Fun car/truck for $6000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an itch to buy something fun. Surprised to see 2000-2007 Porsche Boxsters for $6-7000. Seems too good to be true. Do those cars get old fast? Also seeing 2008 Eos convertibles for about $8000 and 2007 BMW X3 for about $6000. Any recommendations for something fun and different than my Toyotas for not a lot of cash? Manual tranny preferred.

You can pick up a clean 6 speed T-Tops LS1 F-body.

The cars you mention at that price will be PRICEY to repair.
A 325 HP Low 13 second 1/4 mile F-body will not be pricey to repair.
Chances are in that price range they will have about 60 to 90,000 miles on them
and won't need anything.
Plus the aftermarket is huge and cheap as compared to what you have mentioned so you can mess around with them and not feel bad about it.

Define fun? Handling, top speed, acceleration, off-road prowess, top down, etc.

I know some guys that would say a nice CJ Jeep with a SBC would be THE TICKET
laugh.gif

If I'm not mistaken, a Boxster oil change requires the engine to be dropped. The first generation(2.7 litre) were on the slow side, but all generations are good drivers cars.

The most fun you can at that price is a good used Miata. Top down, great handling, stick shift, you get the idea. The modern spirit of the old British roadsters.
I'd also recommend a Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky, same reasons. Fun.

The Boxsters you are looking at have the dreaded IMS bearing issue. We have a 2004 X3 with 192k on it; I'd consider one with under 100k on the clock if it had a clean PPI. It's nice to drive, but calling it "fun" is stretching things a bit. If you want to try something entertaining from Bavaria I'd recommend a Z3 or an E36(1992-1999) 325is or 328is. Find a nice one and maintenance costs shouldn't be too excessive. The drivetrain is bulletproof and what electronics there are seldom give trouble- and are easily fixed regardless. Suspensions can get tired, but generally you are just looking at bushings and such.

Depends on the meaning of fun. I picked a Mercedes E-350 for fun. I just like the options, those are the fun part. Bixenons, active curve illumination, parking distance sensors, headlamp washers, panoramic sunroof, power trunk closer, keyless go etc. Plus lots of standard feature like 3 position memory seats, navigation, heated seats, etc.

You'd have to go 2007+ to avoid the balance shaft problem and even early 2007's had the problem, that's not a cheap fix, engine has to come out and about 3-6k depending on whether you go to an indy or the dealer. That puts you in the 7-8k range though.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Add a Honda S2000 to the list of fun used cars.

Good luck finding anything like that for 7k

I paid $6500 for mine. 188K miles. It's in great shape, fun car to tour around in and take to the track. To be fair, I do think I got a heck of a deal on it.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

This. I'd take an F-body LS1 over every car you listed in your post OP.

You'd probably spend close to the car's value each year keeping it up to par. My TDI was costing more each year than it was worth just to keep it going. (Sold for what it was worth, $4,500).

Maybe give 4-wheeling a shot and buy a Jeep/4Runner and go explore the great outdoors.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: ls1mike

This. I'd take an F-body LS1 over every car you listed in your post OP.

I agree on the GM 4th Generation F bodies. Some good deals in the V8 Mustangs of that era too. But bang for buck goes to the LS1.

Only caution of the LS1 F Body is to ensure the T56 and rear end don't have any issues. A 60K-100K mile T56 that has gone through many owners can be thrashed, bordering on a $2K-$3K rebuild. Stock rear ends are a weak link on the manuals for those owners that beat on them. I'd try to shoot for a 1 owner car no matter what you do. At least the odds are a bit better and you can feel them out in person.

F body firebird, or 03-04 Mustang Mach 1 would be my choice. Sometimes you can find a 99/01 Cobra for under $6k. 96-98 cobra, too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back