New(?) Mobil 1 oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: pbm
I looked at the new Mobil 1 M103A filter at Walmart and one of the older M103 versions at AA and they seem to be exactly the same filter. The 103A was made on 1/17/17 and the M103 was made on 1/10/17 (a week earlier).
I'm betting that the 'A' filters are replacing the older versions (and are just newly packaged but identical inside) and the changeover happened sometime between 1/10/17 and 1/17/17.

Nope, the new M1-210Af I cut open was made 12/01/16.

Yes, my bad, I forgot that your 'A' filter was made last December. I still feel that the only thing that has changed is the packaging and going from 15K to 20K recommendation....they seem identical and the cut open filter looks the same as the older version.

There may also be different transition dates for different models.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Previously 99.6% @ 25 microns.

Now with the "A" added to the part number 99+% @ 30 microns.

99.6%@25u or 99.0%@25u ?

A request to the american friends!
Please call the ChampLabs hotline (800-882-0890), ask about the exact filtering efficiency of the M1-104 and M1-104A filters (I know that the exact numbers on the phone are spoken by a particular model, not just the reference filter M1-301)
Thanks for the help!

Pretty disappointing they didn't go with a full synthetic media. Amsoil EA is pretty much the same can and ADBV, but with full synthetic wire backed media.
If Mobil is going to market a "premium" filter for extended changes, they should make it better than the mid tier product other brands are offering.
I see no reason to run one of these over a standard Wix.

Originally Posted By: Izb

99.6%@25u or 99.0%@25u ?

Please call the ChampLabs hotline (800-882-0890), ask about the exact filtering efficiency of the M1-104 and M1-104A filters (I know that the exact numbers on the phone are spoken by a particular model, not just the reference filter M1-301)
Thanks for the help!

The web link to this file quit working not long ago, probably in anticipation of the "New" M1 oil filters with "A" suffix in the part number being released. here is the file shared via Google drive.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz2NTEAdC4vxdDNXV05Yc0FHUGczaVRTeF9qb0FuTWt2bXRF

My eyes still read 99.6% @ 25 microns.

Can you post published ISO 4548-12 data showing a different numerical value?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Got a return phone call from Federal Mogul. Their Champion oil filters are 99% efficient @ 20 microns per their rep. Good for 7,500 miles on conventional oil or 12,000 miles on synthetic oil. No time constraint (i.e. 1 year).

I'd like to hear their reasoning why it can be used longer with synthetic oil. Oil filters don't care if the oil is conventional or synthetic. I'd think you could do 2x 6K or 3x 4K oil changes and run the filter to 12K miles regardless of the type of oil used.

Oops, meant to say: "I'd like to hear their reasoning why it can't be used longer with NON-synthetic oil."

Have you contacted Federal Mogul yet with your questions?

Will you ever?

Originally Posted By: cronk
Pretty disappointing they didn't go with a full synthetic media. Amsoil EA is pretty much the same can and ADBV, but with full synthetic wire backed media.
If Mobil is going to market a "premium" filter for extended changes, they should make it better than the mid tier product other brands are offering.

They understand people won't know the difference, whether its full syn media or half-paper media like they use. All people see is fancy packaging. Profits then go up for Exxon-Mobil.

Yeah, $12~ Mobil can keep that filter

When I get a FL-400S for $3.97 anyday at Wally World I'll stick with them thank you

Got a return phone call from Federal Mogul. Their Champion oil filters are 99% efficient @ 20 microns per their rep. Good for 7,500 miles on conventional oil or 12,000 miles on synthetic oil. No time constraint (i.e. 1 year).

I'd like to hear their reasoning why it can be used longer with synthetic oil. Oil filters don't care if the oil is conventional or synthetic. I'd think you could do 2x 6K or 3x 4K oil changes and run the filter to 12K miles regardless of the type of oil used.

Oops, meant to say: "I'd like to hear their reasoning why it can't be used longer with NON-synthetic oil."

Have you contacted Federal Mogul yet with your questions?

Will you ever?

Nope, and nope ... I don't use them, and the person on the tech line probably doesn't have a good answer anyway because there is no real logical reason why a filter's use span should change based on the type of oil used. It's use span is based on the amount of debris it can hold regardless of the type of oil flowing through it.

Originally Posted By: Izb

99.6%@25u or 99.0%@25u ?

Thanks for the help!

There is information about filtering efficiency on the box of new M1-110A/M1-104A filters (99% at 30 u).
But there is no full information about filtering efficiency of old M1-110/M1-104 filters. One seller write about 99% at 25u, another seller write about 99.6% at 25u.

99.9$ @25u or 99.6%@25u or 99.0%@25u ?

Please call the ChampLabs hotline (800-882-0890), ask about the exact filtering efficiency of the M1-104 and M1-110 filters.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oshia86
I get the effeciency part, but would that drop be really much of a concern? I'm a bitog noob, but have been following for years. Just don't really know if that drop is gonna matter any in the real world. I got the filter because it wasn't a failure prone FU cartridge filter, it is readily available and close by, the price ins't bad, and I don't have any qualms with taking it to 10k.

Actually you are right, the difference between 25 and 30 microns is 5/1,000,000 of a meter or 0.000005 meters. So it wont make any difference at all. Just to give you an idea (its not scientific just to give you something to visualise) imagine you are sanding wet sanding a metal block with 4000 grit paper (your old mobil 1) and 4000 grit paper with 5% particles from coarser 3800 grit sand paper (i know there is probably no 3800 grit sandpaper simply because 3800 and 4000 will sand the same)

Also the thing to consider here is this 25 micron to 30 microns switch may also mean, new filter is more high flowing than the previous model, owing to lesser restriction?

I for one will easily trade of 5 micron loss in filteration for better flowing filter.

I think filter companies should also specify the maximum flow rate and maximum filteration efficiency. I mean if the filtering media is 99 % efficient at 25 microns with flow rate of lets say 60 liters/minute compared to filtering media with 99 % efficiency at 30 microns with flow rate of lets say 80 liters/minute.

Here we go with the flow rate thing again. People, especially newbies, please learn about "flow" through oil filters before you post here.

Originally Posted by cronk

If it can last the 20k miles it's advertised for, why does it matter if it's full or semi synthetic?
I've ran a couple the full 30k or close so I know it can.

Originally Posted by Phil14Gill
Also the thing to consider here is this 25 micron to 30 microns switch may also mean, new filter is more high flowing than the previous model, owing to lesser restriction?

I for one will easily trade of 5 micron loss in filteration for better flowing filter.

Efficency and flow resistance aren't necessarily directly associated with each other, especially with full synthetic media which can have both high efficiency and low delta-p flow resistance.

There is no such thing as "flow over filtration" on an engine with a positive displacement oil pump. An oiling system isn't like the water system in your house.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back