No hernia found! :) Doc referred me to a surgeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had both an ultrasound and ct scan done and they saw an area in the ultrasound they were suspicious of and suggested a CT scan. Well I got it back and they were like well miraculously everything here is normal, no hernia of any kind after a pelvic CT yet the doc is still convinced I have a hernia. (He doesn't know I went and got the radiology reports from the diagnostic place) and so now he's recommended me to a surgeon. Does that mean he's thrown in the towel with me? He had me come in to tell me what was wrong and he was like the only way to fix this is surgery. Today I actually wrote down in one paragraph explaining exactly where my pain is and when it occurs. Lately though I've been having trouble urinating and I think that's exactly the muscle that's acting up. I'm beginning to think it's from being on my feet too long, too much bending done, fast paced walking. The area of pain has actually changed now that I quit bending down so much. Unfortunately the main issue here I think is the doc didn't really listen to my concerns from the beginning and he was like well if this hernia doesn't cause any problems we can take the wait and see approach I said fine and that's kind of why this has dragged out for a while, but I think there is something else wrong here, honestly. I actually think it's a sports hernia which actually isn't a hernia, just a pulled muscle.

Last edited by a moderator:
In short it's basically my pelvic floor muscles, they randomly tighten up on me without me doing so, which gets a bit painful after a while.

Lots of nerves from the back running down through the hip and pelvic area that can give all types of symptoms. I've had several hernias repaired in my past and I possibly have another one brewing. My PCP "verified" on my last exam. But since then those tiny symptoms have subsided. Whatever symptoms I currently have, they are totally unlike what I experienced on my 1993 and 2008 hernias where there was no doubt what was going on...and considerable pain and discomfort with the same movements.

I'd also want to rule out prostrate issues such as infection, enlargement and what have you that could cause symptoms and pains in the pelvic area. My hernias never caused any urination problems. Pelvic muscles, periformis, etc can also be related to sciatica/back issues. Lots of things can cause pain in the pelvic area other than a hernia. As your hips and butt muscles get tighter or stressed, the nerves can get squeezed and cause pain.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Lots of nerves from the back running down through the hip and pelvic area that can give all types of symptoms. I've had several hernias repaired in my past and I possibly have another one brewing. My PCP "verified" on my last exam. But since then those tiny symptoms have subsided. Whatever symptoms I currently have, they are totally unlike what I experienced on my 1993 and 2008 hernias where there was no doubt what was going on...and considerable pain and discomfort with the same movements.

I'd also want to rule out prostrate issues such as infection, enlargement and what have you that could cause symptoms and pains in the pelvic area. My hernias never caused any urination problems.

I see. My urine has been pretty dark lately, (actually for quite some time) like a yellowish orange and you can't hardly see through it when it's in the toilet. Even when I drink lots of fluids it clears up a bit, but still seems to have an unusual cloudy color to it. The muscle spasm when urinating just started a few days ago.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

I'd also want to rule out prostrate issues such as infection, enlargement and what have you that could cause symptoms and pains in the pelvic area. My hernias never caused any urination problems.

I see. My urine has been pretty dark lately, (actually for quite some time) like a yellowish orange and you can't hardly see through it when it's in the toilet. Even when I drink lots of fluids it clears up a bit, but still seems to have an unusual cloudy color to it. The muscle spasm when urinating just started a few days ago.

Muscle spasms of bladder/ureter are very serious and could be signs of something more ominous like cauda equina syndrome. You're doc should be panicking over this. I'd see a neurologist before you're wearing a diaper for rest of your life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KingCake

I think it's the kegal muscle that's tightening up/spasming.

Muscle spasms of bladder/ureter are very serious and could be signs of something more ominous like cauda equina syndrome. You're doc should be panicking over this. I'd see a neurologist before you're wearing a diaper for rest of your life.

Take the CT results to the surgeon when you go. Could be a pulled muscle like you said. I'm not a doctor of course but am curious how long it's been like this, and if it's recent, if you did any extraordinary activities lately.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Take the CT results to the surgeon when you go. Could be a pulled muscle like you said. I'm not a doctor of course but am curious how long it's been like this, and if it's recent, if you did any extraordinary activities lately.

It's been a while. I think it started off around thanksgiving/mid December? Although now the pulled muscle feeling is recurring more regularly. Too much bending over is how I think this began.

It's been a while. I think it started off around thanksgiving/mid December? Although now the pulled muscle feeling is recurring more regularly. Too much bending over is how I think this began.

Pulled muscles do not cause this. Tell the surgeon you have bladder involvement 1st thing when you walk in the door and watch their face change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KingCake

Pulled muscles do not cause this. Tell the surgeon you have bladder involvement 1st thing when you walk in the door and watch their face change.

Well why did it take so long for the bladder issue to arise? I just noticed this yesterday.

Get another opinion before seeing the surgeon. I would see a urologist, they should be able to better understand this or at least point you in the right direction. Your GP doesn't sound like a very good doctor. Above all don't let this continue. Your symptoms are serious and have gone on a long time. You need to get it resolved, soon and correctly.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
Get another opinion before seeing the surgeon. I would see a urologist, they should be able to better understand this or at least point you in the right direction. Your GP doesn't sound like a very good doctor. Above all don't let this continue. Your symptoms are serious and have gone on a long time. You need to get it resolved, soon and correctly.

Whole-heartedly agree. As others have expressed, I'm no doctor either. But as I wrote in a thread about a month ago, I waited way too long to get diagnosed for a problem that changed my life. Do you check your PSA levels annually with a simple blood test? If so, are your PSA levels low, or at least constant. Rising PSA levels could indicate problems with your prostate. Just a FYI, prostate cancer is the third largest cause of death in men, behind only heart disease and lung disease. Would a CT scan detect problem with a prostate? I ask because I really don't know. Please seek a second opinion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlayman

He didn't listen to my concerns from the beginning. He just did a physical and said I think you have a hernia, that's what's causing the pressure, so all this time I thought it was a small hernia or something. The other problem is I have to wait 30 days to switch doctors.

Of course the surgeon wants to fix your hernia. That's his thing. Have you had your prostate checked? Maybe it's enlarged and blocking the urethra. And maybe your problem is what you stated above. I believe Flowmax or a generic med like cardura or newer meds can help. BE SURE to ask urologist what type of cystoscope he uses. Some of the old f*#@ types probably still use their rigid cystoscopes which they purchase when they started practicing. If that is the case, RUN like the wind Johnny. Don't believe a urologist who tells you the rigid instruments are not very painful. They are doing the inserting and probably never had one used on them. You have been warned motor man. Flexible cystoscopes ONLY.
cry.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back