What happened to Goodyear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work for an independent Goodyear dealer and here is the scoop. Dunlop tires are going away. Kelly tires are the entry level brand. Goodyear is closing a lot of the corporate stores and selling them to people who want to be part of the Goodyear service network. We still have the triple tread comfort tread touring assurance all season and eagle sport tires. They are overhauling the truck tires. Gone are the wrangler ats and sra. Replaced by the fortitude ht and Goodyear trail runner. And duratracs are still around.

Originally Posted By: A1O
I work for an independent Goodyear dealer and here is the scoop. Dunlop tires are going away. Kelly tires are the entry level brand. Goodyear is closing a lot of the corporate stores and selling them to people who want to be part of the Goodyear service network. We still have the triple tread comfort tread touring assurance all season and eagle sport tires. They are overhauling the truck tires. Gone are the wrangler ats and sra. Replaced by the fortitude ht and Goodyear trail runner. And duratracs are still around.

Thanks
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
All or most of their tires seem to be discontinued, particularly the popular passenger all season lines like the Assurance Comforted and TripleTred and the Fuel Max..

The Assurance TripleTred is being replaced by the Assurance WeatherReady:

Quote:
The Assurance WeatherReady is Goodyear’s best traction tire ever, said Andy Traicoff, vice president of consumer sales and customer development for the U.S. and Canada. It is superior to the tire it will eventually replace, the Assurance TripleTred, in wet cornering; snow and ice acceleration and deceleration; snow and ice braking (“a 15% improvement on ice”); and noise reduction, both new and worn. It maintained its dry traction, cornering and stopping performance versus the TripleTred, said David Reese, director of product marketing. It also has the three-peak mountain snowflake symbol stamped on its sidewall.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/...that-philosophy

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
All or most of their tires seem to be discontinued, particularly the popular passenger all season lines like the Assurance Comforted and TripleTred and the Fuel Max..

The Assurance TripleTred is being replaced by the Assurance WeatherReady:

Quote:
The Assurance WeatherReady is Goodyear’s best traction tire ever, said Andy Traicoff, vice president of consumer sales and customer development for the U.S. and Canada. It is superior to the tire it will eventually replace, the Assurance TripleTred, in wet cornering; snow and ice acceleration and deceleration; snow and ice braking (“a 15% improvement on ice”); and noise reduction, both new and worn. It maintained its dry traction, cornering and stopping performance versus the TripleTred, said David Reese, director of product marketing. It also has the three-peak mountain snowflake symbol stamped on its sidewall.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/...that-philosophy

Awesome info, thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

Nice to see an American-made "all weather" tire
34.gif

(the Toyo Celsius is only US-made for the CUV sizes; the regular car sizes are made in Malaysia)

This Goodyear WeatherReady will be by far the most popular all-weather tire ever. Up until it comes out, the only such tires sold here are from relatively obscure brands that are either hard to find and/or not very popular in the US (Toyo, Nokian, Vredestein) (NOTE: Hankook and Kumho's all-weathers are only sold in Canada, not the US). Not to mention Goodyear will be by far the largest tire company that has one of these available.

The WeatherReady probably deserves its own OP on here
smile.gif

The size range is a tad more limited than what the TripleTred offered, though. Nevertheless, I'm glad the WeatherReady is not directional like its predecessor!)

weather-ready.jpg

I never buy anything but Goodyear. Goodyear is only American tire company remaining, since Cooper was purchased by an Indian company. At one time or another, I've owned most big brand of tires. Don't know what's going on with them, if they are cancelling certain lines, but I've never had another tire that was better than Goodyear. I've always liked everything about Goodyear!!

so sad, you look at all thee companies selling off part or a whole to foreign companies, and they say it'll be in the best interest of the share holders, well about about the best interest of the American people and the USA? nothing is made here anymore. this country has been outsourced, f'ing sad, all for share holders. sure don't know how we can survive as a nation heading in the direction we are.

That means the only Dunlops that will make it stateside is what arrives on a car from Japan/England/Germany - seeing how Toyota/Honda/Subaru and BMW/Jaguar install them in some models?

Never had issues with any Goodyear tires - but do not buy Walmart versions ...
(They might be fine - I just don't get those product lines) ...

Originally Posted By: Big_3_Only
Goodyear is only American tire company remaining, since Cooper was purchased by an Indian company.

NOT true! The Apollo takeover did not go through. The Indian company did not end up purchasing Cooper
smile.gif

link to story

Originally Posted By: A1O
I work for an independent Goodyear dealer and here is the scoop. Dunlop tires are going away.

Originally Posted By: nthach
That means the only Dunlops that will make it stateside is what arrives on a car from Japan/England/Germany - seeing how Toyota/Honda/Subaru and BMW/Jaguar install them in some models?

This makes me sad, since I love Dunlop tires.

This makes me sad, since I love Dunlop tires.

It seemed like Goodyear/Sumitomo neglected Dunlop - I remember as a kid growing up GT Qualifiers and Radial Rovers were considered a luxury good. I almost threw on a set of D60A2s on my parent's old Benz. Now, the only Dunlops I see besides on motorbikes are OEM tires on Lexus and Toyota.

Originally Posted By: nthach
It seemed like Goodyear/Sumitomo neglected Dunlop - I remember as a kid growing up GT Qualifiers and Radial Rovers were considered a luxury good. I almost threw on a set of D60A2s on my parent's old Benz. Now, the only Dunlops I see besides on motorbikes are OEM tires on Lexus and Toyota.

I had a set of SP Sport Signatures not too long ago, and they were awesome! They replaced it with teh Signature HP, which isn't available in my size, which is why I don't have them on my car now.

And Dunlop had some new tires recently! The Signature HP, Sport Maxx RT, Direzza DZ102, and they're also releasing a new Winter Maxx 02 this year.

No mention of all the sidewall cracks?

My only personal experience with Michelins is with the metric TRX tires (Rim size 365) from the 80's:

1151489604175_P1230455_1_.jpg

They were expensive (meaning ~$100 each in the 80's) and wore out quickly. They did not grip well on wet roads.

Originally Posted By: Killer223
so sad, you look at all thee companies selling off part or a whole to foreign companies, and they say it'll be in the best interest of the share holders, well about about the best interest of the American people and the USA? nothing is made here anymore. this country has been outsourced, f'ing sad, all for share holders. sure don't know how we can survive as a nation heading in the direction we are.

The real question is: how these companies came into this position.
By the way, manufacturing in the U.S. is 27% up since 1988. However, robots are doing jobs or, as this article points out, refugees.
As someone who immigrated to this country I find it sad that person in this article is saying how they just need an opportunity. I would say: you are born here, which is biggest opportunity and when you fail drug test then it is other peoples fault:
Refugees filling job gap

Been a while but I bought a few Dunlop AT types with no issues - even an aggressive mud tire that did well in the goo ...

Tire Rack's Goodyear page is missing a lot of the popular passenger all season tires. The Assurance All Season (which recently replaced the Integrity), the Comfortred Touring (a ground touring all-season), the Fuel Max (a passenger all-season), and the Eagle Sport A/S (their high performance all-season).

The Assurance Comfortred (NOT the same thing as the Comfortred Touring) is only available in one size, and the Eage F1 Asymmetric All Season )an ultra high performance AS) is only available in a couple sizes.

DTD's availability is slightly better, but still a lot slimmer selection than they used to offer.

UPDATE: the tires in question are back in stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back