0-40 European formula

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, just in need of some good advice on this European formula oil that seems to be popping up everywhere I look in my area. I bought a 2008 challenger srt back in November with 7000 miles on it from a local dodge dealer, Ive only driven the car a couple hundred miles before I put it away for the winter.
So my plan is to change the oil and filter before I take it out for the summer because God only knows what the dealer put in it when they changed it before I took delivery lol.
So I guess what I need to know is should I even be considering using this European stuff or do I really have to buy the PUP srt stuff because I'm not big on getting ripped off and it seems to be way to much at 10 bucks or so a quart, as you all know WM has M1 and PP and CE for half the cost but around here it's all the European stuff in 0-40, so any advice or recommendations on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Originally Posted By: Rugman
as you all know WM has M1 and PP and CE for half the cost but around here it's all the European stuff in 0-40, so any advice or recommendations on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You are correct. All those 0w40 Walmart oils would be perfect. Notice the Euro spec "229.5" oil there meets the highest standards for gasoline engines. Actually, before Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 got the contract with Chrysler to become the official oil of SRT, Mobil1 0w40 was the best choice. M1 0w40 is still excellent for that. All you need to look for is the highest spec performance standard there is, the 229.5 number on the 5 quart jugs, on all of them.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
as you all know WM has M1 and PP and CE for half the cost but around here it's all the European stuff in 0-40, so any advice or recommendations on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You are correct. All those 0w40 Walmart oils would be perfect. Notice the Euro spec "229.5" oil there meets the highest standards for gasoline engines. Actually, before Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 got the contract with Chrysler to become the official oil of SRT, Mobil1 0w40 was the best choice. M1 0w40 is still excellent for that. All you need to look for is the highest spec performance standard there is, the 229.5 number on the 5 quart jugs, on all of them.

Actually some feel that Castrol 0w40 might be better because it has BWM LL-01 approval whereas Mobil 1 lost it recently. Not sure if that's because Mobil 1 is inferior or if they just didn't want to pay the license fee. Anyway, they both meet MB 229.5 so either is good enough for my Mercedes.

Anyway, I wonder what the spec is for your car. I wouldn't mind running a 0w20 or a 5w-20 oil if there was one that met spec as those are energy conserving oils, but they're not approved by the manufacturer. Those 0w40 oils are not energy conserving. I ran 5w20 in a Ford for years and got over 200k out of it before I got rid of it.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Anyway, I wonder what the spec is for your car. I wouldn't mind running a 0w20 or a 5w-20 oil if there was one that met spec as those are energy conserving oils, but they're not approved by the manufacturer. Those 0w40 oils are not energy conserving. I ran 5w20 in a Ford for years and got over 200k out of it before I got rid of it.

Chrsyler recommended M1 0w40 back in 2008 for that SRT. Any 229.5 0w40 will do fine. Pennzoil got the contract later on, but all the euro 0w40's work great.
Actually, if one doesn't really thrash the car at the drag strip or track, you can run full synthetic 0w30 or 5w30 of HTHS about equal to 3.0 for better MPG.

So if I'm understanding you guys correctly your saying that this European stuff is just as good as the PUP srt stuff ?
Not really to concerned about energy conserving or gas mileage just need to be sure the engine is fully protected because when I take it out for my weekend joyrides I do run it a little hard from time to time, especially when my wife is not in the passenger seat lolhaha.

Not really sure I'm willing to support BP after that deep water horizon nightmare !!!!!!

So if I'm understanding you guys correctly your saying that this European stuff is just as good as the PUP srt stuff ?
Not really to concerned about energy conserving or gas mileage just need to be sure the engine is fully protected because when I take it out for my weekend joyrides I do run it a little hard from time to time, especially when my wife is not in the passenger seat lolhaha.

Euro stuff is actually better.
Always look for MB 229.5 (NOACK max 10%), BMW LL-01 and Porsche A40 for gasoline engines.
SRT has higher NOACK then Euro oils.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Actually some feel that Castrol 0w40 might be better because it has BWM LL-01 approval whereas Mobil 1 lost it recently. Not sure if that's because Mobil 1 is inferior or if they just didn't want to pay the license fee. Anyway, they both meet MB 229.5 so either is good enough for my Mercedes.

Getting approval (licensing fee) is very, very cheap.

Chrsyler recommended M1 0w40 back in 2008 for that SRT. Any 229.5 0w40 will do fine. Pennzoil got the contract later on, but all the euro 0w40's work great.
Actually, if one doesn't really thrash the car at the drag strip or track, you can run full synthetic 0w30 or 5w30 of HTHS about equal to 3.0 for better MPG.

Chrysler has recommended M1 0W-40 in the 6.1 since 2005, the first year produced.

I seriously doubt anyone buys a SRT with fuel mileage concerns, if they did it may be a poor choice. Even spirited street driving can really elevate the oil temps in these cars.

Last edited:
I'm slowly learning about the scientifics of these oils and have seen it mentioned a couple times, what is NOACK ?

Not really sure I'm willing to support BP after that deep water horizon nightmare !!!!!!

Every oil company has a skeleton in it's closet. Shouldn't be bias just because the closet is in your house.

The Mobil 1 0w40 formula changed AND it lost the BMW certification at the same time. The answer is obvious.

Yea well I'm not a big fan of any huge multi billion dollar company anywhere that puts the lives of hard working everyday people at risk for the sake of its shareholders !!!!
It happens daily in this country and it [censored] me off badly.
It took me quite a few years to start buying XOM products again after Valdeze horror show, this kind of nonsense should never happen anywhere !!!

An LL oil is not going to show lower wear due to the big overbase that works agains antiwear.

You DONT necessarily want LL in a super performance engine /car,

Leave the oil you got in it. I'm sure its FINE unless you hear funny clacking noises or slight rapping when hot. Give it a few drives and some time. Don't be silly.

Over changing oil will hurt the baby MORE. Oil is "wicked hash" when new due to fresh, fully up detergency. Its not at its BEST when fresh - which I understand goes against lay notions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Over changing oil will hurt the baby MORE. Oil is "wicked hash" when new due to fresh, fully up detergency. Its not at its BEST when fresh - which I understand goes against lay notions.

The way I heard a retired oil chemist describe it, the wear levels tend to be higher soon after an oil change. He attributed this to the time it took for ZDDP to oxidize to make it fully effective.

I do actually have a little knocking at startup now that you mention it, and also I noticed the oil pressure is really high according to the gauge. I had a 2007 Daytona charger prior to this car and the oil pressure was never that high.
So like I said God only knows what the dealer put in it, probably whatever they had on hand at the time.

I have a bone stock 2010 SRT and has been noted, Mobil 1 0w40 is printed on the oil fill cap. No offense to the ones making the suggestions but do not run a Xw30 or anything else but 0w40 in your 6.1. I have not used Castrol's 0w40 but have run PUP and naturally, M1 (original formula and the new) and I can tell no difference between the three. I am using the SRT oil filter. I have a 6 speed and if I keep my foot out of it the gas mileage is surprisingly good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back