Platinum but not Ultra Platinum Dexos Gen2 appr'vd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it interesting that Pennzoil Platinum is Dexos Gen2 approved, but not the Platinum Ultra. Any thoughts on this?

The CQA claims to do random sampling on dexos licensed oil, and since PUP isn't easily to obtain, they can't always carry out the audit, so it's not eligible
27.gif

MY 2012 Traverse is out of warranty (and dealer oil changes) and I was going to move to PUP.... wonder if I should go to PP, which is Gen2 approved?

Originally Posted By: fafafooey
MY 2012 Traverse is out of warranty (and dealer oil changes) and I was going to move to PUP.... wonder if I should go to PP, which is Gen2 approved?

Don't give this a moment's concern. As long as you have oil on the crosshatch, you'll be ok..

Its going to take a few months for the full transition to dexos1 Gen2. Lots of missing oils on there now. Strange seeing Mobil Super Synthetic fully represented while no M1 EP on there yet.

Seems interesting that PUP is hard to find at most retailers and Pennzoil may not have agressively sought Gen2 approval for PUP. I wonder if PUP is not working out for them well?

Originally Posted By: fafafooey
Seems interesting that PUP is hard to find at most retailers and Pennzoil may not have agressively sought Gen2 approval for PUP. I wonder if PUP is not working out for them well?

Cant find PUPPP in stock locally around here. Seeing online availability at twice the price as other premium full synthetics. Wonder why its so scarce and pricey? Went with QSUD last oil change; available and the price was right.

Yeah, it is so new and the list is pretty short now. It will get populated with more oils once everyone cracks open their wallet and gets on the list.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
It doesn't really matter because you won't be able to find PUP anyway
smile.gif

It's true, I don't like to stash oil and even ordering ship to store from Wal-Mart is too hit or miss.

I had to move on.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Yeah, it is so new and the list is pretty short now. It will get populated with more oils once everyone cracks open their wallet and gets on the list.

Maybe it shows that Shell knows PUP (and the old PU) is hard to get for consumers. Certify what can be easily found, play with the unicorns later.
wink.gif

Anyone hear if the GTL plant is back up 100% ? Or could this be another "eggs in one basket" business story ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Anyone hear if the GTL plant is back up 100% ? Or could this be another "eggs in one basket" business story ...

Last I heard it would be down until Q1 2018 - not sure how accurate this is.

Originally Posted By: Solarent
Originally Posted By: 4WD

Last I heard it would be down until Q1 2018 - not sure how accurate this is.

Maybe that's why WMT hiked the price to over $64 for a 5 quart jug of Ultra? I heard Pennzoil had a 5% price increase, but $64 for a 5 quart jug of Ultra is insanity. AMZN's price is steep too, a bit better than WMT though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back