Why You Should Change Your Own Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
35.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Who here besides me thinks that changing oil is fun and looks forward to oil change time?

The only thing I don't like about it is driving up and down the Rhino ramps about a dozen times until I get the tires centered on the ramps. There's gotta be an easier way.

Well, maybe lowly di yourselfers mess things up, but I'm quite confident from reading these threads that the people here are infallible. Just ask them.

Who here besides me thinks that changing oil is fun and looks forward to oil change time?

Yep. Seeing that dirty oil come out and pouring in the new clean oil really satisfies my OCD.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Well, maybe lowly di yourselfers mess things up, but I'm quite confident from reading these threads that the people here are infallible. Just ask them.

smile.gif
crazy.gif
Good one!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

The only thing I don't like about it is driving up and down the Rhino ramps about a dozen times until I get the tires centered on the ramps. There's gotta be an easier way.

Agreed, that was not fun. As soon as I was getting close to the flat part I let off the gas and the car rolled back down the ramps. I think the second time I got the car up ok but I just stopped it in a nick of time. The ramps made a noise like they moved and were ready to tip forward. No thanks.

Though I live out in the sticks, I have a trusted NAPA garage only 2 miles from my house. I make an appointment...drop it off the night before...and when it's done the next day they call me. I could walk there if I wanted to (and have), but if I need a ride they will come and get me. A basic LOF was $26.95 the last time I had it done 11/2016. Easy Peasy.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
As soon as I was getting close to the flat part I let off the gas and the car rolled back down the ramps.

Haha I HATE when that happens!

My reasons: save money, save a stripped oil plug, no overtightened filter,I can use better products and no gibroni pumping grease into my oil pan. Don't laugh, I was told by someone he did that a couple times to rude customers. One of the finer pleasures in life is dirt under the fingernails.

Just did the Ranger. Five quarts of TropArctic and a QS oil filter.
Need to use the oil stash and clear room on the shelf.

Agreed, that was not fun. As soon as I was getting close to the flat part I let off the gas and the car rolled back down the ramps. I think the second time I got the car up ok but I just stopped it in a nick of time. The ramps made a noise like they moved and were ready to tip forward. No thanks.

I either two foot it or as soon as I feel it go over the brink I apply the brakes. It's really hard to flip them over, they will push though. You'd really have to try to drive off them.

I line them up using the outer edge of the tire as a guide and back up to make sure they are straight.

I'm getting the material together to start spring maintenance. Just waiting for garage to warm up. Us old *@#^$ like it warm. I wear zip- up sweatshirts year round as my wife likes it cool. AC at 72F just freezes me all summer and have to spend time in garage warming up. When my mother in law was in a local nursing home, I wondered why they didn't have AC in some places and the residents mostly all wore sweaters. About seven years ago I finally caught on. That thing called entropy slips up on us before we know it.

Originally Posted By: PolarisX

I either two foot it or as soon as I feel it go over the brink I apply the brakes. It's really hard to flip them over, they will push though. You'd really have to try to drive off them.

I line them up using the outer edge of the tire as a guide and back up to make sure they are straight.

Good stuff guys, first time going up on ramps. Kind of surprised as I'm going up and all I see is the garage ceiling. Kind of threw me off a little bit I guess.
smile.gif

My dad has been going to the local Valvoline quick change for a while, and swears by them.

I'm planning on buying his 2010 Lincoln MKZ from him in a few months, so when the last oil change came due I insisted on doing it for him. I had a bit of an up and down journey doing that
smile.gif

First of all, the big plastic cover I had to pull off to get to the filter made me think that having someone change it wasn't such a bad idea.

The further I got into it, though, the more I changed my mind. My 18" breaker wouldn't budge the drain plug-I ended up using an electric impact to get it loose.

I then went on to the filter, which is in an awkward position that makes getting to it with traditional style filter wrenches a bit difficult. I'll probably invest in one of the cap-type sockets when the car is mine. In any case, I finally got a solid grip on it, but all I managed to do was bend up the filter casing(not sure I've ever done that). I fought and fought with it, then finally resorted to the "hammer a screwdriver the can" trick. The filter was overall very cheap feeling-I should have dissected it but didn't.

I haven't taken my car in for an oil change in years, but when I did I generally used the Ford dealer and I never had trouble with stuff being too tight. After wrestling with the filter and drain plug on my dad's car, I'm even more convinced that I don't want a quick change place changing my oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back