Yamalube???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys so I have been running Yamalube in my 2000 Yamaha Warrior 350 ATV and my buddy advised me I should switch to a "better" oil. That being said I have looked at Maxima, MOTUL, Bel-Ray, etc.. What would be the best recommend 10w40 oil?? Or is Yamalube fine...?

Don't take your friends advise. Yamalube* is the BEST oil I've used when they use to make a 20W40 and I was riding Japanese motorcycles.
Yamalube is fine.

* as far as shift quality was concerned.

You can try one of those synthetics, but it might not shift as well as the factory stuff. Many folks run Rotella 15W40 in their wet clutch systems since it's cheap and apparently meets the specs for wet clutch use.

If it doesn't have a wet clutch, then you can use any 40 or 50 weight synthetic or conventional in the engine just fine.

In my Grizzly 700 I have used Yamalube, Rotella, Maxima and Amsoil and I have to say that the Amsoil Formula 4-Stroke Power Sports Motor Oil 0w-40 has been by far the best oil for my toy. It is really that good in my application. I am not an Amsoil fan boy but this stuff really works well.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Don't take your friends advise. Yamalube* is the BEST oil I've used when they use to make a 20W40 and I was riding Japanese motorcycles.
Yamalube is fine.

* as far as shift quality was concerned.

Can you tell us why Yamalube is the best? Inquiring minds want to know.

The whole wet clutch thing is way over rated. Wet being the real important part. Any 10w40 car oil would be fine in that Yamaha. Yamalube is one the more affordable. I definitely wouldn't waste money on Belray, Amsoil or a high dollar "Wet Clutch" specific oil. Try it you'll see. I am talking from experience in everything from ATVs,Motocross and street bikes. It's overated.

In combined sump applications, I almost always run an Allison approved fluid. Tested to there and back and goes in equipment that costs more than my house. The ones you listed are usually fine, but lack any test data. We know Yamalube meets MFG specs.

http://www.allisontransmission.com/parts-service/approved-fluids/off-highway-fluids Take your pick
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
In combined sump applications, I almost always run an Allison approved fluid. Tested to there and back and goes in equipment that costs more than my house. The ones you listed are usually fine, but lack any test data. We know Yamalube meets MFG specs.

http://www.allisontransmission.com/parts-service/approved-fluids/off-highway-fluids Take your pick
smile.gif

What does Allison Transmission specs have to do with ATV's?

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
The whole wet clutch thing is way over rated. Wet being the real important part. Any 10w40 car oil would be fine in that Yamaha. Yamalube is one the more affordable. I definitely wouldn't waste money on Belray, Amsoil or a high dollar "Wet Clutch" specific oil. Try it you'll see. I am talking from experience in everything from ATVs,Motocross and street bikes. It's overated.

Unless Panzerman can give us real world data, I would tread VERY lightly with this advise. To me it kinda sounds like someone stating that any SN rated 5w-30 oil would be fine for a BMW 740i with OEM oil change intervals. Just sayin...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

smile.gif

What does Allison Transmission specs have to do with ATV's?

Wet clutch compatibility.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Originally Posted By: Panzerman

Unless Panzerman can give us real world data, I would tread VERY lightly with this advise. To me it kinda sounds like someone stating that any SN rated 5w-30 oil would be fine for a BMW 740i with OEM oil change intervals. Just sayin...

What real world data? Would that be the data supplied by the oil supplier that is making boo Koo bucks on selling you motorcycle oil for your motorcycle. Like Polaris that sells gearbox lube that was use 30 weight motor oil before we made our own brand of oil and call it AGL and sell it for $14 a qt. I am telling you I ve had over 20 motorcycles in my life. I ve ran high dollar Belray Gearsaver, car oil, Diesel motor oil and even ATF in two stroke wet gear boxs. I have found car oil works fine. I just put Valvoline 10w40 in my daughter's Honda Rebel 250 and she said it shifted Great. Better than with motorcycle specific oil. SoI am not giving you Real Data, I am giving you Real Life.

A standard plate style clutch used for shifting and pulling out will not be affected by most NON wet clutch oils. Where they will cause a problem is in Drum style wet clutches on high torque heavy 4wd machines such as the grizzly, king quads, new Teryx and wildcats, and more. If you put good Automotive synthetics in these machines I promise you will regret it. They will allow the clutch to slip too much and overheat it. Then the shoes glaze and harden and its all down hill from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back