CVT Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Wrong wrong wrong... This while Magnuson moss act stuff is garbage. Go ahead. Any company can say their CVT fluid is "compatible or meets" the original manufacturer specs. Doesn't mean it truly does in the real world. And if your CVT bites the dust do YOU think that Castrol or Valvoline aka Ashland will pay 6k for your new CVT???? Good luck. They won't. Let's get cheaper CVT fluid to save $50 and if it blows up in a $6,000 transmission then ok I'll take the gamble. Ohh and this magical power of this act that everyone in the interwebs quotes will save me...... Might I urgently suggest this.... Look up this supposed "Saviour" act. Read it for yourself. Slowly and deliberately. See if there are loop holes that could leave YOU high and dry.

Except it's a $12,000 car brand new... I doubt the tranny is half the cost of the car. I have used amsoil without a problem I'm just looking for something cheaper. All my car maintenance has gotten cheaper since my son was born. Went from Amsoil and PUP to QSUD and Magnatec. Just because I'm going cheaper doesn't mean I'm causing damage.

Magnatec will do you great in that engine.
I have two Mitsus that I use it in all the time and I actually prefer it.
I will be asking my local dealer today-( shop guys) on the CVT oil......

Originally Posted By: Mathew_Boss
Wrong wrong wrong... This while Magnuson moss act stuff is garbage. Go ahead. Any company can say their CVT fluid is "compatible or meets" the original manufacturer specs. Doesn't mean it truly does in the real world. And if your CVT bites the dust do YOU think that Castrol or Valvoline aka Ashland will pay 6k for your new CVT???? Good luck. They won't. Let's get cheaper CVT fluid to save $50 and if it blows up in a $6,000 transmission then ok I'll take the gamble. Ohh and this magical power of this act that everyone in the interwebs quotes will save me...... Might I urgently suggest this.... Look up this supposed "Saviour" act. Read it for yourself. Slowly and deliberately. See if there are loop holes that could leave YOU high and dry.

Except it's a $12,000 car brand new... I doubt the tranny is half the cost of the car. I have used amsoil without a problem I'm just looking for something cheaper. All my car maintenance has gotten cheaper since my son was born. Went from Amsoil and PUP to QSUD and Magnatec. Just because I'm going cheaper doesn't mean I'm causing damage.

Wrong wrong wrong... This while Magnuson moss act stuff is garbage. Go ahead. Any company can say their CVT fluid is "compatible or meets" the original manufacturer specs. Doesn't mean it truly does in the real world. And if your CVT bites the dust do YOU think that Castrol or Valvoline aka Ashland will pay 6k for your new CVT???? Good luck. They won't....

On the same token, you think the corporations that own names like Castrol, Valvoline, etc. are going to open themselves up to the liabilities associated with stating their product will work with these CVTs, when they don't? Not not not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Another tidbit from 2010....

And that basically says, "don't use regular Step-Shift ATF in a CVT" and that is correct.

CVT and Step-Shift AT fluids have different additive packages.

It doesn't say you cannot use a other CVT fluids whose labeling says they cover this transmission.

Ask Mitsu if they will supply their pretty fluid free of charge?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

And that basically says, "don't use regular Step-Shift ATF in a CVT" and that is correct.

It doesn't say you cannot use a other CVT fluids whose labeling says they cover this transmission.

That has been rehashed here already. Didn't they say there was no known equivalent???

That has been rehashed here already. Didn't they say there was no known equivalent???

So what,
13.gif
the bulletin was published in 2010, 7 years ago. There are CVT equivalents today.

Last edited:
At the Mitsubishi dealership, late model cars under warranty get Dia Queen, older cars out of warranty get some sort of CVT oil, usually Penrite or Castrol.

So why are you arguing seven years later? lol

So what,
13.gif
the bulletin was published in 2010, 7 years ago. There are CVT equivalents today.

I got the same info from the guys in the shop yesterday
They only use Mitsu CVT Fluid in all cars they service.
They suggested I do the same and said just don't buy it here........ too many $$$$$$$

Originally Posted By: Silk
At the Mitsubishi dealership, late model cars under warranty get Dia Queen, older cars out of warranty get some sort of CVT oil, usually Penrite or Castrol.

And that [bulletin] basically says, "don't use regular Step-Shift ATF in a CVT" and that is correct.

To educate - re-educate. Because the same old questions arise from time to time with people thinking that all ATF fluids are equivalent. They are not.

So if you are not in that category don't worry about it.
lol.gif

Update: I put the Valvoline CVT fluid in it yesterday. It really helped out the Clutch and MPG went up (I think the old CVT fluid got toasted because the coolant line that goes to the CVT to cool it started leaking pretty severely, it was fixed under warranty but I think it wore out the oil faster with likely higher temps) I flushed it with some leftover Amsoil CVT fluid to get more out then added the Valvoline. I have been very happy with it so far.

Update: I put the Valvoline CVT fluid in it yesterday. It really helped out the Clutch and MPG went up (I think the old CVT fluid got toasted because the coolant line that goes to the CVT to cool it started leaking pretty severely, it was fixed under warranty but I think it wore out the oil faster with likely higher temps) I flushed it with some leftover Amsoil CVT fluid to get more out then added the Valvoline. I have been very happy with it so far.

How much did you actually use to fill it?? Thanks!

I'm just yanking your chain. lol

And that [bulletin] basically says, "don't use regular Step-Shift ATF in a CVT" and that is correct.

To educate - re-educate. Because the same old questions arise from time to time with people thinking that all ATF fluids are equivalent. They are not.

So if you are not in that category don't worry about it.
lol.gif

How much did you actually use to fill it?? Thanks!

I used .5 quarts to flush with the drain plugs out and I put the plug back in and put 2.5 quarts in it. It doesn't hold a lot. Be careful not to overfill if you over fill it will make it bubbly on the dip stick which will make it overheat, too low and it will make it overeheat. For the Mirage they recomend driving it 30min to get it to full operating temperature then checking it on the H part of the dip stick.

Well I hope your cheaper solution works good for and that there is zero issues at all. I don't want anything bad to happen to your CVT. I genuinely hope that it does great. I just don't play with this type of circumstance.
And to the cost.... Well on my car with a brand new CVT and labor it is at minimum $5k and some places it's could be near 6k dollars. Again, something that is not worth playing around with in my strong belief. But, hey it is you deal and not mine.

And to anyone who claims why would company x claim it meets something when it doesn't.... Look at other cases of that exact action being done. It does happen. Everyday. Once again... If Ashland was the OEM fluid manufactor for my Nissan then I would not hesitate to run their CVT fluid in my car. But if they are not then I would not take that chance. These newer JATCO CVTs are not doing so hot anyhow so why would anyone take a chance of playing cheap with the fluid that goes in them? Not worth it at the end of the day.

Last edited:
I used .5 quarts to flush with the drain plugs out and I put the plug back in and put 2.5 quarts in it. It doesn't hold a lot. Be careful not to overfill if you over fill it will make it bubbly on the dip stick which will make it overheat, too low and it will make it overeheat. For the Mirage they recomend driving it 30min to get it to full operating temperature then checking it on the H part of the dip stick.

Is that all you're going to do? You put in 2.5 quarts and your capacity is ~7.5 (from what I was able to find) so you still have 66% of the old OEM fluid in there. I did four drain and fills with a lot driving in between when I switched Valvoline.

And to anyone who claims why would company x claim it meets something when it doesn't.... Look at other cases of that exact action being done. It does happen. Everyday. Once again... If Ashland was the OEM fluid manufactor for my Nissan then I would not hesitate to run their CVT fluid in my car. But if they are not then I would not take that chance. These newer JATCO CVTs are not doing so hot anyhow so why would anyone take a chance of playing cheap with the fluid that goes in them? Not worth it at the end of the day.

Many times the supplier doesn't want to spend the money to get the blessing of the manufacturer and become an approved fluid. It's an expensive process, and the number of DIYers that would use their product are far and few. So they're content to say that it meets the requirements.

I agree with you that few and far between diyers would buy and use a CVT fluid that they make. That is a very good point.

I genuinely hope that whoever runs a different CVT fluid that they have zero problems at all. I don't wish bad things on other people. That would be just trifling. If it works out good then I will be very happy for them. I just wouldn't do it myself.

Well "meets" is no where near the same as "approved" or "certified". Why take a chance with something that only states it "meets" requirements on a very expensive transmission? Approved or certified means the fluid actually went through the real necessary testing to make sure it would perform as well as the OEM fluid. Yes it may be expensive for the manufacturer to go through the testing process. But it is misleading in saying it "meets" some standard when that holds no real world value. Trust me if your CVT blows up Ashland will not cover the expense of putting a new CVT in your vehicle. They will state it said on the container that their product only "meets" the requirement. And that it was on you for trying their product as it was not "certified" or "approved" for that particular CVT transmission. It is the "get of payment" statement that clears them of any liability.

Last edited:
As I have stated before, one has a choice.

No one is forced to purchase a product that claims 'coverage' verses one that has been licensed by the OEM.

If you are not comfortable with an aftermarket product, then by all means one has the "choice" to purchase from the OEM's dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back