Order "Fillers"

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys buy when you need to reach a certain minimum at AAP or any other parts store in order to use a promo code? I had 3 orders of misc stuff and finding items to reach the minimum was rather difficult.

Oil filters (Mann+Hummel or Extra Guards. I am bummed they dropped the Ultra and won't use Purolator.)
Bulbs
Threadlocker
Random 3/8" or 1/2" sockets ~$5
$1.50 Permatex packets
$4 PCV BWD brand valve
Cotter pins (Anywhere from $1.30-$2.50)

Can anyone think of anything else? With some stuff, one has to be careful because even with a heavy discount, Rock Auto is still cheaper. Not always the case, but it's something to look out for.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Buying more stuff you don't need in order to get a discount.
Marketing is alive and well.

You could spend $95 on 2 items or $63 on 3.

Common sense isn't so common is it Pops?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Buying more stuff you don't need in order to get a discount.
Marketing is alive and well.

You could spend $95 on 2 items or $63 on 3.

Common sense isn't so common is it Pops?

Beat me to it. Adding filler items LOWERS the final cost, or at minimum, gives you the filler items for free. But math is hard for some folks.

Some people also think if they get a raise they'll get put in a higher tax bracket and lose money.

I've bought a lot less stuff from AA in the last year than in the jubilee of years prior. It's "ok" if you need something right now, but the 30% code is a percent which doesn't need order stuffing (beyond the minimum maybe) and they don't have $20 off $50 too much anymore. Its almost as if swallowing up Carquest eliminated a competitor.
smirk.gif

For a bit there AA offered a tearolator for $9 that WM sold for $3.27... they were just hoping beyond hope you'd stuff an order with that!

I've turned up my mail ordering, RA, AZ, ebay.

Pop_Rivet is correct in that there IS a potential pitfall in the old "the more you buy, the more you save" come-on.

In the case of stuff we buy for our cars, filler products to reach certain minimums are often things we buy anyway so the math is pretty square and the value is real.

Hey, If your order doesn't "make it", don't buy it that way.

Ever wonder why AutoZone sells candy bars? Kira

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Some people also think if they get a raise they'll get put in a higher tax bracket and lose money.

I've bought a lot less stuff from AA in the last year than in the jubilee of years prior. It's "ok" if you need something right now, but the 30% code is a percent which doesn't need order stuffing (beyond the minimum maybe) and they don't have $20 off $50 too much anymore. Its almost as if swallowing up Carquest eliminated a competitor.
smirk.gif

For a bit there AA offered a tearolator for $9 that WM sold for $3.27... they were just hoping beyond hope you'd stuff an order with that!

I've turned up my mail ordering, RA, AZ, ebay.

Typically I use RA, but AAP was considerably cheaper even after tax with the stuff I bought. They were the same items brands too.

Like I said, you have to shop around.

Id order an item I know I'll definitely use in the near term. Dont want to lock my money up in inventory, but if the deal is good enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back