Dogs in WalMart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, as long as the dog is under the owners control....I rather enjoy seeing them in stores. I would like to see more openness in regard to dog-friendly establishments actually.

I find filthy and ill mannered people to be far more objectionable than I have any dog.

Last edited:
Dogs need to stay at home. It's dangerous enough just going out in public without adding the potential of a dog bite. Keep em home. Municipalities need to enforce animal control ordinances already on the books. And oh yes, while fido is peeing on the groceries, be sure to be chatting someone up on your cell phone so you will have something interesting
frown.gif
to tell them about.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Personally, as long as the dog is under the owners control....I rather enjoy seeing them in stores. I would like to see more openness in regard to dog-friendly establishments actually.

I find filthy and ill mannered people to be far more objectionable than I have any dog.

Well said!

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

Well said!

01.gif

Usually when I see a dog in a shopping cart they are sitting there looking around and quiet as a mouse since they're used to the activity. The only time I've had issues with dogs are when the dumb dumb owners are looking at their phone while the dog is a few feet in front of them walking. Which is not the proper way to walk a dog and falls under Basic Dog Obedience 101.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I think dogs should be allowed everywhere people are. Not sure why they're not in the US.

Most people know enough to not relieve themselves on the floor and bite other customers.

Note that I said MOST...

People who think their dogs are everybody else's burden to bear drive me nuts.

The problem with dogs as you see them, are actually a problem with people.

Undisciplined people own undisciplined animals. When I lived in Germany never did I see a dog in a public place that was anything but well behaved. That included restaurants, malls, shopping centers, trains, etc...

Funny, I was in Germany for 1 week on business and got to witness a filthy woman relieving herself outside a bar in Koln after begging everybody in sight for a cig and also had to put up with a nearly out of control coworker accusing me and the other American visitors of being complicit in the flattening of Hannover by bomber. I brought up the theories of Machiavelli and pointed out that Germany was fortunate that the US followed the policy of making allies out of the nations it had conquered instead of devastating them so completely they would never again be a threat. I was not impressed with the discipline!

The owners may possibly be at the root of the problems with their pets, but the situation is generally more pleasant for others with only the undisciplined owners around sans their pets. For example, I took my very young daughter sledding in my town once and some obnoxious lady brought a nasty little yippy dog with her...she wasn't even sledding, just hanging around yakking. When I went to push off with my little girl in my lap, the crummy little dog got excited by the motion and tried to jump into the sled with us and bite my daughter...I tried to push it away and it started sinking its teeth into my gloves. I finally gave it a good backhand and sent the thing flying about 10 feet.
The old witch started complaining loudly to the crowd about how some man had hit her dog and asked how he would feel if she hit him like that. My wife saw the whole thing and suggested the lady better leave unless she wanted to have some kind of violence committed against her dog and possibly her...she knew exactly how mad I was going to be and how I was likely to respond. Luckily for everybody, the old hag left quickly after some outraged huffing and puffing.
That lady would have been irritating no matter what, but the situation was only dangerous with her stupid little dog around. Again, even a really moronic person probably isn't going to try to bite a little girl.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

Well said!

01.gif

And I agree too!!
01.gif

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
The dogs are usually better behaved than the kids.

Plus I'd rather look at the dogs than some of the owners. The dogs I smile at while the owners I wince at generally.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I may ocasionally see an ankle biter sticking out of a purse

That's always hilarious!! The little old lady who has a tiny chihuahua in her purse with his head sticking out giving you the evil eye haha

Most dogs in stores are better behaved than the people's children.

Pets are meant to be at home. Enough dog attacks as it is. Despite the opinions posted here, a human comes before a pet anyday and everyday.

No doubt the owner is responsible for a dog's behavior, both in a training sense and legally. That doesn't matter much if there's a problem with a dog and someone gets hurt.

And about a dog "sitting quietly in a shopping cart", I don't want a dog's butt sitting where I'm going to put my food and I don't care how much he licked it or how well the food is packaged.

The Food and Drug Administration's Food Guide lays down the law: with few exceptions, live animals of any kind are not permitted on the premises of a grocery store, a restaurant or other food establishment. The prohibition applies to dogs, cats, birds and other animals. Animals are unsanitary, and the law protects the national food supply from contamination from dog drool, urine, feces and other material that dogs carry on their coats and paws and might leave behind on store shelves or counters.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Pets are meant to be at home. Enough dog attacks as it is. Despite the opinions posted here, a human comes before a pet anyday and everyday.

Since when are dogs only "meant to be home"?? And I fail to grasp the "human comes before a pet" comment in this context.

No offense...but you sound like a rather harsh individual. In my experience, thos that feel similar to you about dogs, are to be kept at a distance.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
No doubt the owner is responsible for a dog's behavior, both in a training sense and legally. That doesn't matter much if there's a problem with a dog and someone gets hurt.

And about a dog "sitting quietly in a shopping cart", I don't want a dog's butt sitting where I'm going to put my food and I don't care how much he licked it or how well the food is packaged.

The Food and Drug Administration's Food Guide lays down the law: with few exceptions, live animals of any kind are not permitted on the premises of a grocery store, a restaurant or other food establishment. The prohibition applies to dogs, cats, birds and other animals. Animals are unsanitary, and the law protects the national food supply from contamination from dog drool, urine, feces and other material that dogs carry on their coats and paws and might leave behind on store shelves or counters.

But it's okay for moms to place a human feces and urine soaked child in a diaper in the cart?? No worries with that, eh?

There is a reason most stores offer disinfectant wipes near the carts. Personally....I'm more worried about human contamination than what any dog might have!

You're the kind of guy they could use there.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Yeah it's Wallyworld but still.

Some of the horror stories that people have about Walmart reaffirm my decision not to do business there.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
You're the kind of guy they could use there.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Yeah it's Wallyworld but still.

Some of the horror stories that people have about Walmart reaffirm my decision not to do business there.

I have to admit, if Pop_Rivit was a greeter, I'd be more likely to go to that Wal-Mart. I'm down to about one Wal-Mart visit a year now due to the general unruliness/total lack of civility at most Wal-Marts in the area.

Dogs are really the least of my concerns, but if they were allowed in the local Wal-Marts, it would be that much worse.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Dogs need to stay at home. It's dangerous enough just going out in public without adding the potential of a dog bite. Keep em home. Municipalities need to enforce animal control ordinances already on the books. And oh yes, while fido is peeing on the groceries, be sure to be chatting someone up on your cell phone so you will have something interesting
frown.gif
to tell them about.

INDEED!

This tomfoolery where dogs and other animals (unless they are a certified
guide dog) are being brought into businesses, and even planes is completely and totally out of hand....

It's not only unfair to the animal (many times the environments are confusing and threatening to the animal, but outrageously inconsiderate to fellow citizens which have no interest in have your pet imposed upon them in such establishments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back