U Dont Need To Prefill Oil Filter..Scotty Kilmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefill and my uoa was perfect. Although I may now not bother. If Scotty Kilmer was such a hack, I guess he wouldnt be around still..he might just have old outdated ideas on stuff but if it works so be it.

So if I use an Amsoil double-filter bypass setup on a custom heated pumping loop to warm the oil and filter it for 8-12 hours before prefilling my filter I should be OK then?
laugh.gif

In all seriousness, the "clean" particle count VOA makes me wonder if the increased wear on brand new oil truly is just a tribodynamic thing, or if it is more directly tied to all of those particulates coursing through the intimate passages before filtering enough of the junk out.

Seriously...we found it on the turbine bypass hydraulics at work, which a little unique in that some of the orifices are 0.001"...we have to filter the oil into the tank before we use it, otherwise it NEVER gets clean.

I always prefill my 2qt filter with 1 qt of oil before screwing on to the engine.

With newer style oil pumps I agree its probably not necessary but I do it anyway when possible. On engines with older style twin gear pumps and big filters it was very common to have bottom end knock for a few seconds if you didn't pre fill the filter, these pumps had much less volume and pressure than crankshaft driven gerotor pumps common today.
When the filter was pre filled there was no knocking, for me that is evidence enough that there may be some benefit to it in some cases.
No doubt in my mind that the knocking was doing more damage than the few PPM contaminants that may or may not be found in new oil.

Originally Posted By: Trav
With newer style oil pumps I agree its probably not necessary but I do it anyway when possible. On engines with older style twin gear pumps and big filters it was very common to have bottom end knock for a few seconds if you didn't pre fill the filter, these pumps had much less volume and pressure than crankshaft driven gerotor pumps common today.
When the filter was pre filled there was no knocking, for me that is evidence enough that there may be some benefit to it in some cases.
No doubt in my mind that the knocking was doing more damage than the few PPM contaminants that may or may not be found in new oil.
+ 100 on this. I always pre-fill my filters before installing them.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Well, in some vehicles (like my wife's) the oil fill hole is right on the valve cover. So any new oil is being dumped straight onto one of the valve tappets and cams.

Multipass efficiency of the oil filter is supposed to be more important, so not going through the filter once hardly seems like a big deal.

Apparently many major car makers think it such a small issue that they don't bother to install filter mounts which allow prefilling.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Apparently many major car makers think it such a small issue that they don't bother to install filter mounts which allow prefilling.

Like new Subaru filter mounts?

lkSIqXf.jpg

Maybe not prefill, but one could still wet the filter media with oil.

I'm in the yes to pre-fill group. Even on my Honda K-24 where it is mounted completely horizontal (sideways) it is possible to fill it up and install without spilling a drop
Steve

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
That's a very convenient spot, but I don't see how that doesn't make a huge mess.

There's not much oil in the filter since gravity drains it.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Like new Subaru filter mounts?

Maybe not prefill, but one could still wet the filter media with oil.

I love the top mount oil filter position on my FXT...I was scouting around for the filter on my wife's Avalon and had no idea where I might be, it's a cartridge style and I'm sure it's hidden down below somewhere. She didn't trust me to change her oil, anyway, so I never bothered to figure out where the thing was. Yeah, I know, she's pretty smart...
I did put a small amount of oil in my filter last time I did a change on the FXT, I'm sure it didn't help or hurt anything and it didn't cause a mess.

I do or do not. Doubt it is a critical issue anyway.

Worrying about the particle count in clean oil for this issue is dumb.

Almost all of us are dumping this "dirty" oil all over the engine parts as a part of filling the engine.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
That's a very convenient spot, but I don't see how that doesn't make a huge mess.

I agree.. How on earth can you prefill a filter, then flip it upside down to install it without making a mess?

Prefilling is a waste of time in my opinion, unnecessary.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
He's totally off the mark. IMO

Starts @ 1:20

The filter on my 2015 Subaru Outback is upside down. It's not possible to prefill it with oil. On my Taurus, opening up, yes I typically fill it as well as my sideways filters (Mazda CX-5). However, Subaru has some very good engineers...if it's not necessary to prefill then it's not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back