New Glock 42

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Finally made the decision to sell my 9 mm Shield and Ruger LP9-S and Buy the 42. I still have my Ruger LPC but no longer carry it. I almost always pocket carry and the 43 was just a bit to much. The 42 (at 15.8 ounces loaded) is great. Also its easier to draw from the pocket that the 43.
I really only ever shoot tactical any more. Having all glocks only makes sense. At this point the G26 is the bedroom gun and the other 2 are carry guns.

The Shield was just to big to pock carry and the LP9-S is just not a good tactical firearm period bc of the trigger and reliability...Just MHO

Good decision. I have a 43 and it seems to be the perfect compromise in all manners. I love the trigger feel and reset on it as well.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Good decision. I have a 43 and it seems to be the perfect compromise in all manners. I love the trigger feel and reset on it as well.

Yea-that is soooo important. The shield was good in that respect and easy to transition from a glock. The LP9...um..no.

I don't get the craving for a single stack in a Glock. One of the primary advantages of the Glock design is that it's light weight allows for more capacity on board. Single stack is the prime drawback with steel guns which would simply be too heavy with a larger cap magazine. A Glock with only 6-7 on board? Not when I can get caliber and capacity in a compact design like the 23. 14 rounds of devastating .40 S&W, now there's a good feeling when you leave the house.

I've shot both the 42 and 43. I liked them both and since I've got seven Glocks, I would have to say you made a good choice...

All fine weapons, just make sure they have the API seal on them..
48.gif

Have you tried the VP9, or PPQ M2? I really enjoy them.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
I don't get the craving for a single stack in a Glock. ... now there's a good feeling when you leave the house.

I am not implying you have not taken self defense training from a competent instructor. But there are reasons why someone who is very competent in this area (not me) may feel more than competent with 6 rounds:

1. The overwhelming percentage of those who carry are not competent of getting into a situation where more than 2 rounds or so are required. In fact most are incompetent to carry period IMHO. You/Me are morally and legally responsible for each and every round that leaves the muzzle. Its hard to dream up a situation where more than 2 rounds are needed or desired in a defense situation.

2. Your first choice is to get out of Dodge. That should always be your primary goal....IF

3. If you are incapacitated your firearm may be used against "others" that means the more the capacity the more "others" may be injured.

4. My routine is to go to a coffee shop each morning. I have certainly thought of what I would do "in the event". I talked to my instructor and of course he advises "Get Out of Dodge". I have told him though that the Baristas there are my friends. In the event that someone shot one of them. I hope I would have the courage to rush that person and get off a 100% can't miss shot which means that I might not survive....dont want extra rounds in there.

5. After each round you need to "check your work" through the sight, feel the trigger reset and decide if a second or shot is needed. Only a very very competent person can actually scan multiple targets and deliver a required round (s). I realize I am talking to the choir" for folks who are actually "trained" in this area. (Again I am not proficient to accomplish this)...very few are.

6. Light is important..to me. I weigh 142 pounds and carrying 6+1 is better than carrying nothing.

"I" have a "good feeling" when I leave the house. I know that I have the training to do the things I am capable of doing with 6 rounds and a lighter firearm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
I've shot both the 42 and 43. I liked them both and since I've got seven Glocks, I would have to say you made a good choice...

Thanks..coming from you that's a compliment. I have put many thousands of rounds through the 43. I have no doubt that the 42 will do just fine.

Originally Posted By: Al
I don't get the craving for a single stack in a Glock. ... now there's a good feeling when you leave the house.

I am not implying you have not taken self defense training from a competent instructor. But there are reasons why someone who is very competent in this area (not me) may feel more than competent with 6 rounds:

1. The overwhelming percentage of those who carry are not competent of getting into a situation where more than 2 rounds or so are required. In fact most are incompetent to carry period IMHO. You/Me are morally and legally responsible for each and every round that leaves the muzzle. Its hard to dream up a situation where more than 2 rounds are needed or desired in a defense situation.

2. Your first choice is to get out of Dodge. That should always be your primary goal....IF

3. If you are incapacitated your firearm may be used against "others" that means the more the capacity the more "others" may be injured.

4. My routine is to go to a coffee shop each morning. I have certainly thought of what I would do "in the event". I talked to my instructor and of course he advises "Get Out of Dodge". I have told him though that the Baristas there are my friends. In the event that someone shot one of them. I hope I would have the courage to rush that person and get off a 100% can't miss shot which means that I might not survive....dont want extra rounds in there.

5. After each round you need to "check your work" through the sight, feel the trigger reset and decide if a second or shot is needed. Only a very very competent person can actually scan multiple targets and deliver a required round (s). I realize I am talking to the choir" for folks who are actually "trained" in this area. (Again I am not proficient to accomplish this)...very few are.

6. Light is important..to me. I weigh 142 pounds and carrying 6+1 is better than carrying nothing.

"I" have a "good feeling" when I leave the house. I know that I have the training to do the things I am capable of doing with 6 rounds and a lighter firearm.

I'm not knocking your choice, glocks are just fine, and if .380 works for you then so be it. Something to consider though is that many SD/FOF instructors teach to stop the threat as quickly as possible. Which would quite possibly require more than 2 rounds, especially if we are talking .380. One thing to consider as well, a lot of attacks entail multiple attackers now days. You're seeing fewer and fewer lone gunman so to speak. Just food for though. Either way the single stack glocks seem to work very well.

Single stack or double stack and extra ammo is not something I worried about in Florida back in the day. Back then my EDC was a mid 80's blued CZ75, I like the DA trigger, but the lower weight of a Glock 17 was much nicer. The CZ became the bedroom gun instead.

If you hit a mugger with more then 3 rounds, it's "excessive force", so ya can't empty a mag into 'em anyway, even if they're 'meanies'.

The attraction of the single stack Glocks is how THIN they are. Very slim. Very concealable.

I originally wrote you a point-by-point response but realized you're deeply committed to your position and won't change so I deleted it. I will just say that who ever is "training" you has done you a great disservice by sending you out into the world grossly overconfident and with minimalist caliber and capacity. For your own safety, I suggest that you keep an open mind and broaden your reading/training.

Last edited:
Good choice! I just received my new Glock 42 on Tuesday.

Still haven't shot it, but impressed by it's integrity. It's solid, in comparison to my LCP and my wife's P32 ACP. It even surpasses my daughter new LCP II.

My other daughter is getting my LCP. That's why I purchased another sub-compact 380. I had both daughters and my wife all pass their new CCW/CPL training this past week. All three have qualified for their conceal carry.

I have smaller hands and know that I am more confident/competent/capable with a firearm that fits my hands well. In my case, that is a single stack auto or a j frame revolver. Size matters. Bigger isn't always better.

I originally wrote you a point-by-point response but realized you're deeply committed to your position and won't change so I deleted it. I will just say that who ever is "training" you has done you a great disservice by sending you out into the world grossly overconfident and with minimalist caliber and capacity. For your own safety, I suggest that you keep an open mind and broaden your reading/training.

My trainer Teaches me how to shoot in combat situations. I determine how I will apply it..to each his own.

My trainer firmly believes there's no such thing as too much ammo. I've been in 2 situations in the past 2 years where I went condition red, both times my wife was with me and both times I backed us out. Both involved 2 actors. After the adrenaline wore off and the shakes were over I was glad I had the 19 and not the 43 and a spare mag. I had to have the 43, talked myself into it. Might as well sell it. I learned you can train for all sorts of scenarios but if you have a deal it will probably be something you never thought of.

Rule 1 is have a gun. Rule 2 is have enough gun.

Be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get the craving for a single stack in a Glock. One of the primary advantages of the Glock design is that it's light weight allows for more capacity on board. Single stack is the prime drawback with steel guns which would simply be too heavy with a larger cap magazine. A Glock with only 6-7 on board? Not when I can get caliber and capacity in a compact design like the 23. 14 rounds of devastating .40 S&W, now there's a good feeling when you leave the house.

I feel there's a big benefit to a single stack Glock for compatibility with the other Glock firearms. Similar grip angle, trigger, magazine release, slide release location and no manual safety, it makes it a little more convenient for others that have a Glocks in other calibers or other frame sizes to practice at the range or have in the night stand.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
My trainer firmly believes there's no such thing as too much ammo. I've been in 2 situations in the past 2 years where I went condition red, both times my wife was with me and both times I backed us out. Both involved 2 actors. After the adrenaline wore off and the shakes were over I was d4mn glad I had the 19 and not the 43 and a spare mag. I had to have the 43, talked myself into it. Might as well sell it. I learned you can train for all sorts of scenarios but if you have a SHTF deal it will probably be something you never thought of.

Rule 1 is have a gun. Rule 2 is have enough gun.

Be safe.

Most trainers are cops or former cops. They live, breathe, think and talk like cops.
We are not cops, nor (in most-all walks of life) do we need big guns and double-stack magazines for conceal carry.

We are not here to walk into a bank and attempt to stop two bank robbers. We mind our own business in the bank, unless they turn on us.

Just because you now have a conceal carry doesn't mean you are the guardian of the earth. Mind your own business unless your life is threatened. Banks are insured and can get their lost money back. Don;t try to do it for them.

Single stack with seven shots in 380 is all we (the general public with CCW/CPL) need. Want to carry a backup single stack mag?...... go for it. Want to carry a LCP across your ankle or in your pocket?..... go for it.

But if you feel you must walk the earth with a Clint Eastwood type gun, you've been around too many cops and they have your head in a dangerous situation. You're not trained for their types of situations.

That's why we carry Glock 42s. Because we let cops be cops and citizens be smart citizens and only draw that weapon when in physical danger..... not when a bank robbery occurs and we act stupid about saving that bank their two bags of loot headed out the door.

I love carrying 13-15 ounces of polymer gun and conceal it in my pocket. You can carry all the steel you want and all the ammo you want. But you will never tell me I'm wrong about what size gun and how many bullets I carry as a private citizen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back