M1 0w40 or EDGE 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening BITOG. For a friends older Mercedes sedan. Which would you use; M1 0w40 or EDGE 0w40?

Vehicle is out of warranty also. I thought M1 is good but not up to date on this weight of oil since my Camry doesn't require it

Probably no difference since both meet MB specs. The M1 will currently cost $13/jug at WM after mfg rebate. The Edge at least $22 and no rebates. For that reason I'd go Mobil 1. Buy a year's worth of oil changes by end of April. Or you can wait until December and hopefully buy the Edge for $10/jug at AutoZone clearance.

I went with the edge 0w-40 after reading bits of info that M1 downgraded a bit.
I run it in a 2013 Audi S8 4.0 TT

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Both are quality oils. Your car won't know the difference.

yep

For Mercedes gasser engines, it's usually MB 229.5 which both Mobil 1 and Castrol have.

You could also get a 5 quart jug with a Mobil 1 filter at Pepboys, they have it for $33 and you get the $15 rebate instead of the $12 rebate for just the oil. You'd be hard pressed to find a good cartridge filter for $5 extra.

I am convinced the Castrol is a little better oil as they currently sit, however in actual practice it is admittedly not likely to make any real difference.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
If both are approved for the application, whichever you can get cheaper. They are both excellent oils.
Pretty much my favorite rule of life.

Well the Exxon Valdez incident happened as well in 1989. Neither has been perfect. I didn't buy Exxon gas for over 20 years due to what happened in Valdez. I lifted my ban in Exxon after thinking about the fact that our elected officials placed an unconstitutional tax on Exxon Mobil.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
M1 because BP caused the oil spill in the Gulf.

Don't forget the Exxon Valdez spill.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Castrol Edge 0W-40 is the better oil.

In a BMW.

In any car.

I believe this is because M1 lost the LL-01 spec for BMW, but Castrol still has it. The under hood sticker on my Mercedes has a Mobil 1 sticker. I've used both, shouldn't really matter. I'd just get whatever is on sale. Still got a big stash of Castrol 0w40 when Autozone had it for $10 for a 5 quart jug, but have also used Mobil 1 from the previous rebate.

They both meet spec so it doesn't really matter. I just vote with my wallet.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Castrol Edge 0W-40 is the better oil.

In a BMW.

In any car.

I believe this is because M1 lost the LL-01 spec for BMW, but Castrol still has it. The under hood sticker on my Mercedes has a Mobil 1 sticker. I've used both, shouldn't really matter. I'd just get whatever is on sale. Still got a big stash of Castrol 0w40 when Autozone had it for $10 for a 5 quart jug, but have also used Mobil 1 from the previous rebate.

They both meet spec so it doesn't really matter. I just vote with my wallet.

Considering SAPS levels in M1 and shearing, I am not sure about using it in DI engines.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Considering SAPS levels in M1 and shearing, I am not sure about using it in DI engines.

He said older MB car that's out of warranty so probably not a DI engine. Depending on how old, it might even just call for a 229.3 spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back