How Do You Handle Tailgaters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I don't really have this problem, but I do find that the majority of people feel like racecar drivers on their way home from work from being couped up in a cubicle all day I guess. I must say it sure is nice driving in the middle of a weekday it's like nobody is around.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I didn't know the left lane was legal to speed in. How much over the speed limit can I go in the left lane and not get a ticket? I can see it now, but officer I'm in the left lane, isn't called the fast lane?

Your feelings are irrelevant. It is not your job to enforce the law. I don't care if you are already doing 5 over or even 90mph. If you are in the left lane and are impeding someone's progress, MOVE OVER.

Put on cruise control and brake check every few minutes. One time a guy got out of his car and threatened me.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Put on cruise control and brake check every few minutes. One time a guy got out of his car and threatened me.

You sound like you could use a good punch to the face.

Originally Posted By: George7941
In the city I find coasting to a red light really annoys the tailgater since they are used to accelerating towards a red light and then slamming on the brakes. They decide to change lanes instead of being behind a driver who comes up to a red light gradually.

If I "know" the light I slow to 20-30 mph way ahead of time so I'll still be coasting when it turns green... slide it into 3rd and I'm gone!

I don't have a problem with interstate tailgaters when I'm in the right lane. They know how to pass.

At night, I have a headache rack on my truck with LED's that point back. Works great and cars back wayyyyy off.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

I'm not the one breaking the law.

I didn't know the left lane was legal to speed in. How much over the speed limit can I go in the left lane and not get a ticket? I can see it now, but officer I'm in the left lane, isn't called the fast lane?

Your feelings are irrelevant. It is not your job to enforce the law. I don't care if you are already doing 5 over or even 90mph. If you are in the left lane and are impeding someone's progress, MOVE OVER.

THIS. Some people like to argue that they are speeding, doing 5 or 10 miles per hour over, in the left lane, and thus, dont need to move out of the left lane. NO. You need to be constantly scanning your mirrors. If you are in the left lane, and someone is directly behind you and you can get over, then move your butt over. It is not your job to be left lane police, traffic enforcer, or entitled idiot that sits in the left lane. It is a PASSING lane. Your feelings have nothing to do with anything. MOVE OVER.

This seriously needs to be taught every year in high school. There are just TOO many flat out IDIOTS out there that just park their behind in the passing lane without a care in the world. I now pull up next to them, stare at them until they give me eye contact, and not so politely tell them to move the [censored] out of the passing lane. I dont recommend my approach, but it works for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually it is my job. It's every citizen's job. That's why we have the 2nd amendment. [removed] I'm tired of thugs ruining this country.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually it is my job. It's every citizen's job. That's why we have the 2nd amendment. I'm tired of thugs ruining this country.

Try again. The 2nd amendment isn't there so you can "enforce the law". Unless you are a certified peace officer in your state, then no, it is not your JOB to be a left lane idiot. You may choose to do so becuase you are a bufoon, but you and everyone else would be better off just moving over and getting out of the way. You dont know why that person is in a hurry. Is their wife dying at a hospital with minutes to live? Are they rushing a person to the hospital with minutes to live? Why do you care? Why be a jerk? MOVE OVER.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Actually it is my job. It's every citizen's job. That's why we have the 2nd amendment. I'm tired of thugs ruining this country.

Try again. The 2nd amendment isn't there so you can "enforce the law". Unless you are a certified peace officer in your state, then no, it is not your JOB to be a left lane idiot.

Castle doctrine disagrees with you. I'm standing my ground.

Standing your ground? In the left lane of a 70 mph highway, doing 68 mph? Is that how you choose to stand your ground? What are you talking about? What does stand your ground have anything to do with driving down a highway courteously?

Standing your ground? In the left lane of a 70 mph highway, doing 68 mph? Is that how you choose to stand your ground? What are you talking about? What does stand your ground have anything to do with driving down a highway courteously?

the car is an extension of one's house. someone can't make me move.

I'm not the one breaking the law.

Yes you are, you brake-checking nit wit. In any case, I always find my self around and way in front of losers like you.

Just because you carry a gun doesn't mean you don't deserve a punch in the face.

^^^This guy get's it!!!!!

I agree with you rooflessVW. I use the NASCAR approach to the left lane. Say I'm going 78-79 in a 70 mph zone and someone runs me down from a long way behind me I will gladly get over to the right lane and let them go on by. When traffic is kind of slow when I'm going 78-79 in a 70 mph zone I'm usually passing everyone else. When it is a busier time for traffic then I get passed much more often. Better off to let them go on their way at 80-90 mph.

In James City county the police love to tailgate people. And it's greatly annoying. It seems like they do this to try to push you to go just a bit faster so that they can pull you over and give you a ticket. It's highly annoying and has made me not care for them much at all. Very poor for good public relations.

the car is an extension of one's house. someone can't make me move.

It seems that your understanding of Castle Doctrine is just as flawed as your understanding of the proper use of the passing lane.

In most states, slower moving traffic is obligated to keep right and brake-checking is prohibited, so you're basically arguing that we should all be shooting at you for blocking the passing lane.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
I agree with you rooflessVW. I use the NASCAR approach to the left lane. Say I'm going 78-79 in a 70 mph zone and someone runs me down from a long way behind me I will gladly get over to the right lane and let them go on by. When traffic is kind of slow when I'm going 78-79 in a 70 mph zone I'm usually passing everyone else. When it is a busier time for traffic then I get passed much more often. Better off to let them go on their way at 80-90 mph.

In James City county the police love to tailgate people. And it's greatly annoying. It seems like they do this to try to push you to go just a bit faster so that they can pull you over and give you a ticket. It's highly annoying and has made me not care for them much at all. Very poor for good public relations.

Cops around here tend to settle in your blind spot, hoping you starting driving "erratically" as you continually turn back to check for safety.
mad.gif

Perfect example of why these laws shouldn't be on the books.

Originally Posted By: George7941
In the city I find coasting to a red light really annoys the tailgater since they are used to accelerating towards a red light and then slamming on the brakes. They decide to change lanes instead of being behind a driver who comes up to a red light gradually.

Yeah, that is a favorite methodology of mine also!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back