2009 Accord Valvetrain Pic - 120k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the valve cover off of my 2009 Accord. K24, 120k miles and driven hard - 7-8k redline pulls every day. Did another VTC actuator, timing chain, all valve guides and tensioner. Guides looked great, tensioner wasn't maxed out, chain did have about half to a whole link extra wear/stretch.

Engine is quiet at startup now. We'll see how long this lasts as I'm still convinced all of these actuators stink. Reason for doing the chain was because last time I did an actuator, the crank and cams didn't all line up TDC. Now they do.

Valvetrain, as well as the front of the motor all look super clean. I'm gonna keep my T6 4-5k regiment.

https://imgur.com/a/iedEi

Smaller lobes are the regular cam profile. When I crossover into VTEC engagement at 4K the larger cam lobe opens the valves longer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: redhat
Had the valve cover off of my 2009 Accord. K24, 120k miles and driven hard ... Did another VTC actuator, timing chain, all valve guides and tensioner. Guides looked great, tensioner wasn't maxed out, chain did have about half to a whole link extra wear/stretch.
Nice and clean. Were the chain, tensioner, VTC actuator a DIY job? If is was, how difficult compared to timing belt-tensioner change on other Hondas.
About wear/stretch. Does the tensioner compensate well or does it get slightly off timing.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Timing chain stretched that much in 120k, I would not call it nice, doesn't matter how clean it looks inside.

Must not be familiar with the 2006-2012 K24 Hondas.

Looks clean and it is nice you can do the stuff yourself. Always makes it better

Now having said that.
smile.gif

Familiar or not 120,000 miles that much stretch? And people give me .... about my GMs.

I have yet to have a timing chain problem even in my 11 second modified cars or any of my vehicles that tow heavy and those sir are what get driven hard.
smile.gif

I'm a GM fan through and through. But those DOHC 3.6 love their timing chains.

I'm a GM fan through and through. But those DOHC 3.6 love their timing chains.

Truth that is why I don' t have one.
smile.gif

Nothing wrong with having to do one or what you had to do. Mechanical stuff breaks., but I feel like sometimes on BITOG other brands get a pass for known issues but GM no pass always poo. Known problems on Toyota/Honda/ETC get a pass. Know problems on GM stuff? No pass your car is poo, you are stupid.
smile.gif

The engine looks good, I have to say I'm disappointed the chain had slack after 120k. My previous 2006 with the K24 had 140k and was purring along just fine. Hopefully the occasional VTC rattle won't kill my chain.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Timing chain stretched that much in 120k, I would not call it nice, doesn't matter how clean it looks inside.

Must not be familiar with the 2006-2012 K24 Hondas.

Familiar or not, 7-8k redline pulls everyday for 8 years, I'm not surprised it's stretched.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
The engine looks good, I have to say I'm disappointed the chain had slack after 120k. My previous 2006 with the K24 had 140k and was purring along just fine. Hopefully the occasional VTC rattle won't kill my chain.

I thought you had this repaired as Honda has a fix now, or are you referring to the rattle you had before it was fixed. IMO, if the actuator is ignored it WILL lead to timing chain stretch and worse.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
Originally Posted By: gregk24

I thought you had this repaired as Honda has a fix now, or are you referring to the rattle you had before it was fixed. IMO, if the actuator is ignored it WILL lead to timing chain stretch and worse.

I am referring to the new updated part. It rattles at times too, not nearly as much as the previous part though.

IMO, if the actuator is ignored it WILL lead to timing chain stretch and worse.

Bingo.

Here's a little bit of info. This car is now on it's 4th VTC actuator. At 55k, OEM (old part no.) actuator was replaced with another old part. At 90k, the second actuator was replaced with a revised part number. Now at 120k a new actuator (same new part no.) went in with chain, guides and tensioner.

120k of actuators ratting the chain to death, two of which (90k), being the old part number which rattled every startup versus every one our of four.

Plain and simple, for those who aren't familiar, 2008-2012 K24Z2 and K24Z3 in Accords, CRVs, Crosstours, TSX all will probably eventually have this issue. It is what it is. Older Ks didn't have this. Newer... maybe, probably not enough miles on them yet.

Besides that, excellent motor, cams looked great, never any bottom end noise, pulls strong and hard. I've seen K20s in EP3s with 250k+ with the snot beat out of them, no chain issues... not this actuator.

Last edited:
Smaller lobes are the regular cam profile. When I crossover into VTEC engagement at 4K the larger cam lobe opens the valves longer.

Hmmm, VTEC crossover is right at 5000 RPM on my 2012 with the K24z3. Was that updated in 2011 with the refresh?

IMO, if the actuator is ignored it WILL lead to timing chain stretch and worse.

Bingo.

Here's a little bit of info. This car is now on it's 4th VTC actuator. At 55k, OEM (old part no.) actuator was replaced with another old part. At 90k, the second actuator was replaced with a revised part number. Now at 120k a new actuator (same new part no.) went in with chain, guides and tensioner.

120k of actuators ratting the chain to death, two of which (90k), being the old part number which rattled every startup versus every one our of four.

Plain and simple, for those who aren't familiar, 2008-2012 K24Z2 and K24Z3 in Accords, CRVs, Crosstours, TSX all will probably eventually have this issue. It is what it is. Older Ks didn't have this. Newer... maybe, probably not enough miles on them yet.

Besides that, excellent motor, cams looked great, never any bottom end noise, pulls strong and hard. I've seen K20s in EP3s with 250k+ with the snot beat out of them, no chain issues... not this actuator.

I am betting many of the chain issues are related to low oil. I'm not saying the VTC doesn't play a part but many of these 2008-2010 and even some 2011 K24's do burn oil and owners probably don't check like they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back