CMP Advanced Maintenance Class M1 Garand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
The Civilian Marksmanship Program offers in three day class in which you build (and keep) an M1 Garand. I completed the class this week. The cost was $800 for the class, billed in advance. Lunch is provided. Tools and benches are provided. You paid for the rifle, including AL state sales tax (now required, even if the rifle is shipped) when the class was done. About $1100, including the tax.

What you get: USGI receiver, new Criterion barrel, new stock/hand guards with CMP cartouche, new op rod spring. All other parts are USGI that have been inspected, reparkerized, and the case of the op rod, rebuilt and reparkerized (new piston, welded and remachined tab and bolt camming area).

Day one started with the most awesome tour (no pictures...though I longed to take some, it's US property, and the CMP is now a contractor, so you have to follow the government rules...). We saw where rifles were brought in and unpacked. They found a gas trap in perfect original condition last week. Expect to see that one go up on the auction site. Expect to see it bring high five, or even six, figures. They find a lot of basket case rifles that are stripped for parts. They had laid out a ton of unusual rifles that had been uncrated over the years: complete M1Cs, M1Ds, a gas trap, IHC, WRA, HRA, SA models, a repatriated rifle from a dead Vietcong soldier, a repatriated rifle taken from the Taliban last year, and I wish I could remember all of what we saw.

Rifles are all checked by an armorer. Rifles are put out for sale, or repaired, or rebuilt, or scrapped, depending on what they find before going to test, which is in an automated jig, covered by a guard, in contained booth. They're then graded, and put up for sale.

You choose the receiver. To be honest, the picking are slim on receivers. Most had some pitting. Mine was a 1,067,XXX SA and had a bit of pitting, but the sight teeth were sharp and it was one of the early ones. There were receivers with zero pitting, but much later numbers. All were SA. There was a 56,XXX receiver, but it had a lot of pitting, up and down the receiver legs, on the front by the threads and all around the outside...it was early, but it was ugly...no one chose it.

As you build it, each part is checked. Any parts can be swapped out during the build, to ensure a good fit/function. No swapping to get a specific/correct part. I ended up with an early SA trigger housing, early SA op rod (no relief cut) and early SA bolt, but that was more luck of the parts bin than any real planning on my part. No Winchester receivers, but a few Winchester bolts and other parts were available. The guys teaching the class, all custom shop armorers (and general, salt-of-the Earth, good folks) had nothing good to say about Winchester receivers. They were SA and HRA fans.

The build starts with lapping the bolt to the receiver. Install and time the barrel (using leveling rods and an eyeball). Ream the chamber to size using the lapped bolt and a pull through reamer. That and the tour took the first day.

Day two: Install the rear sight group. Checking the fit, tension and function. Build the trigger group, check fit and function. Install the magazine parts. Install the gas block. Select an op rod and check for smooth operation with the bolt (gravity test). Fit the new stock. Mine took some filing to fit. Then check timing, particularly, will the op rod catch release with a timing gauge (which simulates a full magazine). Mine didn't. We tried a couple of different bullet guides, none of which timed properly, before we peened the bullet guide bump that engages the op rod catch accelerator. Then it timed perfectly, releasing just as the gauge pushed the follower to the bottom of the magazine well.

On day three, we peened gas block splines, to tighten up gas blocks, and honed the rear hammer hooks to remove creep in the trigger. We had the rifles test fired in the rig I described above. All but one worked on the first try. They swapped gas blocks, with no luck, but a new op rod fixed it. Gas blocks and op rods are in short supply. They all measure out of spec when they are brought in, but no more exist...so, op rods are rebuilt and gas blocks are simply function checked at the end of the build.

I had a great time. My fellow builders were all good guys. Some had upwards of 20 Garands. For some, this was their first. Some were very familiar with gun-smithing, some weren't. All were excited about the class. All were polite, personable guys, who ranged in age from late 20s to early 70s. We all had Garands in common. We had an impromptu class dinner at a local brew-pub.

I learned things about the rifle that I didn't know before, despite being an owner and an avid reader, as well as learned the techniques and procedures for building one.

If you get a chance - You simply have to do this!

Cheers,
Astro

Day one, barrel installed, reaming the chamber to size. Light hand pressure only...
IMG_3685_zps3z9pqgkw.jpg

Day two...a bucket o' parts...

IMG_3687_zpsqrtrs2mi.jpg

The bolt - you can just see the lapping marks:
IMG_3686_zpsefovddui.jpg

Trigger group parts:
IMG_3688_zpsrhl1elmc.jpg

Trigger group:

IMG_3689_zpsqxhagmvq.jpg

Stock fitted, magazine parts installed, op rod checked.

IMG_3698_zpsqdpwwror.jpg

One US Rifle, Cal. 30, M1 - complete and ready to fire.

IMG_3701_zpsn2lgekhp.jpg

Awesome!

I have both the SA and Winchester. I enjoyed your comments about them, which are true in my case. I went out of my way to get a Winchester field grade, I believe that's what they called it at the time. The SA shoots like a dream, and the Winchester will fire the first round, eject it, then the second round is fed up and over the chamber with the bullet pointing up and out on an angle. I have to get it to someone more knowledgeable than I am about it and have it looked over.

That looks awesome! I'd love to do that!!

Did the stock already have a finish on it? I'd love to finish or refinish one myself.

Do you need prior knowledge with a Garand , or is it ok to go in completely green?

Looks like you had a great time!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
That looks awesome! I'd love to do that!!

Did the stock already have a finish on it? I'd love to finish or refinish one myself.

Do you need prior knowledge with a Garand , or is it ok to go in completely green?

Looks like you had a great time!

No prior knowledge or experience are needed. You've got to apply during the fall lottery window (November) and get a spot. Then, you've got to pass the background check (NICS) and your credit card has to clear...

There isn't a finish on the stock at the moment. Just a light walnut stain. Linseed oil is how they were finished back then, but you'll see them with all kinds of finishes now. I'm a fan of the traditional oil finish.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Awesome!

I have both the SA and Winchester. I enjoyed your comments about them, which are true in my case. I went out of my way to get a Winchester field grade, I believe that's what they called it at the time. The SA shoots like a dream, and the Winchester will fire the first round, eject it, then the second round is fed up and over the chamber with the bullet pointing up and out on an angle. I have to get it to someone more knowledgeable than I am about it and have it looked over.

First step in trouble shooting operating problems is to replace the op rod (main) spring. A good quality spring is about $10.

Next, be certain that you're only firing appropriate ammo. M2 ball was a 150 grain round at about 2800 FPS. Greek surplus M2 ammo from the CMP is a good choice. PPU, American Eagle, and Sellier & Bellot make ammo loaded to M2 specs.

Beware hunting ammo, even 150Gr. It causes too much pressure for the operating system, slamming the bolt harder into the receiver than was intended and that can fracture the receiver or bend the op rod.

Took it to the range today with a good friend who brought his 1903 Springfield.

The Garand functioned flawlessly. I love hearing the "ping" after the eighth round.

Was shooting off hand, so I was reticent to change the sights in response to my hits, but I reckon it needs a touch of windage adjustment. That's it. It's been cleaned and is ready to go.

I also put three coats of boiled linseed oil on the stock. I thinned the first two with a bit of turpentine, to improve penetration. Thoroughly wiped off the excess. Let it dry 24 hours between each coat. The stock is a deeper, richer color now, with very modest protection against the elements. There are much more durable finishes, but I prefer to keep it as it was when it was built, some 75 years ago. A GI would have only used linseed oil. After WW II, tung oil might have been used, but I like linseed oil. It's something I've used on many furniture projects to bring out the figure and depth in the wood.

Nice. I think that if I were building a mutt Garand now, I would probably toss on a 7.62 NATO conversion barrel. Unlike the old days there are no other mods that need to be made with the new barrels and ammo is so much easier to find in quantity.

I have an old CMP rifle, one of the Danish re imports that were rearsenaled with Dane barrels. It needs a repark and restock job pretty bad, but had no rust on it. Think I paid 400 for her back in 2005/6.

Good job on the build. She is a handsome rifle and should bring you plenty years of joy. It is really amazing how long lived those guns are, seeing service with nation after nation and soldier after soldier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back