Jaguar XE 25t Loaner - Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife's Jag XF was in the shop last week for a $175 oil change and some warranty work (timing chain cover gasket replacement and power steering rack replacement). She got the use of a 2017 XE loaner for the week. She let me drive the XE a couple of times...
laugh.gif

Impressions:

Driveability: For a 2.0 liter turbo four, power was impressive and adequate for Houston area traffic. Drama-free acceleration to Houston-area freeway speeds, good passing power, etc. Turbo lag was a bit of challenge at times, though. Fun factor was high.

Fuel economy: Gas used for the week in the XE was less than 10 gallons, while the XF would have used over 15 gallons.

Ride and handling: Actually pretty similar to the XF. XE felt a bit more nimble, but that's what I would have expected as it is smaller than the XF.

Interior: Nicely appointed, heavily bolstered front bucket seats, very nice leather. More plastic trim in the cockpit than the XF.

Ingress/egress: I'm 5'11" and consistently bumped my head on entering, despite having the seat set at lowest position. Exiting the car was less of an issue.

Rear leg room: With driver's from seat positioned for my tastes, there was less than 8-inches of leg room. Likely suitable for small children only.

Exhaust manifold had "FoMoCo" stamped on it, so this is apparently not the Jag engine. And, yes, there was an oil dipstick!

Photos:

AF1QipN-Wm9gwITwwIco3zCf0cpZTN2kbojA53PJFqIk

AF1QipOPla7QsR6hzNYeYQ3NBDKa8DcwqrsPFXd5RvT6

AF1QipNvyPR435od256uw9eVNe9Q5vk1tv8yJTLALhLa

AF1QipN-RymstDP1DXdLJiqfnDpcbmDDJ7Xw1ufdunl5

You need to make your images public. Else we can't see them.

I test drove an XE 3.0 awd last year. I think it's a great looking car, but the driving dynamics just did not impress me. Also, for the price, some of the interior materials were lacking.

After the breakup of the Premiere Auto Group (Volvo/Jaguar/Land Rover/Aston Martin) and Mazda partnership....all the former Ford partners took their own use of the 2.0L 4 cylinder used by Ford. I'm not sure the time frame, but Ford supplies parts to the former partners for X years after the breakup.

Mazda used it as the basis for Skyactiv, Volvo does a super charge/turbo charged version, Land Rover has a turbo charged version in the Evoque and the above mentioned Jaguar. It seems to be a very well built engine.

I find so many cars today have the same lines and looks , I wouldn't know a Jag from a Kia .

One thing with that car that's weird is the odd numbering speedo .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
I find so many cars today have the same lines and looks , I wouldn't know a Jag from a Kia .

One thing with that car that's weird is the odd numbering speedo .
They all look almost the same.

I'm guessing this Jag is basically a dressed up Ford Fusion Ecoboost? It looks just like one,exterior and identical interior.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'm guessing this Jag is basically a dressed up Ford Fusion Ecoboost?

No, it's a different platform, not associated with Ford.

As for the interior, the XE is actually quite a bit smaller compared to Fusion, and designed very differently, too. I can't see how you are finding it identical.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

As for the interior, the XE is actually quite a bit smaller compared to Fusion, and designed very differently, too. I can't see how you are finding it identical.

Maybe it's just me,since all cars nowadays look like they are came out of the same mould,but he did say it had FordMoCo on the manifold. Maybe not a Fusion clone,but a rebadged 2.0 Ecoboost Ford?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I'm with you. Completely different cars. The XE is all aluminum and the 2.0t is a Jaguar Land Rover design. FoMoCo is listed as a supplier for the cars. Either they simply supply parts or they used some from the old parts bin.

Very nice looking I think. I have ridden in a Jaguar exactly once in my life, but I remember it so that says something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back