5w20 OK in hi mile 1ZZFE Corolla?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil on my 280000 mile 2000 Corolla a few weeks ago. Just today while cleaning out my car junk bin, I realized I put 5w20 Valvoline white bottle in my engine, while it calls for a 5w30. Can I safely let it go or should I change it out?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Throw a can of STP in the oil to thicken it up.

Don't do this.

A bottle of STP or Motor Honey should bring you back to 5W-30.

That's freaky. I swear I didn't read CT8's post before posting.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Bad advice, each.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Is it back spec'd for 5w20? If not I'd change it.

yes, MY2000 1zzfe is back spec'd, allows 5w30, 5w20, and 0w20.
74818_Toyota_Motor_Oils.jpg

...though I've run 0w30GC in my buddies '03 with no ill effects. though at that time it only had a measly 180,000 on it. getting ready to do the summer oc on it, just crossed 200k, gonna get vwb 5w30...I do have max life, but...eh...

It will be fine but is it burning oil? I assume you must be with that era and mileage. Oil will be fine but keep an eye on the level.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

Don't do this.
But it is the racers edge !!!

Put in rislone high mileage compression repair, it will thicken thevoil and clean your ring groove at the same time

Originally Posted By: akela

I'd rather simply add 0.5..1 quart of 15w40

that's not how viscosity works

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Originally Posted By: akela

I'd rather simply add 0.5..1 quart of 15w40

that's not how viscosity works

akela, there are some great folks here that can explain why that is. Also I believe oil 101 touches on it, - you can also look up a couple of charts to see where the oil's properties would end up, based on mixes with different brands (enter different visc @ temperature).

OP: Backspecced, good to go, save your money.

CONGRATULATIONS on your 280K milestone!
cheers3.gif
More than a quarter million miles!

Besides routine maintenance, what work have you had to do to her?

Last edited:
It was back spec'd to 5W20, so no worries. Keep an eye on the oil level, if it drops top it off with 5W30, otherwise leave it alone until the next oil change. Then go back to 5W30.

Originally Posted By: 55Test
I changed the oil on my 280000 mile 2000 Corolla a few weeks ago. Just today while cleaning out my car junk bin, I realized I put 5w20 Valvoline white bottle in my engine, while it calls for a 5w30. Can I safely let it go or should I change it out?

Leave it. LOL You didn't see the weight of the oil before or while changing it? I mean, sounds a bit fishy....

In any case, you're fine. The early 2000's vintage 5W-30's sheared down to 5W-20 in a couple thousand miles anyways and never blowed' your engine up. You're in upper Canada and there are several here that have used lighter oils in cars that called for 5W-30 with no problems. I'd just keep an eye on the consumption and only change it early if it seems to be burning a lot...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Yeah, panic and pour worthless, overpriced Group 1 gunk with almost no additives in it!

I believe you, you frequently don't read threads before posting trash advice...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

Leave it. LOL You didn't see the weight of the oil before or while changing it? I mean, sounds a bit fishy....

In any case, you're fine. The early 2000's vintage 5W-30's sheared down to 5W-20 in a couple thousand miles anyways and never blowed' your engine up. You're in upper Canada and there are several here that have used lighter oils in cars that called for 5W-30 with no problems. I'd just keep an eye on the consumption and only change it early if it seems to be burning a lot...

In his defense, I've grabbed a jug of 0-20 from my stash, and dumped it in the mustang before. Just got home from work, was tired and didn't give it a second thought until I looked at the empty jug..

Originally Posted By: Timo325
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

In his defense, I've grabbed a jug of 0-20 from my stash, and dumped it in the mustang before. Just got home from work, was tired and didn't give it a second thought until I looked at the empty jug..

I hope your engine didn't blow up...
wink.gif
laugh.gif

If it's like the 1.5 in my xB, it'll probably shear it due to the long chains (although I don't think you have VVT-i?)-just run it 5K, don't go too long (believe 5K is the recommended OCI anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back