teflon tape for air fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi:
I just bought a Porter Cable pancake oil less compressor (haven't started it yet) and a HFT $14? 7-92363 62688 air hose accessory kit, which comes with teflon tape. The tape seems really [censored]. I haven't used tape for some years and don't remember it being so flymsy. Should I get a better brand at Lowes? or is there a liquid or paste that might be better? Using this to air tires, and similar. Thanks.

Most of the Teflon tape I've seen is pretty thin. Just wrap it 2 or 3 layers around the threads and it should be fine.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I threw out all my teflon tape and use liquid teflon.

same. switched to liquid teflon and never looked back. have never had one leak due to misapplication.

Can I ask what exactly do you use? I bought some stuff at Home Depot awhile back, T2 I think, thinking it was some sort of liquid teflon than dried once applied. This stuff never dried and I couldn't get my head around how it worked if it permanently remained a paste. My use was for harley primary drain and I didn't want any kind of teflon seeping in and getting on clutch disks.

Last edited:
I believe the teflon tape is not ment to seal the threads, it is ment to lubricate the tapered pipe threads so as to tighten them so they seal.

However I may be wrong, but way back when white lead was used it was the same principal was it not?

Try a better teflon tape.... like Blue Monster or Oatey Fastape or yellow gas tape. I like two use 2-3 wraps of that + liquid thread sealant (Hercules Megaloc). With the thinner stuff, just need some more wraps.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I believe the teflon tape is not ment to seal the threads, it is ment to lubricate the tapered pipe threads so as to tighten them so they seal.

However I may be wrong, but way back when white lead was used it was the same principal was it not?

You are wrong. Tape (and dope, including white lead) fills the gaps, thereby preventing a leak.

NPTF (National Pipe Thread Fuel aka Dryseal) will seal without tape or dope, but is not commonly used.

Just a related 2 cents on the topic.

A friend worked in a paper mill where all manner of repair, replacement, maintenance work was everyday occurrences.

He was told, and therefore repeated, that tape was used to lube threads. I wasn't sure about that.
Why use a thread tape when liquids are available unless spillage was the issue?

I always heard tape was for leak prevention.
I also heard the paste (I've seen white and pale blue) was for gas fittings so bits of tape couldn't break free and foul valves and meter hardware.

I never "knew" a correct answer. Kira

Teflon thread tape is just like any other product. You get what you pay for. Buy the bargain spool, and it will take a couple more wraps to fill to get a good sea. Buy name brand and fewer wraps do the trick.

Aviation Form A Gasket #3. I recently had a faucet with curtailed flow. Took aerator off and it was full of teflon tape. Plumber evidently didn't know how to use the product.

Originally Posted By: MoreCowbellAz

Can I ask what exactly do you use? I bought some stuff at Home Depot awhile back, T2 I think, thinking it was some sort of liquid teflon than dried once applied. This stuff never dried and I couldn't get my head around how it worked if it permanently remained a paste. My use was for harley primary drain and I didn't want any kind of teflon seeping in and getting on clutch disks.

It's an anaerobic sealer. Only the part around the threads in contact with each other hardens. Even then it never 100% cures. But any excess exposed to air will stay liquid.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What does liquid teflon tape look like ? I mean the container it comes in, brand name, etc.

I use the permatex stuff.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Originally Posted By: MoreCowbellAz

It's an anaerobic sealer. Only the part around the threads in contact with each other hardens. Even then it never 100% cures. But any excess exposed to air will stay liquid.
I am a pipe fitter, anaerobic dope makes life unnecessarily tougher for me lol. I teflon tape and teflon dope everything.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
I use the permatex stuff.

I've seen that stuff before, but I didn't know it was considered liquid teflon.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back