ACEA A3/B4 vs A5/B5--2013 Mini Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Visited my dealer today and started talking about oil with the tech as he was doing an oil change on a customer car. The recommended factory Mini oil for my car is the 5w-30 A3/B4, but the tech told me they are now using the Mini 0w-30 in all the Gen 1 and 2 cars (up to MY 2016--the newer cars use 0W-20). Both weights are BMW LL-01 but the 0w-30 is A5/B5. Big difference between the two ACEA ratings? Obviously the dealer is trying to avoid having to buy both if they can get away with it--can't really blame them if the oils are close.

Leaning heavily toward using the Castrol Edge 0w-40 but just trying to weigh all my options; I'm currently using the NLA Edge 0w-30 (as discussed in a recent thread) and would prefer to stay with that weight if at all possible.

Thanks!
Gary

A3/b4 has higher TBN, HTHS and SAPS. its more 'old school'
A5/b5 is Mid to low on all the above. Choose depending on fuel quality and usage patterns.

I believe BMW LL-01 requires the higher HT/HS oil (>3.5 cP). This makes it impossible for an oil to be both LL-01 AND ACEA A5/B5.

I'd read the bottle and see what they're actually using. BMW does have and LL-01 FE which is a low HT/HS product but you should find out what they using exactly.

I wouldn't think OP's engine should consider the tech's Mini 0W30 A5B5 in this context , it appears to me as a disservice to his customers , in terms of components longevity .... not that the engine will blow up many moons from now.

It is impossible for an A5/B5 to be rated LL01. LL01-FE maybe. Call MINI to see if they have back-specced your engine.

Even then, I would stick to the thicker, high-saps oil.

Originally Posted By: zeng
I wouldn't think OP's engine should consider the tech's Mini 0W30 A5B5 in this context , it appears to me as a disservice to his customers , in terms of components longevity .... not that the engine will blow up many moons from now.

I would agree, unless the OEM has changed something that we don't know about. Isn't it just lovely how a dealer puts in whatever is convenient for them, no matter how silly it is, yet they'd be the first to grouse if we did something like that?

It's not like an A3/B4 oil is more money than an A5/B5 in North America.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
It is impossible for an A5/B5 to be rated LL01. LL01-FE maybe. Call MINI to see if they have back-specced your engine.

Even then, I would stick to the thicker, high-saps oil.

Correct, MINIs require LL01 in ROW or LL04 in EU.
A5/B5 is full SAPS specification, just the HT-HS is lower. It's primarily Ford, Volvo and Jaguar spec.

Both spec are formulated as high performance. A5/B5 have similar requirements as the A3/B4 in regards to wear. But engine has to be designed to be able to take oils like this. Ford/Jag/Volvo are.

Thanks all--looks like Edge 0w-40 is the best choice--should mention that the car sees much track time so the 40 weight may actually be of benefit as pointed out in earlier thread.

Gary

Forced induction + Track = Edge 0W40
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: KL31
Forced induction + Track = Edge 0W40
thumbsup2.gif

Track, yes; FI, no--base non-S Cooper.....two 5qt jugs of Edge 0W40 now reside in my garage. First of 30+/- track days on 4/21 so it won't be there long
grin.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back