Chevrolet Tahoe 3rd generation reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's 3rd generation?

The 4L60E has a undeserved bad reputation, They're actually a pretty good units, GM constantly updated them 'til end of production in 2009.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Friend of mine is on his 3rd tranny. Junk.

I always enjoy these stories, The original unit last 150K, Then the "rebuild" last 15-20K.......And it's the transmissions fault?

It's the Technicians JOB to find what went wrong? Throwing frictions at a transmission rarely works long term, Then you have customers that want the cheapest price.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: KingCake
Friend of mine is on his 3rd tranny. Junk.

I always enjoy these stories, The original unit last 150K, Then the "rebuild" last 15-20K.......And it's the transmissions fault?

It's the Technicians JOB to find what went wrong? Throwing frictions at a transmission rarely works long term, Then you have customers that want the cheapest price.

Nice try. GM replaced them with GM units under extended warranty.

What's 3rd generation?

The 4L60E has a undeserved bad reputation, They're actually a pretty good units, GM constantly updated them 'til end of production in 2009.

There's one left in our driveway, my son's Yukon. 200k miles and going strong. Most 4L60E's do their job silently without accolades.

I believe this is the same transmission in my truck. Plenty of vehicles out there with these pushing 250k+ on most likely original DexIII ATF. Yeah it's the transmissions fault when they fail...

Were there any changes throughout the years? I didn't realize it was used for so many years.

My mechanic has a 96 Suburban that is over 300k. Original transmission, and like some mechanics, his time is spent on customer's vehicles...not his.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I believe this is the same transmission in my truck. Plenty of vehicles out there with these pushing 250k+ on most likely original DexIII ATF. Yeah it's the transmissions fault when they fail...

Were there any changes throughout the years? I didn't realize it was used for so many years.

Lots of changes, by the last few years they were much improved

What's 3rd generation?

2007-2014 model years

Everything that applies to 2007 new body - 2013 pickups applies.

- Some engines have had issues related to AFM, but there are known, permanent fixes.
- Dashboards can crack.
- Some issues with EVAP systems (usually vent solenoid).

The 4L60E really isn't that bad. I have sold a few, but I have also seen them do over 400K miles with little to no maintenance. The 6L80E is a better transmission, but I wouldn't pass up a truck I wanted just because it has a 4L60E.

I sell a lot of front hubs for them, but its generally trucks with huge aftermarket wheels ("rims"). Huge rims + rubber band tires + bad roads = bad hubs.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
What's 3rd generation?

2007-2014 model years

Everything that applies to 2007 new body - 2013 pickups applies

That makes since for the Tahoe I guess, I call them GMT-900 platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back