Land Rover 300TDi Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Father has a Land Rover Defender 300TDi. It mainly does short town trips although I'll be insured on it soon so planning on using it for longer journeys and do some maintenance on it. I've been using bulk bought 10w40 Chevron Supreme for it and changing it every 6 months (it does about 2000miles a year but it will be going up).

I'm unsure if this engine was ever available in America? It's a 2.5 litre turbocharged pushrod 4cylinder diesel engine.

It doesn't use oil but there is a few weeps from seals. Worth getting an oil with additives for this?

Any suggestions on what oil to use? Or at least what sort of specification to look at as we don't get such a wide range of oils in the UK.

Sam.

Should run a HDEO. Chevron Supreme is a very good oil, but not quite the add pak for your diesel.

You could run 5W-40 up to 15W-40 in that. It's a modified industrial engine. Nothing out of the ordinary, but pretty rugged
smile.gif

There are some High Mileage (HM) HDEO oils that might help with the weeps and seeps
smile.gif

Mate, as said above a CI-4/CI-4+ oil, or an oil that meets several of the following, ACEA E4/E6/E7/E9
These are HD diesel oil specs, not petrol biased, dual rated oils.

Ran one for fifteen years in a Defender, keep the rocker clearances in spec, in normal circumstances best every 10,000km, don't let them go past 20,000km and check the lash caps when you do that, they are almost a service item.

rick, are they the ones with centrifuges, and that are reputed to "make" oil with drippy injectors ?

No, that's the TD5 5 cylinder engine which came after after and used unit injectors.

O rings can leak on those, early ones ('99-'01) could also have the fuel rail crack in the head and leak fuel too.
Later EU3 engines mostly fixed this, and you can get an aftermarket Spanish made head that has a thicker casting that eliminates the cracking problem altogether.
One saving grace is that most are getting upwards of 500,000km out of injector assemblies.

Isuzu's 3 litre unit injector engine in the Jackeroo had similar issues with O rings.

For those that don't know, the Land Rover TD5 oil filtration is possibly the best system ever fitted to a small diesel.
They use the same (albeit smaller) Mann-Hummel centrifuge by-pass filter plus full flow filter system that Doug Hillary used to talk about fitting to the DD60 Series he used to run in his fleet.

The old 300Tdi mechanically injected 4 cylinder is what's also used in the UK Army Land Rover Wolf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back