ultra-low rpm contemporary engines run at highway speeds.

It isn't just anecodotal. Manufacturers have documentation out there showing how going super rich on the A:F ratio physically cools the combustion chamber to reduce detonation/knock allowing the use of lower octane ratings in higher compression applications.

The ECMs are programmed to adjust based on octane. They will lean out with higher octane ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back