Munmorah Power Station Chimney's dropped today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KingCake
what does this mean, exactly?

They knocked over two tall chimneys. Fall over, go boom.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

They knocked over two tall chimneys.

Nailed it...

Our coal fired station got a stay of execution. There might be a protest if they tried to knock the chimneys down, they are part of the towns identity. How would I know what the weather is doing ?

Originally Posted By: dishdude

They knocked over two tall chimneys. Fall over, go boom.

Love it.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Our coal fired station got a stay of execution. There might be a protest if they tried to knock the chimneys down, they are part of the towns identity. How would I know what the weather is doing ?

Silk,
they slapped a heritage order on one of the old Stacks at Wallerawang...leaves the site owner with a LOT of expense and due dilligence, and no hot gasses to dry out the mortar in the brick linings.

I take it that you are referring the stacks to being like the "weather stones" the you see from time to time.

Hyperbolic cooling towers do a pretty good job too...

If I look out my bedroom window and can't see the red light flashing, I know it's fog or raining...wet ride to work. Which side of the tower is wet tells me which way the rain is coming from.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Silk

Silk,
they slapped a heritage order on one of the old Stacks at Wallerawang...leaves the site owner with a LOT of expense and due dilligence, and no hot gasses to dry out the mortar in the brick linings.

I take it that you are referring the stacks to being like the "weather stones" the you see from time to time.

Hyperbolic cooling towers do a pretty good job too...
Shannow-does that mean there is a danger of them falling by themselves if they're not in use, due to the mortar (or concrete) getting damp?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Silk,

They'll have to keep a coal fire burning at the base to preserve the chimney .....
thumbsup2.gif

I recall a chimney at a generation facility collapsing on the unit while the brick liner was being repaired but can't remember the exact circumstances. Believe the station was in Texas. Recall the event because I was involved in contracting out chimney repair at the Craig Generating Station.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Shannow-does that mean there is a danger of them falling by themselves if they're not in use, due to the mortar (or concrete) getting damp?

Old old ones were brick inner/brick outer, they can become problematic.

Since the 50s (or earlier ??) they are concrete with an inner lining of brick, and an air gao to protect the concrete from acid attack and heat.

Structure is highly unlikely to fail, but still needs due dilligence inspections. But brickwork can fall from inside, and shoot out the openings at decent velocity...or collapse entirely inside the structure.

Project manager for the demolition used to be my GM...

Here's some boilers coming down...

Our old power station which sat close to the main highway and river was taken down piece by piece, the frame clad in iron and is now used by the demo company as a recycling centre.

Then.

14532652421_6d80c0bb63_b.jpg

Now. All gone, and the overhead coal conveyer too, it travelled inland to the left.

true-commercial-meremere-farm-block.jpg

Huntly gone down to paddock, including the GT's ?

I think that they still have my turbine blade root drill bits.

No, this is Meremere, a bit further north. It was still running when they finished Huntly, and was dismantled about 10 years ago. There was a housing area behind on the hill, one of my wife's uncles worked and lived there. Thermal power sites next to the river for cooling, and close to coal mines, the opencast mine (Kopuku) was about 10km away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back