Valve Adjustments on newer Honda's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
For $200 I'd do it myself and then spend the money saved on Snap-on.
smile.gif

Well, I got it down to $100 from the Indy shop. I'm sure they will do it while I wait.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
If the dealer told you that there's no need to worry unless something is wrong....I'd take that to the bank!!! That 02 Accord V6 below never had a valve adjustment and was running just fine when I traded it in.

Bad idea. Exhaust valves tend to get tight potentially burning a valve without warning. Another poster is also wrong when he suggests waiting for them to get noisy. Intakes will get noisy but not exhaust.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
I believe you are wrong on that. Honda specifies valve clearance with cold engine.

Right, coolant temp must be below 100F.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, I got it down to $100 from the Indy shop. I'm sure they will do it while I wait.
Drop the car off the night before so that the engine will be cold in the morning. Or they can use huge fans to cool the engine.

Last edited:
If the valves do need adjusting, won't there be symptom such as noisy valve or unresolved misfire?

Is getting misfire too late? Will misfire always happen when the exhaust valve crosses its limit?

The question is "Is there anyway a valve will burn *BEFORE* giving ample warning via misfire and resultant P030x codes?"

For own Honda vehicles, I believe answer is "NO". All the anecdotes given here so far clearly support that.

An engine with optimally adjusted valves will run smoother and better; this is from experience. If all you're concerned with is that your top end doesn't self distruct, you're probably fine until you notice something bad. At that point it might or might not be too late to prevent expensive damage; there are simply too many variables to make a meaningful prediction.

If the valves do need adjusting, won't there be symptom such as noisy valve or unresolved misfire?

You're supposed to adjust the valves before it gets to that point. That's why they call it "scheduled" maintenance.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

You're supposed to adjust the valves before it gets to that point. That's why they call it "scheduled" maintenance.
56.gif

Bingo! We have a winner!

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Originally Posted By: Schmoe
If the dealer told you that there's no need to worry unless something is wrong....I'd take that to the bank!!! That 02 Accord V6 below never had a valve adjustment and was running just fine when I traded it in.

Bad idea. Exhaust valves tend to get tight potentially burning a valve without warning. Another poster is also wrong when he suggests waiting for them to get noisy. Intakes will get noisy but not exhaust.

Burned exhaust valves due to not making adjustments would happen on the 1997-2001 models of the Honda CRV. By the time it happened, the cost of installing a rebuilt cylinder head exceeded the value of the car.

Is getting misfire too late? Will misfire always happen when the exhaust valve crosses its limit?

The question is "Is there anyway a valve will burn *BEFORE* giving ample warning via misfire and resultant P030x codes?"

For own Honda vehicles, I believe answer is "NO". All the anecdotes given here so far clearly support that.

Maybe they should just change the owners mamnual to "if it gets so loud you cant stand it anymore or it starts misfiring then get them adjusted" as Merk said its not called scheduled maintenance for nothing. Checking clearance is easier than dealing with burned valves.
To answer your question, yes they can be damaged before it sets a misfire code. The seats on aluminum heads are usually stellite press in seats and are very resistant to damage more so than induction hardened seats found in cast iron heads but the valve itself can sustain damage on the sealing area which may not be a total burn through but enough to cause slightly lower compression that will not cause a misfire code.

In any case its best to avoid the risk by doing routine scheduled maintenance at least early in the engines life.
There will come a point that valve clearance has stabilized and once that is confirmed you over a few inspection cycles you can safely stretch out the interval.
On a used vehicle always check them no matter when it was last serviced, many times mechanics are lazy and like to cash in on flat rate times by not doing one bank if the other looks good, this also applies to spark plugs, I have seen quite a few GM dustbuster vans with the original plugs in the rear bank.

I'm surprised by how many modern engines still don't have hydraulic lash adjusters. I guess on these little economy engines it's a cost saving thing. Not sure why they would do that in the more expensive V6. At least the Hondas are easy to adjust once you get under the valve cover (because you can adjust them at the rockers). I have a Nissan Versa with the HR16DE and according to the FSM adjusting the clearance means pulling the cams and replacing the lifters themselves with new over/undersized lifters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back