How Do You Handle Tailgaters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I generally do not care for tailgaters in right lane unless they are dangerously close. Usually that will happen in traffic since when there is no heavy traffic I do not have that issue. But in traffic, there is always an idiot who thinks you will move for him/her (it is usually him). I just tap brakes a bit, or deploy windshield fluid (love when they tailgate with convertible).
However, for people driving in left lane (not passing, but driving) i do not have a bit regard how they will feel when I deploy HID long beams from SUV, or I tailgate. Or overtake on right (which I hate to do and it is violation on par with felony in countries which much better laws) and then cut in front. Not feeling guilt at all. Those morons who should have their DL revoked for life and allowed to ride a bicycle not a car.

I move over,let them pass,then I move back over and follow behind them. They officially become my decoy
19.gif

KingCake is obviously trolling you guys. It's an "everyone else on the road is an idiot" thread; easy trolling grounds.
hooked.gif

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
KingCake is obviously trolling you guys. It's an "everyone else on the road is an idiot" thread; easy trolling grounds.
hooked.gif

I wouldn't be so sure… He changed his Location to "MAGA" since posting in this thread.
37.gif

Since this thread has mentioned left-lane dawdlers, there are in fact Keep-Right laws in pretty much every State. My home State for example has a law that if I am in the left lane of a multi-lane highway, I need to yield to any approaching traffic that is going faster than I am. Even if I'm speeding.

Keep Right Laws

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Since this thread has mentioned left-lane dawdlers, there are in fact Keep-Right laws in pretty much every State. My home State for example has a law that if I am in the left lane of a multi-lane highway, I need to yield to any approaching traffic that is going faster than I am. Even if I'm speeding.

Keep Right Laws

Yes there are laws. Except, it is not enforced properly. It is easier to write a ticket for driving 86 in 75. Sitting in the car, you clock someone, you stop them, you tell them how you are endangering everyone on the road. In the meantime someone with 4 bold tires passes buy driving within speed limit, in the left lane, being "good citizen."

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so harsh on RIGHT lane tailgaters in Canada. After all, Canada is a monarchy with UK queen as a head of the state. It may be confusing for some to remember which lane is for passing, as in UK it's the other way around.

I personally have never been tailgated in the right lane in US, and if I see an approaching vehicle while in the left lane I simply move over. It's both the law and a common courtesy.

But for the buffoons who think they should be enforcing something by not allowing faster moving vehicles through, I just want to say the following. A situation can escalate very quickly and it's irrational on your part to think you are dealing with someone who is rational or of a worse physical shape than you are. A person can pass you on the right and slam on the brakes right in front of you. A person can bump you in the rear on purpose. A person can come to a complete stop after passing you on the right, get out and break your window. Other time you may get out thinking you are tough (the law enforcer that you are) only to be embarrassed in front of your wife and the kids for the rest of your life. You may end up being dead. It so happens that I personally know of all the instances listed above. If you want to keep gambling, keep gambling.

To OP: I just maintain my speed and ignore. Most almost always go around to the left lane within a couple of minutes.

When people speed by me or tailgate, mentally I always give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe their spouse is in the hospital? Perhaps they have a career making/ending meeting to attend.

Other thoughts from posters:

+1 about people hanging out in the left lane. I can feel my blood pressure raise when a Prius is hyper milling in the left lane.

I wonder if they are teaching that the left lane is for passing only in American driving schools?

We are also responsible for educating our children, maybe some people aren't doing enough of that.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
hooked.gif

^ This.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Your feelings are irrelevant. It is not your job to enforce the law. I don't care if you are already doing 5 over or even 90mph. If you are in the left lane and are impeding someone's progress, MOVE OVER.

^^^This guy get's it!!!!!

I agree with this. There seem to be certain people who feel it is their right to enforce their opinions feelings and interpretations on everyone else. Usually old angry white men. Camping in the left lane impeding traffic flow is just dangerous and rude and is more deserving of a ticket than someone going 65 in a 55 zone. This type of behavior is what leads to road rage. I drive with the flow of traffic, stay in the proper lane and don't speed in residential areas. I rarely get tailgated. The only time it happens is if I'm dawdling along on a country road looking for fishing spots. In those cases I pull over and let others pass.

If im not on a highway, i just let off the gas pedal and slow way down, annoys the [censored] out of them every time.

I put the turn signal on and ease over to the curb and give the lady the one finger salute as she goes by. I don't think one in ten drivers in this city of 22,000 knows how to determine safe following distance.Seems their grill is always filling my rear window. I told a woman one time she was following me too close one time and she told me she had been driving for fifty years without an accident. Fifty years of driving experience or one year of driving experience fifty times?

I use a multi tiered approach. If someone is tail gating, I speed up by 5 MPH, if that doesn't work, I look for a turnoff and get out of the way. I would rather have these kind of drivers in front of me. this is only on 2 lane roads (one in each direction).

On the highway, i will also speed up by 5 MPH, if that doesn't work, i'll slow down a little, that usually gets them to pass.

I will coast to a red light if it is safe to do so. I have 250,000 miles since my last brake job, with plenty to go. How often do people pass you approching a red light, slam on their brakes just to have you pass them because you have maintained your speed while they are stopped?

Normally I do 5 over esp when the speed limit is 35 or 25 mph. So I won't speed up or puil over, they can sit back there. If they get real obnoxious back there then I'll start easing up and let the speed go down to the limit. They're not respecting my space so they need to learn a lesson. If they get next to me at a stoplight and look over at me I look back and give them a crazy look which takes care of them every time. If it's a real rough rider type then I'll lay on the crazy look extra good so they don't think twice about anything.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Originally Posted By: KingCake
Put on cruise control and brake check every few minutes. One time a guy got out of his car and threatened me.

You sound like you could use a good punch to the face.

I'm not the one breaking the law.

Yes you are, you brake-checking nit wit. In any case, I always find my self around and way in front of losers like you.

Just because you carry a gun doesn't mean you don't deserve a punch in the face.

Hey rooflessVW this response is pure evil and its the second time you have a threatened to a punch a BITOGer in the face.

Put a roof over your head, a gate on your mouth and lock it up.

This attitude is sick!

Over here on the back of the car registration renewal notice there was a Moto "The minute you save may be your last"

By the way if you put on cruise control, and then brake, the braking will take the cruise control off. Whats he really telling you ?

Its only a thread but it does drag out the deep intent of the heart, one day we will have to give an account of.

Last edited:
I make sure to stay in right lane and ignore it. What can you do.

The only bad thing I have done is slowed the vehicle subtlety if I see cop is nearby which has worked twice in person getting pulled over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back