Mobil 1 Annual Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they'll keep the price at 50 bucks. Also, I don't see the EP restocking. I wonder if the $50 price is a strategy to get rid of all the EP and then come down on the AP. AP is the new EP?

Originally Posted By: salcuta88
I don't think they'll keep the price at 50 bucks. Also, I don't see the EP restocking. I wonder if the $50 price is a strategy to get rid of all the EP and then come down on the AP. AP is the new EP?

That could very well be the strategy. Clear out the EP, without closeout pricing and discontinue it. Then make the price of the M1 AP a few dollars more than EP was, lets say $32.99-$34.99 and it becomes the EP replacement. I can't believe XOM is stupid enough to think a $50 jug of oil is going to sell in WMT.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

That could very well be the strategy. Clear out the EP, without closeout pricing and discontinue it. Then make the price of the M1 AP a few dollars more than EP was, lets say $32.99-$34.99 and it becomes the EP replacement. I can't believe XOM is stupid enough to think a $50 jug of oil is going to sell in WMT.

Agreed x2

EP magically becomes more valuable to the average consumer when they are strictly comparing prices.

It is crazy that this oil doesn't seem to carry any sort of modern certifications. Also what about the new AP filters? I wonder what the difference if any that there is between these and the EP filters.

I got one (M1c-151A) in my daily. From what I've seen, slightly less effecient and more mileage.

Just my guess, but I don't see M1 EP going anywhere. Mobil has a stranglehold on the syn market, perhaps AP is an attempt to push into the boutique oil category. They are marketing masters, it might work. I don't see it being a hit at Walmart though.

Originally Posted By: JHogan
It is crazy that this oil doesn't seem to carry any sort of modern certifications. Also what about the new AP filters? I wonder what the difference if any that there is between these and the EP filters.

Well it does have the latest API cert and Dexos approval. I get that it's not much. However, they're basically asking the buyer to go against the manufacturers' recommendations for OCI.

The only extended OCI in cars sold in North America seem to be from the Europeans, and they're typically listing approved oils like M! 0W-40. The MB approvals are for a bunch of oils from Mobil, Valvoline, Castrol, and Pennzoil. For the most part I don't think these approvals are based on the API specs, but on meeting more precise viscosity and longevity requirements from the manufacturer.

I'll stick with my 5K and Pennz Platinum routine, you can keep tiny Harvick
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
At $50 in Walmart it is destined to fail. Unless they lower the price I'll wait for them to blow it out on a closeout sale, then try it.

I've seen the Royal Purple collecting a good coating of dust. And it's about $35 IIRC. Can't believe that will continue either, space at Wallys is too valuable for shelf relics.

I think it's odd that WM is ditching Valvoline MaxLife ATF and Mobil1 EP, which both seem to sell very well; at least from what I gather on here.

Castrol TransMax and this Mobil AP may very well be just as good if not better, but why break something that wasn't broken?

Hmm..

I like that thinking....$35.00 for 5 quarts would be a good value if it is as good as it is hyped to be. Guess we will see when you guys get some analysis reports out there.Hopefully,someone will push this oil to its limits on a turbos motor,GDI motor,or both.

I am starting to bend towards this oil especially for my Mom's car as it will easily handle a full year of her driving plus I am thinking about it for myself and just a way to save time and concentrate on other things that need to be done.

Mobil 1 EP has 50% more of SuperSyn PAO (mPAO) than regular Mobil 1. So, maybe AP have more mPAO than EP.

Here's what the Mobil 1 website has to say about that difference between Regular M1 and EP:
"Mobil 1 Extended Performance formulas are designed specifically for today's longer service intervals and are guaranteed to protect for up to 15,000 miles or one year.
Mobil 1 Extended Performance has a unique formulation with a boosted level of protection and performance. Mobil 1 Extended Performance, with the Advanced SuperSyn* System, contains 50 percent more SuperSyn than Mobil 1"

This might indicate that the extended performance synthetic oil has about 50% more mPAO synthetic base stock than their regular "fully" synthetic oil. This would probably be a much better buy for the slightly increased cost.

*Mobil's definition of SuperSyn: "Mobil SuperSyn PAOs were developed to extend the range of conventional high viscosity PAOs and maintain excellent low temperature fluidity. Mobil SuperSyn PAOs are a class of high viscosity, high Viscosity Index (VI) polyalphaolefins manufactured by Mobil Chemical using patented, proprietary technology."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Malo83
I'll stick with my 5K and Pennz Platinum routine, you can keep tiny Harvick
lol.gif

Who is Harvick and what does he have to do with the discussion?

XOM’s mPAO is SpectraSyn Elite … don’t think the thinnest grades (like AP) would require more than SpectraSyn along with a dash or two of other base stocks …

Kevin Harvick. NASCAR driver for Stewart/Haas racing. And yes he is tiny in that commercial
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Hammehead
Here's what the Mobil 1 website has to say about that difference between Regular M1 and EP:
"Mobil 1 Extended Performance formulas are designed specifically for today's longer service intervals and are guaranteed to protect for up to 15,000 miles or one year.
Mobil 1 Extended Performance has a unique formulation with a boosted level of protection and performance. Mobil 1 Extended Performance, with the Advanced SuperSyn* System, contains 50 percent more SuperSyn than Mobil 1"

This might indicate that the extended performance synthetic oil has about 50% more mPAO synthetic base stock than their regular "fully" synthetic oil. This would probably be a much better buy for the slightly increased cost.

*Mobil's definition of SuperSyn: "Mobil SuperSyn PAOs were developed to extend the range of conventional high viscosity PAOs and maintain excellent low temperature fluidity. Mobil SuperSyn PAOs are a class of high viscosity, high Viscosity Index (VI) polyalphaolefins manufactured by Mobil Chemical using patented, proprietary technology."

Would this also mean that Mobil 1 EP would last longer and protect engine components better than regular Mobil 1 in a car that is only driven say 5000 miles in 1-1/2 years and the oil left in for that long?

No, just better viscosity retention. In that case the antioxidant, anticorrosion and antirust matters more, than base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back