A Way to Test Seafoam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had an idea to see if the smoke show you get from sea foaming an engine is actually doing anything. I'm a 50/50 skeptic on it but I do know of people who get rough idles and other small maladies fixed from it.

Do it 2 or 3 more times. Supposedly the big cloud you get is the sea foam doing it's work and your engine is burning carbon deposits or other [censored]. Well if you keep doing the exact same procedure in a short interval, shouldn't you see less of a cloud and eventually none?

If it creates the same smoke show, I think we can probably conclude at that point, that at least the smoke show part is just for show and it's not your engine actually disposing of grime.

Originally Posted By: PolarisX
Seafoam is mostly pale oil if I remember right, which should smoke no matter what. Right?

The smoke is the pale oil burning. Seafoam is very expensive for what it is, alcohol pale oil and some naptha.

Theres a video on youtube where a guy takes a brand new lawnmower out of the box and seafoams it. It looks like a smoke show. I have seafoamed my vehicles and never see a difference.

Well per the MSDS it consists of 75% hydrocarbon blends and 25% alcohol.
So when you dump in a slug of this, the engine is going to run very rich, and you'll see the exhaust plume.

Last edited:
The funny thing is when Seafoam was cheap I'd never look into it. Now that its some gift from God and the prices show it more people seem to be curious about it.

I don't think I've manually seafoam'd a car in about 5 years.

Originally Posted By: RichardS
There was a video shared on here where a guy scoped a new car and then foamed it. It was unimpressive.

What would it clean out of a NEW car?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
The smoke is the pale oil burning. Seafoam is very expensive for what it is, alcohol pale oil and some naptha.

Clever get rich quick scheme for the SeaFoam company owner. Market it, get it into stores, and they will come..... cha-ching

Acrobatic Smoke Air Show, just need a hot metal to start it. Nothing to do with carbon burning. My BBQ never see white smoke.

I got my hands on a 2006 Cadillac CTS last year with only 52K miles on it. I used the CRC Intake cleaner product, which is used similar to Seafoam and got none of the smoke show stuff. Obviously different composition. But the engine did run a lot smoother afterward. That car had been poorly maintained. Air filter was caked, MAF was dirty, TB was pretty bad also. Some little old lady who only drove it to the store and church on Sunday had the car before me. A real good buy though and has been worth every penny I paid for it. Wife loves the car. Body in fantastic shape and runs great.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Originally Posted By: RichardS
There was a video shared on here where a guy scoped a new car and then foamed it. It was unimpressive.

What would it clean out of a NEW car?

That's the point.

Funnily, the next video will show you the same white smoke being generated after using the Gumout product!

Tired trucker> May I suggest an Italian tuneup ? Get that Caddy warm by doing the speed limit in 2 Keep it going for as long as you can stand it. My old BMWs loved them. When you get home do a drain and fill on the trans. and check for leaks of anything. You will have problems from the low miles, more than anything else I'm jealous
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back