Suzuki OM recommends 0W-16 in 2017 Balano

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was pretty surprised today when looking through the manual of my parents new 2017 Suzuki balano. The preferred oil viscosity for the engine ( K12C ) is actually 0w-16. I was convinced it would take years before we would see that here in Europe. I guess the " thin oil " thing is here to stay.

Next problem is....it is impossible to find 0w-16 oil I'm Denmark where I live.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd ignore the OM and run 0W-30
smile.gif

At my wife's Suzuki Celerio's first service, the garage replaced the factory fill oil with Petronas Syntium 7000 0W20. Haven't checked the handbook but I would have assumed 0W16 is still 'too new' to be recommended.
I test drove the Baleno. It was very nice but TBH, I preferred the spartan austerity of the Celerio so I bought another for myself.

I've seen 0w20 that will qualify for the 16, so not so hard to find if you are looking.

They basically just split off the extra wide 20grade into low and high.

the the old low half of 20 viscosity range is now 0w16 no 0w20 was ever formulated in this viscosity range anyway.

the old upper half of the 20 viscosity range is still 20(ie 0w20)

The old range for 20wt was 5.6-9.3

The new ranges are 5.6-6.9 --ie 0w16
6.9-9.3 --ie 0w20

They also set the min HTHS numbers

or if that sounded like gibberish they explain it better at
http://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/sae-16-viscosity-grade.php

Originally Posted By: shDK
I was pretty surprised today when looking through the manual of my parents new 2017 Suzuki balano. The preferred oil viscosity for the engine ( K12C ) is actually 0w-16. I was convinced it would take years before we would see that here in Europe. I guess the " thin oil " thing is here to stay.

Next problem is....it is impossible to find 0w-16 oil I'm Denmark where I live.

Ravenol EFE 0w-16, should be available online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back